The only hotel I can remotely compare this one to is the Leela Palace in Bangalore, India.
My son (10 yrs old) and I just had an incredible eight-night stay here; pure vacation with near-zero work stuff for me.
My wife plans all our family related travel, and she always does an amazing job. This was no exception.
Everything was amazing; from the foyer, to the pool, to the workout room, to the lounges and restaurants, to the staff, to the uniforms, to the.... These guys didn't skip any beats... anywhere really. My short issues list is at the bottom.
We speak a little French, and while helpful, I wouldn't say it had a big impact on our visit. You'd be just fine here without it. It's an "international" hotel for sure.
They have some kids program stuff, but we didn't do any of that; seemed too young for my 10-yr old. We used the heck out of the pool though!
You have to be in the mood for high-ceiling, victorian interior design, from a decor standpoint. While they recently modernized everything (something I've never seen done so well at this scale) with a complete shut-down renovation, the old-world style remains. Don't go here if you're looking for "modern" architecture/decore; the photos speak for themselves on this front.
I have to also say that this place trounces the George V Four Seasons in Paris; crushed it.
I asked my son what his favorite things were.
- dessert cart (chocolate eclair)
- the pool
- the beds
- the courtyard (where we would eat/drink/chill)
- the elevator (super cool old, large, lift)
- mango sorbet
- the way the room key works
Here's my list.
- Everything everywhere was always super clean.
- Pool. The pool is stunning with unbelievable views.
- The room. Spacious (we were upgraded to a suite; prolly due to our length of stay and fact we booked through http://www.lhw.com/ ). We didn't see any other rooms, so I can't compare.
- The staff. Across the board everyone was engaged, appeared happy, knowledgable about what they were doing, and seemed proud to be there. Yusef (guy running the courtyard dining area during mornings) and housekeeper (missed her name) were particularly awesome and nice to talk to.
- Live piano in the evenings.
- The courtyard. Awesome place to hang out, chat, drink, eat, chill.
- Super quiet rooms. We stayed on the Honoré street-side which should've kept us up at night, but the recent renovation double-paned all the windows and everything was quiet.
All of this comes at a financial cost of course. Value for price paid ratio was generally just fine however.
My issues with the hotel.
- When you're in "fairly long stay" mode, having to deal with the same menu each day for simple stuff like breakfast, gets a little old. The amazing presentation and experience of each meal is great, but it would've been nice to have some simpler options for breakfast and lunch at times. Felt akin to having 5-star meals... every... single... meal, which just gets old (not to mention expensive) when you're there for awhile.
- Scotch menu. They have Macallan 18, but that's the top of the list.
- Somewhat isolated from the metro. To get to Line 1 is about a 10 minute walk.
My son's issues with the hotel.
- Internet connectivity in the room was spotty (you had to sit in a particular spot in the room)
- "nothing else really"
Awesome place. We'll be back.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Report response as inappropriate
Thank you to both you and your ten year old son for taking the time to post your comments on TripAdvisor regarding your holiday with us earlier this month ! It means a lot to us when we win the younger guests over! Did he not meet Fa-Raon during your eight night stay with us? Maybe not a cat person. But even those who are not, absolutely fall in love, hands-down with our house cat!
We were so pleased that you compared us to another palace that we know so very well, and that we have won you both over! I will share with all my colleagues the reasons why so, and at the same time do know that on your next visit we can do some personalizing of your breakfast and luncheon menus. Our Chefs are amazingly flexible!
Thank you for pointing out Yousef. We all agree, he is a passionate hotelier. Also a big thanks for mentioning your Room Attendant. They love to get the feedback from our guests. And Maxime will be happy about your comment on the Scotch menu!
Tell your son that we continue to work on the internet connectivity, the fact that it is spotty in the room! Why this is so difficult we all don’t know. We never give up though! Hopefully by next visit he will see some improvement!
And finally, a big thanks to your wife for booking you with us!
Thanks for writing!
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.