“Sidecar” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Harry's New York Bar

Harry's New York Bar
5 Rue Daunou, 75002 Paris, France (Opéra)
00 33 1 4261 7114
Improve this listing
Ranked #35 of 265 nightlife in Paris
Type: Bar/ Clubs, Historic Sites, Landmarks/ Points of Interest
Activities: Drinking
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: This old bar was a favorite hangout of F. Scott Fitzgerald and Ernest Hemingway in the 1920s.
Connecticut
7 attraction reviews
“Sidecar”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We found Harry's and it was a pleasant change from wine and beer. The man behind the bar, Lauren's, was a mixologist not a bartender. Fun to watch. He had no personality and did not attempt conversation. However, he made an excellent drink. In the US a bartender usually talks. Anyway, a good find with lots of police patches and university pennants approximately $15 US per drink!

Visited July 2013

London, Canada
4 attraction reviews
“Friendly reception-- great atmosphere!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

we were reluctant to go, but found the reception extremely friendly. go to the piano bar downstairs, A great barman called Gerry (sp?). Advised us about a lovely and reasonable restaurant. Extremely pleasant and amiable! Bar choices wide, if slightly expensive. Returned! Listened to Jazz piano.

Visited May 2013
Devon
8 attraction reviews
“Try the mescal cocktails!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

Good but nothing too special. Nice atmosphere,interesting crowd. We went late Saturday night. Decent music and great history. Most cocktails around 15€ given exchange rate steep but it's not uk pub measures! The mescal cocktails ( The Gringo Killer) packs a bunch!!! Made the shortish walk back to our hotel on a very cold night very pleasant!!!!

Visited April 2013
Ipswich
“Expensive drinks and rude service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

This has no relation to the famous Harry's Bar. My wife asked for wine and we were told curtly 'no wine'. I asked for a brown beer and a wheat beer and was told 'only one beer 1664'
The bartender seemed in a bad mood and kept running round bumping into furniture and muttering. 12 Europe for 2 small beers. I didn't leave a tip.
Big rip off. Avoid

Visited April 2013
9 attraction reviews
“Rude - and we're Parisian”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Rarely, even in Paris, have I come across staff this ungracious. Already having been here and having enjoyed my GreyGoose martinis, I decided to return with 3 of my friends - we are all Parisian. We walked in (Friday night around midnight) to a half-empty bar ... most of the empty tables still had glasses sitting on them. Overlooking this we sat down at a comfortable table almost right next to the bar and piled up the glasses in a corner of the table. After 5-10 minutes, one of us went up to the bar with the intention of ordering, as a table server was nowhere in sight (still our glasses had not been cleared). Finally, before my friend at the bar could be waited on, our server arrived and asked us what we wanted.

I inquired about what vodkas were available, thinking that since I had a bottle of Grey Goose at home I wanted something different. I was told that 'Harrys has many vodkas so just tell me what you want.' Belvedere? No, Harry's doesn't have Belvedere. So what else could he propose me? His curt reply, insinuating that he did not think I could afford it, was that the bar had Grey Goose but it was 16 euros a cocktail so I should consider the house vodka. I explained that I wanted a martini so house would not do. I asked what kinds of gin were available - 'tell me what you want' was again his phrase. Bombay? No. Bombay Sapphire? Non plus. Okay, well what gins could he propose? I chose a Tanquery martini with a lemon twist (and was disappointed when it arrived as a lemon chunk that had clearly not been twisted and rubbed on the rim of the glass). After FINALLY choosing a cocktail that was not my second, not even my third choice, he asked what my friends would like. They ordered an old fashioned, a house Cosmopolitain, and when my fourth friend hesitated over what he would order the server exclaimed 'we are sophisticated here, one comes in and one already knows what one would like to order'. The nerve of the server to say this after everything I had wanted to order was not available... and frankly I wouldn't have thought twice about that fact if he had been courteous instead of snotty.

Drinks came and they were good but not worth the awful service. Honestly I have never before experienced this in my life. I dished back the same attitude as we were paying (at the bar, as he did not come to our table even 20 minutes after we had finished our drinks) - I put 30 euros on the bar to pay as I waited for the check, and he took the money and tried to charge me again (thinking that the money was from one of his colleague's customers). The ONE time this man was friendly was when I was massively rude to him. So, moral of the story of Harry's: avoid this bar unless you can dish out the rude, badmannered, uneducated just as well as the staff does. Only then might you get a teensy bit of respect.

Visited March 2013