“Buy Your Tickets Online Before You Go” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Eiffel Tower

Eiffel Tower
5 avenue Anatole France, 75007 Paris, France (Tour Eiffel / Invalides)
+33 892 70 12 39
Activities: Dining, Ice skating, Watching sunrise/sunset
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Completed in 1889, this colossal landmark, although initially hated by many Parisians, is now a famous symbol of French civic pride.
Melbourne
3 attraction reviews
“Buy Your Tickets Online Before You Go”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2010

I’ve wanted to visit the Eiffel Tower since I saw Superman II as a girl, but nothing prepared me for when I actually got to stand in front of it! It is magnificent, and far surpassed my expectations. As I stood there staring in awe, I could vividly see Christopher Reeve’s Superman flying up the spire to rescue Margot Kidder’s Lois Lane.

I’ve just come back from a weekend in Paris and made two trips up the tower – one during the day and one at night. I’d pre-booked my morning lift ride, and was up on the summit within 30 minutes of turning up at my arrival time. Much better than standing in a queue for hours on end.

But what a buzz. This experience will stay with me for the rest of my life!

The second trip I made that night, and mistakenly stood in the line for the stairs – yes it’s quicker – and I consider myself a fairly fit person, but the stairs to the second story are brutal. The view at night though was worth the agony, it was stunning! Just a reminder that during the summer in the Northern Hemisphere it doesn’t get dark until around 10.30pm, but the tower is open I think until 1am. Make sure you take a jacket as it gets quite cold up there.

There are 4 main tips I can recommend before you go.

1: Book in advance, unless of course it’s you’re life ambition to stand in a queue for hours. You turn up at your designated time, get in the lift and up you go.

2: Make sure you book your ticket to the Summit otherwise you’ll have to buy another ticket on the second floor to get up to the summit.

3: If you’re not too good with heights but want to go to the summit, stand in the middle of the lift on the way up to the summit. I’m good with heights, but I was standing against the door which is glass from floor to ceiling, and even I started to feel a little queasy.

4: There are gypsies and Souvenir Hawkers everywhere. Gypsies are mainly from Romania and will ask you if you speak English – it’s their scam to get money out of you by getting you to read some rubbish sob story. Either ignore them, or ask them to leave you alone. It became so annoying that I told one that yes I spoke English and yes I was well aware of what her scam was. Funnily enough I was left alone after that. With the Souvenir Hawkers – DO NOT MAKE EYE CONTACT! Otherwise they will swarm around you like flies at a BBQ. Note to Kevin Rudd – Visit Paris to see what happens when you open our borders to the great unwashed.

• Arabic first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Sydney
26 attraction reviews
“Viator Paris - Don't eat in the Eiffel Tower”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2010

As part of a Viator tour of Paris (Very expensive - Dinner at the Eiffel Tower, cruise on the Siene and a show at the Moulin Rouge) we were dropped at the Eiffel Tower with instructions to enter at a certain gate. We did, showed our tickets, and were directed to the wrong lift! This took us to level 2, not Level 1 where the restaurant is. It was freezing cold and raining, but we were only met with rudness by the one person working on that level. After half an hour we were able to find a lift down to the correct level. We were seated in the centre of the restaurant with no view and given the worst meal I have ever eaten. I had scallops that were covered in a froth that looked like frog spawn. When leaving the restaurant we tried to have a quick look at the view and were told that for "safety reasons" we could not look out from next to empty tables! Some of the ladies toilets were out of order, so the queue was huge. Other people stood waiting for 15 minutes for a lift to go down from the restaurant. The whole Eiffel Tower experience was appalling. They have no signs to guide people and the staff are extremely rude.
We were to catch the 9.00 ferry for a cruise (all pre-booked by Viator). The ferry was full, even though we arrived well before the advised by Viator. We caught the next, which meant we were late for out pickup to go to the Moulin Rouge.
We did make it to the Moulin Rouge on time and had a wonderful time there. The show was wonderful. and we had excellent seats. Everything went very smoothly and we were picked up and dropped at our hotel with no problems.
I would advise not to get involved with the Eiffel Tower or the Seine cruise people if you want to enjoy Paris.

N Ireland
85 attraction reviews
“If you want the lift book ahead”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2010

I have been up the Eiffel tower before and used the stairs.The queue is less and it is cheaper. This week queued for tickets for lift and every time someone came with pre booked ticket they got in first. Worth seeing and you must get out at 2nd stage and queue again for 3rd floor lifts. There are 4 of them and seem better organised.
People begging and trying to sell at ground level.

Elizabeth, New Jersey
13 attraction reviews
“A must see”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2010

No matter what you do in Paris you need to see the Eiffel Tower. If you are adventurous try walking the steps up, for the rest of us, the lift ride was just fine. The cost wasn"t all that bad and its an iconic experience that is worth the cost.

Ontario
14 attraction reviews
“have to go up... just because...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2010

We waited in line for 1.5 hours to take the elevator up to the second floor. I’d recommend pre-booking the tickets beforehand because the line-ups are substantially shorter. I didn’t do it because I didn’t know what the weather would be like. There were a lot of souvenir sellers selling those Eiffel Tower key chains. The cheapest we heard was 4 for 1 euro. There are also a lot of gypsies who ask “Do you speak English” who basically ask you to read a piece of paper about some sob story for some money. You’ll notice they work in large groups as well so don’t be fooled. Otherwise, it is quite safe with several police and military around. We went up to the second level and it wasn’t overly crowded. You still have your opportunities to take the photos that you want. But it’s nothing spectacular and one of those things you can do just once in your life.