“A hidden gem” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #38 of 123 Specialty Lodging in Paris
Brussels, Belgium
“A hidden gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

With only a few short blocks away from the Moulin Rouge, this was an incredible stay. When we first arrived later in the day we walked all around the Basilique du Sacré-Coeur. The staff was extremely friendly and provided us maps. The staff added an ambiance to our stay. They booked a night tour/ moulin rouge trip for us, gave us tips for things to do, kept our valuables safe while we ventured out, smiled at us whenever they saw us, and there was always someone at the desk even at wee hours in the morning.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Cali
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

stayed in a Dorm room for 28euros last August 30th until September 2nd of 2012. this dorm room had is ensuite (private bathroom). what i love about this place:
1. croissant upon arrival
2. location - the metro station stop i used mostly was Blanche, which is about 3-4 blocks away from the hostel; hostel is located close to Moulin Rouge and walking distance from Montamarte & Sacre Couer; there were a lot of restaurants & shops (food, boutiques) around the area. need to take only 1 bus all the way to see the Arc de Triomphe & the bus ends (Trocadero Palace) where you can view the night lights of the Eiffel Tower (I suggest taking this bus at night - on the way to see the light show).
3. laundry - around the corner from the hostel
4. breakfast - best free breakfast in my italy & paris trip; oki i don't think it was "french" breakfast because of the cereal (BEST CEREAL in the world! it's the one with cholocates), the jelly; but it was great for travelers on budget to eat as much free breakast then have a later lunch.
5. room & bathroom - cleaned everyday; bathroom cleanliness was important to me and i they do a pretty good job maintaining it (i guess it also depends on your roomies); bed was nice & comfortable with clean linens.

what i'm not too fond of this hostel:
1. bathroom - was small & the shower stall was tiny but i can still move.
2. no lockers - so i had to make sure i carry my valuables all the time (or semi-valuable). my roommate left her "valuables" at the front desk (but i found out about this to late in my stay); that's an option i guess.
3. elevator - really tiny! as in really tiny! i thought japan had tiny spaces! it reminds of the capsule hotels in japan. i think those had some wiggle room but this none; i only carried a backpack so i used the elevator only once and didn't even dare to use it again. the stairs was a bit steep in the beginning but once you're used to it, it's no biggy.
4. front desk customer service - hmmm....it depends on who, what day, time sometimes you get friendly responses or conversations or tips, other times not good; quite inconsistent level of friendliness of front desk. just noticed it but didn't bother me much because i rarely needed to talk to them....

please bear in mind that this is a hostel; catered to younger people and i didn't mind if i get woken up when someone comes in late at night because i expected this or if i still hear people by the courtyard chatting (this is only allowed until midnight). i'm in my 30s and i knew that this is common in hostels. also, this is not a 5-star hotel and not a new building (so who knows how many years this building had been there), so a big space room & bathroom should not be expected.

overall, the benefits - cost & location & food outweighs the "bad." actually i don't even consider them bad, just something need a little of adjustment. when i come back to paris, definitely staying here once again!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Island of Malta, Malta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

I was a bit hesistant in staying in Montemartre as I heard it is not safe at night, so I was pleasantly surprised to find out that Abbesses which is the area this hostel is in, is one of the prettiest areas of all Paris, and quite safe at night as well! Also only 25 minutes metro ride from central Paris. Compared to other places in Paris this was very good value for money and we even chose to stay in a private room. Good breakfast including a delcious fresh croissant. Very clean, room was cleaned daily and towels changed. Room was very cosy even withouth the heating on. Elevator is very small but enough for one person and a huge suitcase like mine (way better than having to life suitcase up a narrow flight of stairs as in other places I have stayed in). In conclusion if I ever go to Paris again will definietly stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

This was my very first hostel experience and i will be honest - with all the stories I have heard, I was expecting the worst. But overall my stay exceeded my expectations. I booked based on previous reviews and they are pretty accurate.

Pros:
- Great area - right in the heart of Montemarte and really close to the metro. I felt very safe and some great little shops,bars and restaurants nearby.
- very clean rooms and clean beds
- bathrooms are very modern with great showers (Good water pressure and heating)

Cons:
- The bunk beds were quite uncomfortable, particularly the pillows (but that it almost expected) and they were quite creaky. The top bunks don't have a railing but i wasnt that worried about falling off
- It was very very noisy - 2/3 nights I stayed there I barely slept due to very rowdy neighbours where I could hear everything they were saying and every time someone showered. Basically the walls are paper thin...
- We had a slight altercation when a guy was booked into our all female dorm- but we eventually asked him to go to reception to see if he could be moved and they moved him straight away. I can only assume this was a mistake but the front desk sorted it out very quickly which was good.
- the staff weren't terribly friendly as previously mentioned by others; we were told that breakfast ended at 11, then 10.30, only to discover the kitchen was shut at 10. We never had breakfast but when we arrived late, the kitchen staff was nice enough to offer us a croissant. From first glance the dining area was a bit dirty though.

As far as hostels go, it exceeded my expectations and I would probably stay there again when visiting Paris....I just will remember to bring earplugs!
Basically it was really good value and I would recommend it to anyone going to Paris for a short while, particularly if they wanted to stay in Montemarte.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
washington, dc
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Very good location. Felt safe at all times in the neighborhood. Some staff were very friendly and helpful, some not so much. Clean rooms. Seemed to cater to the younger, partying crowd. I was there 7 nites, and almost every nite I was woken up by a drunk roommate returning home in the wee hours of the morning.
Negative: Tiny, tiny rooms. Don't even think of staying here if you're over 6 feet tall or a bit hefty. Bunks were wobbly and noisy.
I'd look elsewhere if I'm in Paris again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Really enjoyed this hostel. Location was excellent and the place was clean and conformtable. The bathrooms were small but modern and clean and each room had their own so it was fine. Breakfast was plentiful and the hostel had all the necessary maps and tour information you need. Staff were not overly friendly but I would definately stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

My 02 night stay from the 2oct to 4 oct 2012 was really wonderful at Plug inn hostel. All the previous reviews are precise about this property. The highlights: Friendly staff and fellow guests, clean rooms, good breakfast, amazing location, well equipped self kitchen. The minus point: Small rooms and toilets, creaky bunk beds, tiny lift ( manageable for 01 person with luggage), lack of lockers in or near the room, there are lockers available only at the reception area.
All the negative point were pretty much ignorable, the positives made up for them. We specially enjoyed interacting and sharing food with our fellow travellers, all people were very friendly. We had a small issue on our first night, the combination lock on one of our bags got jammed and wasn’t popping up, so I dragged it all the way down to the reception area and requested the receptionist to break it open, the poor guys went down to the basement and came back with all sorts of instruments you can imagine to break open the lock. Till that time two other guests helped me to break the lock by using a swiss knife! All of them were nice and friendly. You cant expect this sort of camaraderie and warmth from your fellow guests or receptionist in a hotel, you will have this advantage only at a youth hostel – I am saying this because the previous night I had stayed at an airport hotel in Paris.
I will definitely stay here again if I ever visit Paris again in my life.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Plug-Inn Hostel? Share your experiences!