“Unhelpful Reception Staff” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #40 of 127 Specialty Lodging in Paris
Singapore, Singapore
“Unhelpful Reception Staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012 via mobile

I got cut on my left foot at the sharp edges in the shower cubicle at 5th floor. I reported my incident but the reception staff did not express concern and did not bother to look at my condition. If the hostel management is able to read this, please repair immediately before somebody else gets hurt.

• Stayed April 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

I enjoyed my stay at Plug Inn very much. Comfortable and very clean. The staff were very affable and helpful, which is not always the case in hostels. The location is excellent, near to many restaurants, cafes, excellent bakeries, metro, etc. Next time I am in Paris I will Plug Inn. Of course it is a hostel so some noise, late night interruptions, small rooms, etc., are to be expected. That is the nature of most hostels. For the price this is a great place to stay in Paris.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

The plug-inn hostel is pretty well located in the center of Montmatre, within a few minutes walk from the Metro Station. My wife and I checked in to a private room which was on the 5th floor (in 2 days, we never saw the elevator working, watch out for the amount of luggage you are carrying)
As we were staying in a private room, we decided to leave our important and valuable stuff inside our suitcases, which we pad locked. After a beautiful day walking around Paris, we came back to our hostel around 6pm to find that someone had ripped open the zipper on my suitcase, stealing from us a Mac laptop, an IPhone, and money! The only way to get into the rooms, was with a magnetic card, which of course only my wife, the hostel staff and I had. To our surpise, the hostel was not responsible for anything.. They didn't even refund us the whole amount we paid.. the funny thing is they told us that the room was probably not well closed basically blaming us, but at the same time, they told us that the cleaning service saw the iPhone on the night stand.. So, if nothing was stolen by the time the cleaning service got to our room, is it our fault?? At best, this hostel cannot ensure basic security of anyone's items (even in a private room), and at worst, they conduct inside jobs.. A shame for a hostel in a very good location..

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
plug-inn, Directeur général at Plug-Inn Hostel, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
We are truly sorry this happened to you during your stay. French insurance does not cover theft from rooms which is why French hotels are not responsible for stolen items. There are simply too many people who try to take advange of hotels by declaring stolen items.

In your case we really don't have an explanation for this theft but it is certainly not a common occurance. The cleaning staff have been with us for many years and are certainly not going to risk their jobs by stealing things. We do insist (even more so since your incident) that people do not leave valuables in the room rather in the safe provided at the reception free of charge.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012 via mobile

The room is very clean, staff is friendly and the hostel is in a great location, with subway station really close. The breakfest is ok, but the problem, to me, was the really tiny rooms. It is worth though. I would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2012
Laramie, Wyoming
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights and really enjoyed it. The dorm was clean and it was a good place to meet other young travellers. The free breakfast was good and the internet was fast, I can't think of anything better than that. Only little thing that could be better was that it was kinda loud at night, the walls are kinda thin.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

I stayed over a week in May 2011. I found the hostel to be rather quiet and clean. The staff was helpful. The location is great. The only downside was the bathroom: it was very small and crammed. Everything else was great though.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Newport
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

Plug-Inn Hostel was in a great location in Montmarte. Right outside the hostel there were plenty of restaurants, cafes, bakerys, etc. You are about a 5 minute walk to two Metro stations and Moulin Rouge is just down the street. The hostel itself was pretty clean and you could tell it had been recently renovated. Breakfast is included in the price and with that you get 1 croissant, 1 bun and a choice of 2 cereals, coffee, and orange juice, which is pretty descent. Internet is free and there are 4 computers in reception that you can use. Those are all of the positives.

When we first checked in the guy on reception was not friendly. He just told us how much we owed and did not even mention anything about free breakfast, internet or about Paris. When I asked questions he seemed annoyed. He also gave us incorrect directions on how to get to Versailles, which took us an extra hour. The other girl receptionist slept on reception . . . and was very disinterested in her job. There were lots of families and old people in the hostel. In this respect it felt more like a Pension than a hostel. No atmosphere whatsoever. There was never anyone in the common areas.

I have stayed in many hostels over my many years of travelling from 18-26 and this was my least favorite, as the staff were not friendly and there was zero atmosphere. Also it was quite expensive, but it is Paris so that is to be expected.

Room Tip: Our room was on the main level next to the courtyard and it was very quiet.