“History in the Making” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Prince de Galles Hotel

You added Prince de Galles Hotel to your Saves list
Prince de Galles Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   33 avenue George V, 75008 Paris, France (Champs-Elysees)   |
Ranked #51 of 1,794 Hotels in Paris
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Chicago, Illinois
“History in the Making”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

A historical Luxury Collection property that has gone through needed renovation. Location is awesome, close to everything. You need to have a taste for historical properties to really enjoy this. Service is French.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
SimonRusconi, General Manager at Prince de Galles Hotel, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear Guest, thank you for having taken the time to share your thoughts on Tripadvisor following your stay in the City of Lights. I am more than glad that you have enjoyed the recently reopened Prince de Galles and am looking forward to welcoming you back very soon. Feel free to contact us for any assistance you may need in the meantime. Yours sincerely,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Arabic first
nyc
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

So to be honest we stayed here with points as we are Starwood members. The rooms and the hotel are totally renovated which is great and the location is terrific. However, the rooms are on the small side. More importantly, there are a lot kinks to be worked out. First, the service is very inconsistent. We were told our room would be ready in 20 minutes, that turned into an hour and a half. Second, the waiters in the restaurant have better things to do than wait on you. We waited more than an hour for a sandwich. Third, one night we went to a restaurant Benoit, that was recommended by the concierge at the hotel...a major tourist trap. The only people in the hotel were American and Chinese and the main course, chicken was served raw. Lastly, one day we came back from a day of touring to find our rooms not cleaned...yet we found out the problem related to something about an IPAD in terms of scheduling. Yet, to be fair, when they finally cleaned the rooms, they did a terrific job...more than I see at most hotels. So all in all, good bones, but needs a lot of work.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
SimonRusconi, General Manager at Prince de Galles Hotel, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear Guest, thank you for having experienced the recently reopened Prince de Galles and for your loyalty to Starwood Hotels & Resorts. I regret that you were not entirely satisfied by your stay with us and have made sure that the necessary corrections to the service have been applied. Our Concierge, Bar and Housekeeping Teams have been alerted and we are very thankful to you for sharing with us your valuable feedback. However, I was glad to read that you found the hotel’s location and the room cleanliness to be terrific. We are looking forward to welcoming you again very soon at the Prince de Galles, and remain at your disposal for any assistance you may need.
Yours sincerely,
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Let me start by saying this is not the normal class of hotel that I stay in when traveling. Prince de Galles is swank by my normal travel standards and was a special treat. The service was good, but not great. I was a bit put off that we had to pay extra for internet. At $1100.00 a night it would have been a nice perk. But then again the people who are use to this high-end lifestyle probably don't even think about that.
The suite was amazing! the big windows looking out at roof tops and the inviting breeze made me feel like I was in a French movie. The super comfy king size bed offered one of the best nights sleep I had while in Europe. The blush robes and slippers are nice added touch. Walking to shopping was easy, the good cafes and restaurants were a big further away. All and all a good stay

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest, thank you for having taken the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor following your stay at the Prince de Galles. I am more than glad that you have enjoyed your stay at our recently reopened Hotel. Your comments will be very useful to other travelers and we are looking forward to welcoming you again very soon! I was surprised by your comment regarding the internet charge as internet is totally free for our guests at the Hotel; maybe you were referring to the Multimedia Pack on the television, allowing you to access to a wide selection of movies and music? Please do not hesitate to contact us in order to clarify this confusion and should you require any further assistance. Yours sincerely,
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

No hotel is perfect...but PdG scores high marks in the categories that matter - comfort, service, location, and of course fast and reliable WIFI. As a disclaimer, i recently stayed for ~30% off rack (friends&family discount) AND scored an upgrade to a room with 5m long terrace on the 8th floor, so was lucky to enjoy a much more expensive room than what I paid for.

The hotel was recently renovated to the 9s and it shows. The public spaces and rooms are beautifully appointed, especially the bathrooms. My room was very nice, and decent size by European standards - very comfortable bed, quiet room, and large bathroom with a tub and shower. No complaints. For those that care, the fitness center in the basement was spacious and well equipped - all new Technogym cardio equipment.

I found the service generally to be excellent, although it took a phone call one morning to have my shoes delivered after a shoe shine drop the night before. The concierge Emilie was particularly helpful in getting me a rental car (in automatic) the day before I needed one, no easy feat for a June weekend. I did not eat at the restaurant so cannot comment on the F&B, but like most 5-star hotels in Paris, the menus were priced thru the roof and probably not worth the $$.

I would stay again and would recommend the hotel to anyone who wants to stay in the 8th - the location is very convenient to the metro (George V is a 2 min walk) and shopping/restaurants/tourist attractions are all nearby. If I had any criticism or complaint it would be for the obnoxious price of 9 Euro the hotel charges for an espresso - I get that it is Paris and nothing comes cheap or even reasonably priced, but I found this to be over the top I and am used to NYC prices.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
SimonRusconi, General Manager at Prince de Galles Hotel, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear Guest, glad you enjoyed your stay at the newly renovated Prince de Galles! I thank you very much for having taken the time to share your opinion and experience on Tripadvisor and am delighted to see that you had a memorable experience with us. However, it is sad that you did not have the chance of testing either our bar or the restaurant during your stay, which are really worth testing. Kindly note that our rates do reflect the quality of the food served as the service delivered and are in line with the rates of other Hotels of same category and location. Your comments will be very useful to other guests, and have been shared with all our Team. We are all looking forward to welcoming you again and remain at your disposal for any assistance you may need. Best regards,
Dallas, Texas, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Stayed here for three nights on our trip to paris. Great location. Its close to almost every attraction in paris. They have recently renovated the hotel, which is great. But that is about the only good thing I can say about this hotel. I usually do not write bad reviews, but its 3:00am and I cannot sleep because the Air Conditioning is not working. I brought this to the staff's attention on at least 3 occasion, Nothing happened. On my second night here, I had to go down to the lobby and ask for water bottles as they did not leave any during turn down service.
On arrival, I was sent a bottle of Champagne and some macaroons, which was a nice touch, we had half bottle of the champagne and two macaroons, the rest of the items was just sitting on the table for two days. I had to ask the front desk to have housekeeping remove the items. I feel that they seriously lack on their house keeping.

As I am writing this review, I have my windows opens because of the Non Existing Air conditioning but I cannot sleep because of the loud music that is playing somewhere in the neighborhood.

We are flying to Nice tomorrow night, unfortunately, we have this Hotel booked for 3 nights on our return visit to Paris in 5 days. I am trying to change the hotel but it extremely busy every where.

I can certainly say that this Hotel is not worth 750 plus Euros a night. I booked two rooms using cash and points but I feel like I have wasted my points. It takes a lot of effort to rack up these points and I certainly feel bad using those at this hotel.

I am a SPG gold and I travel quite a bit. I expect a lot more from a category 7 hotel. I hope they get their act in order.

I forgot to mention, the concierges of the hotels are pretty good.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
SimonRusconi, General Manager at Prince de Galles Hotel, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear Guest, thank you for having experienced the recently opened Prince de Galles during your recent stay in Paris and for having taken the time to share your feedback. I am deeply sorry that you haven’t been able to sleep during your last night of your stay at the Prince de Galles and truly do understand the discomfort you have encountered. I have reported your uncomfortable experience and will make sure the situations you have met do not take place again. We give great importance to our Guests’ comments, which allow us to constantly improve our quality of service. I understand that you are coming back in the next few days and would be delighted to meet you and talk about your experience with us. We are looking forward to welcoming you back, and remain at your disposal. Yours sincerely,
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Stayed with my husband from June 3-6 on Cash & Points. Location is amazing and can't be beat. The property itself is beautiful. Rooms are gorgeous and nicely decorated, albeit small, but that's not to be unexpected in Paris. The bathroom is truly stunning with its gorgeous mosaics. The bed was incredibly comfortable and my husband both commented on the incredible sleep each morning.

Where the property falls down is the service. The Prince de Galles is right next to the George V Four Seasons, and should probably take lessons from them on service. A few examples:

1- check-in was delayed for hours b.c of "technical difficulties" in our room. they didn't specify the issues and kept on delaying our check-in. after traveling all night, you can imagine our mood. once we finally got into the room, most of the lights still weren't working and the handyman's tools were everywhere.

2- service at the front desk: there are many employees milling about in the lobby, but even when the line is long, only two receptionists working. this caused a backlog of people checking in/ out. This type of problem would never happen at a Four Seasons, where customer service is treated as a priority.

3- room servicing: acceptable, not great. many times dirty cups/ plates were left behind and our towels/ toiletries in the bathroom were not replaced. we needed to call room service to have them bring fresh towels, etc. in such a high-end hotel, that shouldn't happen.

It's a beautiful hotel, but they could certainly use a refresh in customer service as a SPG property.

Given what I experienced, I wouldn't stay there again-- if I'm going to pay those rates, I'd rather be at the Four Seasons next door.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest, thank you for your interesting comments regarding the newly reopened Prince de Galles, after 24 months of full restoration. I am delighted that you were entirely satisfied with the new decoration of the Hotel and the comfort of the beds. However, I deeply regret that you found the service to be disappointing and wish to deeply apologize for that. We give great importance to guest recognition and satisfaction, and I will be having the necessary corrective actions implemented following your valuable feedback towards our front desk, food and beverage and technical department. I truly do hope having the chance of welcoming you again very soon at the Prince de Galles, offering you then a more positive and accurate experience in the Parisian Luxury Collection Hotel. Feel free to contact me or any member of my Team should you require any assistance.
Yours sincerely,
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

We spent an excellent week end at the Prince de Galles. As a platinium SPG we got upgraded to a deluxe room which was very spacious for Paris.We loved the decoration with Tamara De Lempiska paintings. Bathroom mosaics absolutely stunning. The hotel has been re-opened recently so everything is still shinny but the general high quality of the furnitures should last for a few years. The SPG welcome wine was a very good bordeaux 2009.
F&B - We had a drink in the Patio which is very pleasant, the room service dish was also good but the best was the breakfast. Oustanding pastries and very efficient and polite service.
Service was overall excellent and staff has clearly been trained to international standards of responsivess, efficiency and politeness. The receptionist was efficient and the concierge on sunday 9th around 12 was very friendly and he suggested us a nice exhibition at the Grand Palais.

If you are after the "everything an hotel can have" it is probably not the right one but if you want top standards, art-deco feeling in a large but with still intimate setup then this one is great.
Location Ideal - 2 min from Gerges V tube and Champs elysee.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest, thank you for having experienced the recently restored Prince de Galles during your last visit in Paris! I am very happy to receive your positive comments and glad that the SPG service delivered exceeded your expectations. Your feedback has been shared with all our team, and precisely with our Assistant Head Concierge, Jean-Christophe. I am looking forward to hosting you again very soon, and remain at your disposal for any assistance you may require. Yours sincerely,

Been to Prince de Galles Hotel? Share your experiences!