“Amazing stay, amazing service, the best "Secret" out there!” 5 of 5 stars

Secret de Paris
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2, rue de Parme, 75009 Paris, France   |
Ranked #26 of 1,797 Hotels in Paris
New York City, New York
“Amazing stay, amazing service, the best "Secret" out there!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

Booked this hotel after doing extensive research and based on its Tripadvisor reviews. Booked two rooms for two couples. Let me say that it's rating is extremely well deserved! I travel frequently, and rarely have I encountered service to the level offered at Secret de Paris. Everyone, and I mean every single staff member, was extremely helpful, friendly, and at times went above and beyond to ensure a positive stay for us. We arrived at the hotel in the morning well before our rooms were ready. We were greeted with a smile and a warm welcome, bags brought in for us, and offered coffee/water while we waited. Being exhausted, we were directed to the steam room and showers, and given robes, towels etc to make us more comfortable.

It then turned out that we had picked up the wrong suitcase at the airport, and were missing one of ours! No worries though--the staff took it upon themselves to make all the phone calls with the airlines, and helped fill out all paperwork, all through the day, so we could spend time enjoying Paris. We got our bag the next morning!

Didn't end there--we had booked Eiffel Tower tickets through the front desk several days in advance. On the day we were supposed to leave, I get a call in the morning from the front desk asking me how I was getting there. They wanted me to be aware of station and road closures, and offered an alternative route there so I would be on time! One night, we casually asked if they knew of any Fondue restaurants that were worth trying. They said they would check. We forgot about it, but the next night we returned from sight seeing, and they said they had made reservations for us at a great Fondue restaurant! It was easily one of the best restaurants we ate at during our trip. They also arranged Airport pickup and transport back, frequently pointed out local restaurants or directions to sights, even provided umbrellas for us on a rainy day (which competely saved our trip to Versailles I might add). Whenever we wanted water or coffee, it was there. Thank you, Secret de Paris!

As for the rooms, they are exactly as the pictures show. Immacculate, clean, very well appointed. Each room is themed. You even have the choice (if available) to switch rooms to try out other themes. We stayed in the Trocadero room and opted to keep it for the week we were there. Had a lovely large window that opened onto the street. The other couple had the Musee d'Orsay room and loved it as well. Coming from the US, you may think the rooms are small, but expected for Europe. Each room is perfect for a couple, with two large suitcases. We had four large suitcases (we were coming from another trip), but still made it work w/o feeling overly cramped.

Breakfast was good, and convenient if in a rush. Though it was pricey, and most of the time I simply went to the bakery across the street for a quick croissant or baguette, as we are usually not huge breakfast eaters. The location was convenient enough. It was slightly off from he main tourist area, so very quiet. Many restaurants and bars very close by. Good area to get the local feel of Paris. Minutes walk from Moulin Rouge. Two metro stations close by (within two blocks), that can get you to all major sights within 5 -15 minutes. Montmartre two stops away. Or if you prefer to walk, its 10 mins to the Opera Garnier and Shopping malls, another 10 to the Louvre and all thats around it. There's also taxis if needed.

I never feel compelled to write reviews, but this time I did. Overall, a great stay and experience. Would definitely stay here again. Highly recommended. But shhh, keep the secret to yourself :)

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
26609991, Directeur général at Secret de Paris, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Dear VASMD, I can see that this is your first review on Tripadvisor, but what a review!! Merci Merci Merci :), for all your kind words and appreciation of the service you received. The team and I were delighted to assist you during your stay and getting such feedback from our client is the best reward for their hardwork. We hope to welcome you again!
Kind regards, Caroline Canny

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Turkish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

Just spent four wonderful nights here in one of the fabulous Trocadero themed rooms. The room was excellent, large comfy bed, 1st class air conditioniong (ideal due to the fantastically warm Paris weather, jacuzzi bath and the sound insulation was great.
We found the Hotel ideally placed within walking distance of both the Place de Clichy and Liege metro stations, allowing easy access to all parts of Paris. There are numerous brasseries and restaurants within walking distance for all ranges of prices.
Add to that the fantastic staff and the friendliness and helpfulness of Parisians made this a joy of a holiday, will miss our cocktails and drinks watching in the early evening watching Paris go by.... can't wait to come back

Alpharetta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

I had the pleasure of just returning from this wonderful hotel, and I'm telling everyone (hence the title, haha!).
From the moment I stepped inside, until I hopped into a cab headed for the airport, the employees demonstrated excellent customer service. It began with a quick tour of the premises, then helping me bring my luggage to my room, explanation of how to use the lighting in the room, etc. Later on, when I discovered that my flat screen was inoperable, they quickly assisted me, & transferred me to another Eiffel Tower room. I called on most nights to request room service, & they were always very prompt, pleasant, & courteous. They were also very pleasant, & helpful when I decided to partake in their buffet breakfast. On the morning of my departure, the shuttle, that I prepaid for through Expedia, never showed up on time. They called a cab for me, who quickly showed up.
Aside from the staff's efficiency, and great customer service, the rooms were unique, sexy (yeah, I said it, lol), and Fabulous!!! The themed rooms, are what attracted me to this hotel in the first place, and they delivered.
All in all, I will definitely stay here again, and most definitely recommend this place to all my jet-setting friends.

Stayed July 2014
Shropshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Hotel Secret De Paris has everything I look for in a good hotel – a big comfortable bed, excellent (quiet) air conditioning, a great shower, heavy blackout curtains, a good position close to public transport, excellent sound insulation and amazing staff. In this instance, the final two of those pre-requisites are of particular note. Firstly, the sound insulation in this hotel, both from the outside road and other guests is the best I have ever encountered in any hotel. The windows have two lots of double-glazing, separated by a big air gap and it really does take something like an ambulance going past to get through it. Put that together with the superb blackout curtains and it would be (as I note another reviewer has commented) quite easy to oversleep, because you are completely insulated from the outside world. The same goes for noise from other guests – it would be possible to believe that you are in the hotel on your own! The second thing of particular note is the quality of the staff, which also goes beyond anything I have ever experienced at the (many) hotels I have stayed in. All the staff members have an outstanding attitude to customer service, which is a rarity these days. They are all brilliant, but as others have noted, William stands out, both in his manner, but also with his ability to fix problems. He helped us to sort out our taxi situation, with efficiency and charm. So, all round a brilliant hotel – but nothing is perfect, so surely there must be some negatives? Yes, I would say, there are two – one minor, one potentially more major. The minor one was I felt the breakfasts were a little ‘lightweight’ for the price guests pay within their room charge. Not a major issue, but one that could cause problems for anyone hoping to ‘set themselves up for the day’ at breakfast. I suspect other Paris hotels might be similar. The second (potentially more significant) negative is my hunch that the area this hotel is located in isn’t what I would class as ‘completely safe’. Obviously, nowhere is entirely safe in a city, but Place De Clichy is just a stone’s throw from the red light district and we did notice a fair few ‘characters’ hanging around. I must stress that we didn’t have a single ‘incident’ in the whole time we were there, but at times, we did feel uneasy. There is a big difference between the fantasy of the Moulin Rouge and the reality of an avenue of sleazy peep shows. The good thing is that you don’t have to walk far to get back to the hotel in the evening, because there are good restaurants just up the road from it - eg Le Bistro Melrose, to the left of the roundabout, as you approach from the hotel. We ate there several times and enjoyed a sparkling wine aperitif, 3 courses, a good bottle of wine (go for the Cote De Rhone) and coffee for a fixed price of 39 Euros (£30 at the time of writing). Great value, for consistently good food (the crayfish and avocado starter is particularly tasty). Regarding the position of the hotel in relation to Paris attractions, well 15 minutes south on the Metro (M13) takes you to Invalides station (by the beautiful Alexandra 3rd bridge) from which you can walk to most things. It’s a wonderful experience to walk along the banks of the Seine on a sunny day.

So, overall, the Hotel Secret De Paris is a great hotel, situated in a ‘colourful’ neighbourhood and within reasonable reach of all the main attractions. If you want to see a little more of genuine Paris life, I would recommend it – but stay away from the red light area! One final thing – people asked us whether it is possible to go to the Bastille Day fireworks and still get back to this hotel, despite the huge crowds. The answer is ‘yes and no’ – if you want to see all the fireworks from the ground level to the sky rockets, then you are going to have to get close to the Eiffel Tower and then getting back on the Metro will be a nightmare. However, if you are prepared to ‘put up’ with only seeing the big, high fireworks and want to be able to do say ‘you were there’ on the big day (without any Metro hassle) you can do what we did, which was to jump on the M13 Metro at Place De Clichy at around 10.00pm, get off at Invalides, then stay very close to that Metro station to watch the fireworks, then the instant they end, jump back on the Metro and disappear back up the M13, ahead of the hordes. This year, the fireworks ended at 11.35pm and we were back at the Place De Clichy just 15 minutes later. All very civilised, with no ‘squishing’ on the Metro at all - it can be done! (But obviously, if you do it that way, you miss out on seeing all the fireworks from ‘the ground up’).

Room Tip: Clear glass wall between bedroom and bathroom may put some people off, but it's not really a big...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
26609991, Directeur général at Secret de Paris, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Dear ShropshireLass69, Thank you for such a well written and documented review! I am sure future travellers will also find it very useful:). I am thrilled to read that you had a good time with us and that you slept very well thanks to the soundproofing effort of our hotel. Be assured that I will share your satisfaction with the team.
Of course I also read the negatives and regarding breakfast, I would welcome your suggestions! So far we have Croissants, Pain au chocolat & Pain au raisins as well as 2 types of baguettes, brioche, pancakes, muffins, cereals, fresh fruit, smoked salmon, cold cuts (different sorts of ham), cheese, yogurts as well as eggs made to order & unlimited hot drinks & freshly squeezed orange juice.
Regarding our location, the distric of Pigalle is still 10min walking from our hotel so you only pass their while going to Montmartre. Although a few characters hang around at Place de Clichy, nothing ever happened to any of our guests in over 4 years of opening now. Moreover, this square is the only place where you can find things like a 24 hours open Pharmacy (only 2 in Paris including this one). I hope to welcome you again! Kind regards, Caroline Canny
Ann Arbor, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

My girlfriend and I got engaged with the help of this hotel! We stayed here four nights, and the hotel itself is very nice with modern rooms and amenities (workout room, sauna, steam room). The themed rooms and lighting are very cool, although the glass wall to the bathroom takes getting used to. Beds are comfortable and the room was quiet. The location is not bad, though it requires a metro ride to the river. There's plenty of shopping and food nearby, including a top-rated Italian restaurant 2 blocks away.

What makes this hotel stand out though is the service. From the complementary cocktail on arrival to the friendly staff, everything is great. They absolutely go above and beyond the call of duty. I engineered a surprise engagement proposal with the help of the staff that involved them running around town looking for items like a red umbrella, and coordinating a little "chance encounter" near the Eiffel Tower with the acting help of a tour group. I simply could not have asked for more from the Hotel Secret staff (thanks Willman and Erin!) who went out of their way to make sure the moment was successful. I have not encountered that level of service from any hotel staff in any country.

You might not have quite the same needs as we did, but I'd still greatly recommend the place, especially if the area appeals to you.

Manly, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We are seniors and on reading through the reviews we decided to give this Hotel a try although we thought it might be a bit "too trendy" for a couple in our mid 60's. Right from check in the team at the front desk were lovely and helpful throughout our 5 days, always smiling & asking if we had enjoyed our day and if we needed any advice. We chose the Musee D'Orsay room which we both loved because of the convenience of the bath which was a saviour at the end of a day wandering Paris. We didn't partake of the breakfast because we like to set off early & there was a fruit shop across the road where we stocked up for our day. I would recommend this hotel with it's easy access to the Metros and lovely staff.

Room Tip: Go for the Musee D'Orsey room if you enjoy a bath
Sao Paulo, SP
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

A bit expensive. But the location, terrific service & charm compensate. Thematic rooms will inspire your stay in Paris. Full of restaurants around. Very close to the subway, Lafayete and other great attractions. Recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for advice about themes...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Secret de Paris? Share your experiences!