“Sight seeing trip to Paris” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Le Canal
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   48 Avenue de Flandre | 19th Arr, 75019 Paris, France   |
Ranked #1,283 of 1,793 Hotels in Paris
Paris
“Sight seeing trip to Paris”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

good:
staff was always nice and helped in every Situation
Room was with 11m² small but for a Sightseeing tour enough
good Position for trips because of central Position between Metrostation Riquet and Stalingrad
behind the Hotel was a chanal for Relaxing and take a walk
stores and restaurantes nearby the Hotel
French People were all the time nice and helped us, also with my bad French language

not so good
bed was for my wife to hard (this is restricted to personal preferences, nothing bad!)
Paris is a City that never sleeps, so there was always noise from the street in front of the Hotel, with closed window it was better but still to hear, so sleeping with open Windows was not possible from our Point of view (we live in a village with no noise, so this was a difference to our normal life, so what that's why we came to Paris ;-) )

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Greek first
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

This hotel is everything it describes on its website. It was a great bargain for the price. The Riquet metro station is literally a minutes walk away and Stalingrad (with more lines) about a 10 minute walk away. We used Riquet and changed at Stalingrad to get everywhere. The room was very small but well designed so it wasn't too much of a problem. The bed was comfortable and the room and bathroom clean. The room was cleaned and the sheets changed daily (I don't know if they do this for everyone or if it was just down to our eating croissants in bed). The staff are very friendly and helpful and all speak perfect English. We opted out of breakfast so I can't comment on that. There is a beautiful patisserie right next door that has croissants and pain au chocolat you can nip out for which is cheaper than the 8 euro breakfast at the hotel. It also has some beautiful looking cakes. There is also a supermarket called Casino a few minutes walk up the road (we spent the first two days thinking this was an actual casino). The only bad points I would mention are that the shower wasn't very powerful and it was quite noisy in the mornings as you can hear the cleaners and other guests in the corridor. I would recommend is hotel though. For 80 euros a night you are obviously not going to get absolute luxury and it was excellent for the price.

Room Tip: Our room was the first one next to the lift so you may find it quieter at the other end of the corri...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

My boyfriend and I went to Paris March 2013 for a couple of days in the beautiful city. Despite the very cold outside temperatures, we were met by lovely warmth inside this cute hotel. It was exceptionally clean and well presented - the film-style decor in our room was a lovely touch. As we were only really using the room to touch base of an evening (we spent around 14 hours enjoying the sights of Paris each day) we weren't expecting much, so it was a wonderful surprise. Yes, the rooms are small, but really, you aren't in Paris to spend your days in the hotel; if you are, then go somewhere more expensive! Rooms have free wifi, a coffee/tea machine (take your own tea bags though, unless you enjoy fruit tea!) a tv and a lovely ensuite. The only bizarre thing about the ensuite shower room was the shower itself; there was no curtain. I found it difficult to keep the water from spraying onto the floor of the bathroom, but it didn't seem to be too much of an issue. We also only had a view of the building next door, but views of Paris are really only worth seeing from the top of the Eiffel Tower, Sacre-Coeur or Tour Montparnasse!

Staff were lovely and very helpful; they speak an array of different languages, and are only too keen to help. We were able to keep luggage in a locked room until our late departure, which was ideal as we didn't want to be carrying it around with us all day from our check out at 12:00 (although we left at around 9:30am to make the move of our time) until 11:30pm!

There is a supermarket just round the corner, which was ideal, and not too expensive. If you plan to eat out, scout the restaurants wisely; we managed to find a lovely little Italian restaurant close to the Eiffel Tower which had an offer on 3 course meals for just 17 Euros, and in the Latin Quarter we found another restaurant offering the same for just 10! I would certainly recommend buying metro tickets to save yourself time and energy; we walked a lot and obviously this is the best way to experience Paris, but their Metro is very efficient and worthwhile if you are short on time. Another way we found to experience Paris at a far more leisurely pace is via the Batobus; buy a ticket and you can get on and off as many times in one day as you like!

Overall, the holiday was absolutely wonderful and I would not hesitate to return to Hotel le Canal.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Cyprus
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Room was very clean and very close to the metro station - this is what I needed!! The Rooms were very comfortable and clean with very nice parisian decoration. Room included free wifi, heaven for me, as I was using my notebook maps to point the landmarks that we would visit. Breakfast was at an extra charge so we tried it for a day. It was basic and ok but we preffered the croissant from the several bakeries located everywhere in paris. The metro station was 1min walk and opposite there was a cheap supermarket where we bought many necessities. Reading the reviews some said that it was on a bad neighbourhood but I did not notice anything suspicious or dangerous and yes we went for a stroll at night to see the area. Anyway I totally recommend it! The price is amazing, the staff was very helpfull, the area is convenient and the room is clean!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Leicester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

my husband and I recently (feb 2013)stay in this hotel.we had read some good and bad reviews about this hotel but thought we'd make up our our minds and considering we didnt pay too much for a room werent really expecting a fantastic experience...when we arrived the staff we most helpful and let in our room early,but we were shocked how small the room was.it was adequate for our needs as all we wanted was a room with a nice shower room...but when i came to sleeping the bed was very uncomfortable and hardly slept the whole 5 days we were there.my husband who is fluent in french asked if there was any way we could stay on the top floor and the 1st member of staff we talked to said yes but when we were given our key the 2nd member of staff said we would be given a room on the 3rd floor and when my husband enquired about it this member of staff said they were fully booked and this was all they could offer us
As regards the cleanliness of the room i cant complain but to be fair the room was so small it wouldnt have taken long to clean!the shower room as adequate but sometimes we werent given enough towels.also there wasnt any cups in our room to make use of the kettle?we had to ask for these which took awhile for them to find some.
The breakfast was ok if you could eat pastry but i have a gluten allergy and couldnt eat them and when i asked them in an email 2weeks before we arrived if it was possible to have something else all they did was send me an emails telling me what was for breakfast.So i took my own gluten free bread and had it with cheese.they do not have any toasting facillities which is very strange for a hotel offering breakfast.i was told there were eggs on the menu but rarely were they available(2 days out of the 5).
I know this might sound negitive but it wasnt the worse hotel ive ever stayed in but by no means was it the best,all i can say is the offer an ok standard but i wont be reccomending this hotel to any of my friends or business accaintances

Room Tip: this hotel in right next to the riquet metro stop so good for getting into central paris
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013 via mobile

Le canal was the cheapest hotel I could find during the new year break in Paeis. We stayed there for 2 nights. The location was not the best, Effile tower area was 2 tubes changes away which took around and hour to get there. Rooms were very small, single sized rooms with double bed in imagine that. There was not enough space to put our 2 trolley cases lie flat , me and my husband were always bumping into things n each other.

• Stayed December 2012
Franck T, Responsable réception at Hotel Le Canal, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Good evening,
Thank you for your comment!
Corcerning the location, our hotel's plus is the proximity of the St.Martin's Channel and the famous Montmartre district with it's Basilica of the Sacré Coeur. What our clients usually appreciate is also the small distance to the Riquet metro station that enables a fast access to the city center.
The classic room you chose has a standard surface of 12m2, which is the standard hotel room size in Paris. For your information, the superior rooms are bigger (14m2).
We will be glad to receive you in our hotel next time!
Best regards,
Kristyna

Been to Hotel Le Canal? Share your experiences!