“Lovely but not quite 5 star” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Fouquet's Barriere
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   46 Avenue George V | 08 Arr., 75008 Paris, France   |
Ranked #14 of 1,798 Hotels in Paris
Melbourne, Australia
“Lovely but not quite 5 star”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Based on reviews I read I had quite high expectations of this hotel and whilst it was lovely there were a few things that tarnished our stay.
First of all, before we arrived we received a form to fill in of our 'favoutites' to make our stay more comfortable. Things like, what colour flowers we preferred (I ticked white and there were purple in the room), what type of music we preferred (there was no music) pillow preference etc etc. I'm not sure what the purpose of this form is if these things arent implemented.
We arrived in a taxi from the airport and there was no one at the door to assist with our luggage or greet us (not very 5 star in my books). So we struggled with our heavy suitcases up to front desk for check in. Not a great start.
We stayed for 3 nights and for 2 out of the those 3 nights we did not receive turndown service. The first night was fine and everything was great. The second night we returned to our room at 10pm and noticed we hadn't received turn down service so I called the front desk and they apologized and said they would send housekeeping up straight away. So we headed to the bar for a night cap. When we returned housekeeping had been. They removed all the used glassware but didn't replace them, nor did they replace the water. So we went without still water that night.
The third and last night we returned late after a day of sightseeing about 11pm and again, no turn down service. I called the front desk and they suggested maybe we had left our 'do not disturb sign on'. We had been out all day, had our room made up that morning from housekeeping so the sign could not have been on. They apologized again and offered to send someone up but it was too late and we were ready for bed.
Aside from the negatives that we encountered, the hotel is really lovely, a great location and sleep quality is excellent. Both myself and my husband commented on how comfortable the bed was.
The bar and staff were outstanding, a special mention to Pepe who was fabulous. Cocktails are wonderful.
Overall a lovely stay but we encountered a few things that should not happen in a 5 star hotel. I have received an apologetic email from management with an offer of an upgrade for next time but I'm not sure we will stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Fabrice M, Directeur général at Hotel Fouquet's Barriere, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for having taken the time to post your remarks on TripAdvisor, following your recent stay at the Hotel Fouquet’s Barrière.

First of all, I would like to personally apologize for the unpleasant experience you had with some of our services. Your observations were immediately investigated and you are absolutely right in your assumptions, we did not provide you with the service you quite rightly would expect from a hotel of our standard.

On a more positive note, it was indeed a pleasure to read that you were overall satisfied with our hotel and its location. Your enthusiasm for our staff is very much appreciated and will be a great source of motivation for the entire team.

Your constructive remarks will certainly help to us to quickly reach the quality we aim.
We all look forward to welcoming you again in a not too distant future.

Fabrice Moizan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

My wife and I celebrated our 30th anniversary in Paris. We stayed at Fouquet's after extensive research on my part from Jan 9-13 2013. The room I requested was the one on Champs Elysses and I asked if they could have it ready upon our arrival from US (around 12 noon). The room included breakfast, a bottle of champaigne and a bouquet of roses. I had requested that they have the bottle upon our arrival but that the roses be brought to the room the following day which was our anniversary. They did everything I asked when I asked: the room was ready for us early, the champaigne was in the room when we walked in, breakfast in the room was brought in at 9:30 the following morning and the roses were in the room before we went to dinner. Perfect, they made me look like a king - now that is service!
Also, on the seond day we noticed there were flying insects in our room - nothing dangerous but certainly not what you 'd expect from a 5 star hotel; probably from the fruit or the roses. They did not hesitate a second: they upgraded us to a suite with balcony on the Champs Elysses and transferred all our things while we enjoyed Paris.
Merci beaucoup! You made our stay unforgettable.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Montreal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

I read another review where someone mentioned this hotel raised the bar, and I have to agree.

Yes it a very expensive hotel but there are more expensive ones in Paris, and at least at the Fouquet you do get exactly what you pay for and expect from a 5 star hotel.

Can't beat the Champs Elysee location! It was magical, especially during the holidays.
Our room was a decent size for Europe, lots of closet and luggage room with a lounge area and good size tub and shower.

The staff were pros. This is a true 5 star hotel.
All wonderful, available, accommodating, attentive and amicable in all the facilities (restaurants, bar, hotel).

Little things such as free suite upgrade, complementary preferred water type and snacks.
The free bottle of champagne made our stay romantic and very memorable!
Restaurant Le Fouquet is like a rite of passage in Paris.
Restaurant Le Diane was beautiful, good food and nice view of the courtyard.
Bar Le Lucien was fun: good for celebrity spotting and surprisingly very good prices for cocktails in Paris and yummy mise en bouche.
The truffled nuts are delicious: my husband still talks about them.

Its a close tie between the Fouquet Barriere and Le Crillon, but the service at the Fouquet is better.

For the size of the suites and palatial feel and more central location the Crillon is better. But don't get me wrong there is a reason why le Fouquet's Barriere is rated #1 in Paris.
The pre arrival guest preferences arrangements, the wonderful concierge and waking up to a view of les Champs is certainly a must, at least once in a life time!
We cannot wait to go back.

Room Tip: Our room was facing the Champs Elysees, it was absolutely MAGICAL! We could see the Paris wheel on...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Fabrice M, Directeur général at Hotel Fouquet's Barriere, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

The entire team joins me to thank you very much for this amazing comment on TripAdvisor following your stay with us during the holidays! Being compared to the top hotels of the world and reading that you enjoyed our services and amenities is definitively a highlight of this New Year!

Our location on the Champs-Elysees is certainly one of our key points and with special services such as the complimentary in room amenities, our various restaurants and bars we hope to ensure that our guests have an exceptional experience.

We are looking forward to welcome you back soon to Paris and the Hotel Fouquet’s Barrière! Again, thank you for having taken the time to give us such wonderful feed-back.

Olympia, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013 via mobile

The Hotel Fouquet's has raised the bar on attention to detail. The rooms are beautiful, the service is outstanding. It is in a great location - right on the famous Champs Elysees. They go out of their way to ensure that you are comfortable and the concierge is simply the best in making suggestions and reservations. My husband cut his finger and needed hydrogen peroxide. One call to the front desk and 15 minutes later, we had what we needed because they sent an employee to the pharmacy. This is just one example of "over the top" customer service. We will be back to Paris in the summer and cannot imagine staying anywhere else.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Fabrice M, Directeur général at Hotel Fouquet's Barriere, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Dear guest,

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us at the hotel Fouquet’s Barrière!

Thank you very much for this wonderful comment on Tripadvisor, which of course I have shared with the entire team. It is always a great source of motivation for our staff to hear that our guests appreciated their services and attention to detail.

We truly hope that your husband is better and that the cut was not too deep.

We are very much looking forward to welcome you back in the summer and will ensure that you will have a memorable stay.

Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

If you are searching for the Best place to stay when in "the city of light" then stop searching because this has to be it!! Dont think you will find a better one.

From all the places in the world we chose to celebrate my birthday in Paris and this hotel was the one I chose. I could not have chosen a better one!

The check in was so smooth at the comfort in our room.

You will satisfy all your senses here;

* SEEING: You will LOVE everything that you see. The decor. The view from the room. The warm colors and style of everything. The ambience. The smiling faces of each and everyone of the staff.

* SMELLING: Everywhere you walk around in the hotel you will smell this lovely scent (from Hermés) that will stay on your mind for a while even when back home and ordinary daily life.

* HEARING: Put your iPhone/iPad on the docking station and enjoy the music you love. Dont worry about the neighbors because the room has soundproof.

* TASTING: Everything we tasted was so delicious. I had the most delicious scrambled eggs at breakfast. Had lovely champagne and so delicious macarons on arrival. Dine at michellin star restaurant if you like.

* TOUCHING: Go to the SPA and enjoy the world of refinement. In your room you have such amazing bathroom amenities for your hair and body that you WILL just Love.

The service is the Best.
The location is the Best.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

It was such a pleasure to read these amazing comments on Tripadvisor!

The entire team is thrilled that they were able to satisfy all of your five senses especially on this important occasion, this is truly what we try to achieve every day. How wonderful that you enjoyed staying with us!

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon, upon your next birthday latest.

Very sincerely,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

This was my first experience at a Lucien Barriere Hotel and I am most impressed especially with the way they make you feel welcome and at home. The staff was very friendly and always looking to help you. The hotel has a cool, chic vibe and I can not get over how quiet the public and sleeping rooms were especially being at the corner of Avenue Georges V and the Champs Elysees. Rooms were very comfortable and very quiet - I was on the first floor and heard no noise from the outside. Food was great in the outlets. Most impressive was the GM of the hotel was so visible and welcoming to all guests.....it starts at the top and you can see it in the staff. I can not wait to return.

Room Tip: I would not worry about getting a noisy room....I was right of the elevator and on the first floor a...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Fabrice M, Directeur général at Hotel Fouquet's Barriere, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear Sharon,

It was such a pleasure to meet you personally last week and I thank you very much for staying with us at the Hotel Fouquet’s Barrière!

Your wonderful comments on TripAdvisor are very much appreciated by the entire team; they are such a great source of motivation!
Indeed, whilst perfectly located on the Champs-Elysees, our guests enjoy quiet rooms and calm inner courtyards to relax.

We are very much looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back soon and to be able to host your guests.

May I take this opportunity to wish you and your beloved ones a very Happy New Year!

lawrence new york
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Very chic hotel. Wonderful location....

Great vibe.. and fun and very cheerful breakfast area...

Staff was polite , but not very friendly.

The room was very cool. but so so tiny and narrow....tried many times to change rooms, but the front desk was not accommodating.

Priced well for a luxury hotel.. I am going back in January and hope to get a better room..

Overall, I do recommend this hotel.....

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Fabrice M, Directeur général at Hotel Fouquet's Barriere, responded to this review, December 29, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your comments on TripAdvisor.

It was a pleasure to read that you were overall satisfied with the hotel, I am however concerned about your constructive remarks about the service of our Front Office team and the comfort in your room. September is indeed a very busy period in terms of occupancy, and I sincerely apologize if we were unable to change rooms at that time.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly for your reservation in January in order to make sure to accommodate the best available room.

The entire team of the Hotel Fouquet’s Barrière wishes you a very Happy New Year!

Fabrice Moizan

Been to Hotel Fouquet's Barriere? Share your experiences!