“Fantastic” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Le Bristol

Expedia.com TheHotels.com
Hotel Le Bristol
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   112 rue du Faubourg Saint Honore | 8th Arr., 75008 Paris, France   |
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #2 of 1,794 hotels in Paris
Bath, United Kingdom
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

We stayed at Le Bristol for two nights. It's not the cheapest hotel in the world by any means, but it is fantastic and you get what you pay for. The rooms are luxurious. The pool on the roof has amazing views and is decked out like a sailing ship.

Anything ordered to the room is incredibly expensive, but for a treat it is worth it.

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking the garden are quieter than those overlooking the road
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel Le Bristo... P, Hotel Manager at Hotel Le Bristol, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for posting your comments on TripAdvisor regarding your stay with us in February.

We are delighted that you consider that the visit was “fantastic” and worth every bit the experience! Also pleased that you found the rooms top notch, and had a chance to experience our most residential pool and deck overlooking Sacre Coeur and Paris’ chimney tops.

We certainly hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Yours sincerely,

689 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Madison, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

Ah, Le Bristol!

We were eager to return, having stayed at the hotel in 2007 to celebrate my wife's 60th birthday. It is one of only four Paris five-star hotels deemed worthy of the assignation "Palace," and it certainly deserves the accolade, seemingly impossibly having become even better than it was last time.

We've been fortunate enough to stay in some of Europe's and America's finest luxury hotels, but very few can compare to Le Bristol. All have extremely high standards of service and everything else one would expect of a fine hotel. But Le Bristol's staff, from the very highest level, President and General Manager Didier Le Calvez, to the lowest level chambermaid, exudes a virtually unique warmth, concern and friendship that is characterized by its absolute genuineness. Those smiles are not painted on, and people at Le Bristol participate in conversations, not merely idly listening to them. Not a trace of obsequiousness to be found.

OK, so Jean-Marie Burlet, Guest Relations Manager, might have used an old trick (of having the doorman slip him our names from the luggage) to enable him to accost us by name upon our delayed arrival, but his greeting was no less genuine. He was present in the lobby virtually every time we passed through, eager to ensure that we were enjoying our stay and ready to offer whatever personal assistance we needed. Other seemingly omnipresent front-of-the-house staff, including Jérémie Tolédano, our receptionist, and Eric Régnier, Front of House Manager, were equally helpful to a turn, Jérémie offering his first-hand experience of the changing moods in Monet's Les Nymphéas rooms before our visit to Musée de l'Orangerie.

One evening, we attended an intimate cocktail party given by the hotel for select guests. Over Champagne and hors d'oeuvres, we chatted at length with Le Bristol's Hotel Manager, Leah Marshall, a gregarious transplanted Canadian by way of California and a veteran in the luxury hotel segment, about our trip, our dining choices and our stay at Le Bristol. When we commented about our observation of the "face" of Le Bristol, she said it was one of the things she insisted on improving even more upon her arrival in 2009. The idea is to eliminate all artifice, treating hotel guests as if they are entering a fine home, not necessarily a commercial establishment. The hotel, family owned since it opened in 1925, was founded on that principle, and it has continually honed and enhanced that image, never more so than in the past few years.

It's no coincidence that, as we were leaving to travel on to London, Jérémie asked us to wait a moment. Leah had asked to see us before our departure in order to bid us farewell personally.

A wonderful, unforgettable stay!

Room Tip: Try for an inside garden view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Hotel Le Bristo... P, Hotel Manager at Hotel Le Bristol, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear Mr. Spielman,

Thank you for your very kind comments you posted on TripAdvisor regarding your recent stay in May. It was a pleasure to meet you, and to share our passion for this fabulous city we love dearly. It was a delight to exchange our thoughts and experiences.

We were delighted that you and your wife found a consistent sincere and natural warmth throughout the Hotel. This is by far the most important objective that we have daily, to show that genuine interest in going beyond what is normally expected.

Jeremy was very touched that you singled him out, and we must admit we were not surprised. I am always so happy when a staff member personalizes an exchange with a guest as you noted in Jeremey’s case.

Once again, our many thanks for sharing your experience.

Yours sincerely,

Studio City, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

I have stayed at many Paris hotels, Le Meurice, Plaza Athenee, Georges V, etc and Le Bristol is, by far, my favorite Paris hotel. The rooms are beautifully decorated and appointed with nice amenities. The restaurants are wonderful and the public areas are gorgeous and inviting. Le Jardin Francais is one of my favorite places to have breakfast. It's cozy, the food is simple and delicious and a great way to start your day.

What I love most about the hotel is the service. They truly make you feel welcome and their service is the best. During a stay last May, my husband and I rented a car and the GPS was not functioning properly and given our trip to Brittany and Normandy, we really could not do without it. The doorman, valet and the concierge all had a go at it and finally, after they all attempted to make it work, the concierge located the manager of the rental car agency and convinced her to go into the office (it was 7:45 am on a Saturday) to replace our car. We were so grateful for this service - it was truly above and beyond. They were so kind to us.

Another favorite thing of mine is Fa-raon, the hotel's Birman cat. J'adore Fa-raon!!!!!!

During the past year, I've stayed at the Bristol 3 times, twice with my husband and once by myself and will be there again in less than 3 weeks.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Hotel Le Bristo... P, Hotel Manager at Hotel Le Bristol, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for voting us your “favorite Paris hotel” on TripAdvisor as a result of your three visits last year! We were very touched particularly as you have compared us to other very fine palaces in Paris!

We are delighted that the overall décor and varied food and beverage choices within the public areas were also inviting to you. Many a guest, resident or not, also enjoys the adventure of trying to spot Fa-Raon as he roams about his kingdom. All the staff, including myself, enjoy Fa-Raon as much.

Thank you for commenting that the overall impression of the staff was welcoming. This point of course is the most important to us. Your example of how the team were able to rally the car rental service was great example of the thoughtfulness we want each and every staff member to impart.

We look forward to seeing you very soon! I hope to meet you personally!

With best regards,

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

First of all I got upgraded (doubly so) - to an enormous corner room. When the porter said it was his favourite room in the hotel - I believed him.

Second, my wife joined me at the end of the trip (somehow she got a free treatment), had afternoon tea and bumped into Beckam - who was gracious enough to pose for a photograph.

But even without these experiences, this is a simply brilliant hotel. I dont what the staff/guest ratio is, but it must be very high. They all acknowledge you whenever you come across them in the hotel.

Beautiful room, lovely swimming pool (no one there), a crazy bar, amazing breakfast. I cannot rate it highly enough. Years ago I used to go to the Ritz in Paris a lot (the General Manager once told me he was having to reduce that all important staff to guest ratio from 3 to 1 to 2 to 1 - he was devastated) and always thought that was my favourite - but a few more trips to the Bristol...And I love the way theyve made a virtue out of the white cat.

Very very classy.

By the way, this is a high end Paris hotel - so its not cheap.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear guest,

Thank you for posting such a positive review on TripAdvisor regarding your recent visit in April.

I was so pleased to read that you were able to enjoy one of our unique and luminous junior suites, and that at the end of the trip your wife was able to share it with you. Speaking of your wife, delighted that she was able to experience a particularly memorable occasion! We are pleased to say that Mr. Beckam, no secret as the world knows, also loved our new evening Bar which we opened last September!

Over the past three years it is true that our staff/guest ratio has significantly grown. There is no secret that in order to have a personalized service at this level of the business, we need to have personable, passionate colleagues who love what they do! We can appreciate that you were a regular at The Ritz in Paris over the years, and are just very happy that you, obviously like many discriminating guests, have noticed the improvements over the years.

And you are quite right, Fa-Raon is of course the star of Le Bristol.

We all look forward to a future visit!

Most sincerely,

3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for four nights with my girlfriend. Overall it was a good experience, albeit very expensive as you can expect from a luxury five star hotel!

The staff were responsive, the room was fantastic and the food exceptional. Room service was always very fast, the internet worked well, as did all of the other services like laundry and concierge.

Two issues:

1) We purchased the "Midnight in Paris" spa package and I have to say that the Jacuzzi was a disappointment. It kept cutting out and it was also blasting cold bubbles, so it was very unpleasant. We left after 20 minutes of our 1 hour session. I recommend the massages, facials and everything else, but the Jacuzzi itself was basically not working properly.

2) Given our large bill, I decided to pay over two days because my bank imposes maximum daily limits on my debit card. On the second last day I paid the first half of the bill, but I made the mistake of telling the lady at reception that I would confirm with my bank that I had enough of a limit to pay the bill in full on the day of checkout (the following day).

That evening I went out with my girlfriend and left the key with the concierge, as normal. Upon returning, I discovered that the manager had confiscated our key. Of course I went to the reception desk and the manager came out, with my key, and he announced (quite loudly) that he had held my key "as a warning". The obvious threat was that he would not give me my key unless I paid the bill, even though I wasn't scheduled to check out until the following day! It was very embarrassing especially with my girlfriend there, and with strangers at the reception.

Of course he gave me my key after I went ballistic. He was then all apologetic but the whole event really soured my experience of staying at the hotel.

The next day of course I paid the balance with no problems and that was that. I suppose arrogant staff are to be expected at a hotel like this, but overall I would expect more professional behavior. We will not be returning to this hotel as a result of this embarrassing incident.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel Le Bristo... P, Hotel Manager at Hotel Le Bristol, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Dear guest,

I am most embarrassed to read your posting on TripAdvisor May 29th.
It is inexcusable that you were given the impression that your word could not be trusted. Most of us have experienced issues with our credit/debit card being blocked when traveling, at some point or another. It personally happened to myself early May when nearly double the due amount was blocked for a pre-authorization creating some unwanted stress on my part!

Needless to say I have met personally with the manager on duty, in addition to his two direct reports, so that all take to heart the importance of daily coaching our employees with respect to handling such sensitive issues, in addition how he himself should have proceeded!

You should never have been put in this position, and I am very ashamed that we embarrassed you in front of others including your lady friend.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at any time. I would appreciate speaking with you myself.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Le Bristol is quite simply an exceptional hotel. The location on the Rue Faubourg Saint Honore is great, and the building (in fact three buildings) is very beautiful, with a magnificent array of rooms and suites, all beautifully furnished under the personal supervision of Madame Oetker. The hotel is blessed with two world class restaurants, delightful public areas and a stunning courtyard garden. However, what sets this hotel apart is its wonderful staff. You truly feel that you have been welcomed into a very special private home, where nothing is too much trouble.

We were allocated a very beautiful suite on the 8th floor, with lovely views of the rooftops of Paris. The suite is quite simply breathtaking with 4 balconies, an enormous salon, and a quite amazing bathroom - we felt very pampered and privileged from the moment we arrived to the second we left.

The hotel is constantly refurbishing its rooms but also has a very comprehensive maintenance programme, so all rooms are of the highest quality, which cannot be said of other top Parisian hotels.

We were fortunate enough to dine at 114 Faubourg twice during our stay, and the food and service were both excellent. We also had breakfast in Restaurant Epicure, which was a truly delightful experience, with quite exceptional service - other 'Palace' hotels could take a leaf or two out of Le Bristol's book.

The management team is led by World class hotel Monsieur Le Calvez, who was formerly at the George V, and has truly made his mark on this very special property. The hotel's General Manager, is Madame Marshall, who is conspicuous by her presence - Madame Marshall is an exceptional hotelier, with a very keen eye for detail and a passion for her profession, which is very clearly shared by the entire team.

There are so many special qualities of this hotel, but the outstanding quality is its staff, and to say one is treated like Royalty, is to do a disservice to the staff, who treat you as you, and genuinely enjoy spending time with you and getting to know you.

Perhaps not everyone will be able to afford to stay at the magnificent Parisian Palace, but I would urge you to save up your pennies, and treat yourself to the last great Parisian hotel.

Thank-you Hotel Le Bristol for a wonderful experience which will stay with us for many years to come.

Room Tip: Choose a room or suite in the Residence or inner courtyard if you want a quiet room.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

I have been staying at the Bristol now many times, alone for business or with my family of three children, and each time it has been a great experience with very warm employees who really make you feel home and really welcome, including with the children (just the beautiful white cat is a little shy...). The last time we went for a few days during the birthday of my 13 years old son and he asked for his birthday breakfast for a Pogne (A brioche with almond). At 11pm when we checked in, we asked if this was possible, I was hopping that the breakfast staff would be kind enough to find a Pogne somewhere... but didn't think it would be possible... what a surprise when at breakfast the chef brought a freshly made Pogne just for Gabriel with his own receipe that will be inhis next book! With 13 candels! Bon anniversaire Gabriel!

I have tried mny of the Palaces and 4/5 star hotel in Paris, for short and long stay, and Le Bristol is really one of the best if not the best. And if you can get a room with a terrasse, then the experience is just magic!

Thank you to all the Bristol staff who really make our stay a great experience each time.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for posting your positive comments on Tripadvisor about you most recent stay at Le Bristol.

As le Bristol is the only Palace in Paris owned by a Eurpoean family, our entire staff works everyday to recreate the feeling of being welcomed into a luxurious family home for our guests. Our cat and mascot Faraon is here to help us with that mission.

We are touched to hear that the warmth and caringness of our staff has made you and your family chose our hotel as your home in Paris. We are always happy to rise to a special challenge given to us by a guest, especially when it means that its realization can lead to a memorable experience.
Of course organizing a birthday Pogne at 11pm Saturday for breakfast Sunday morning created an exciting challenge for our in-house bakery chef. If this was Gabriel's wish, our team would find a way to make it happen.

We are so pleased that you shared your son's wish with us even though you doubted that it was possible, giving us the opportunity to show you just how special Gabriel's 13th birthday was to us and our staff.

We will be sure to pass on your generous compliments to our staff.

Again, we thank you for your loyalty and support and look very much forward to welcoming you back soon.

Hotel Manager

Been to Hotel Le Bristol? Share your experiences!