“Wonderful!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 1,788 Hotels in Paris
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Wonderful!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

This review is a bit overdue as I wanted to write it immediately upon my return to the U.S. My husband and I stayed at Secret de Paris October 2-10, 2013. Having never been to Europe before I was unsure where to stay and did not want to stay at the usual chain hotel as we wanted to experience Paris and not feel like just another guest among a sea of a hundred. A colleague of mine gave me about five hotels that he knew about or had stayed in and they were all sold out (back in February 2013). So after days of reading numerous reviews on TripAdvisor, I picked Secret de Paris. Well I did a really good job of choosing the right place for us to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary! It was perfect! Although it was small, we were fine with that as we expected it as we heard that all rooms in Paris are small. It was very clean and seemed new! We stayed in the Eiffel Tower room and it had a rain shower and the bed was very comfortable. Free internet was great too! The staff were phenomenal!! Wilman provided exceptional customer service! I called a week before we arrived asking questions about amenities as well as a trip to Normandy and he was so helpful. He made our stay so comfortable and took care of our daily needs. He really cares about his job and the guests. Vitoria was also very helpful as well as Irene. Anything we needed, they were more than accommodating. We do not speak any French and they helped us daily with recommendations and directions. This hotel is two blocks from the Metro and easy to get to. If you stay here, you won't be disappointed.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
26609991, Directeur général at Secret de Paris, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
Dear Hope,

Thank you so much for remembering our little Secret and writing a wonderful comment about your stay on Tripadvisor. We got lucky that all the hotels recommended by your friend were full :)
Willman and the team were delighted to be able to make your stay an enjoyable one and are very touched that you even remembered their names!
We hope to see you again.

Caroline & the SDP team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

My husband and I booked this hotel for a short break, after having spent our main holidays this year in other countries, we can honestly say that this was the best hotel we have stayed in to date.
We arrived earlier than expected, but the persons on the reception desk were quite happy to keep our luggage safe for us until we could check in leaving us to start exploring Paris. When we arrived back at the hotel, (they had already taken our luggage to our room) they gave us a tour of the hotel before guiding us to our room. Our immediate impression of the hotel was the incredible interior design, cleanliness, professionalism and pride which both staff and hotel presented.
Our room was stunning (room 36), decorated to symbolise the French Opera, with a mini fridge, flat screen TV with channels in various languages, comfortable bed which felt brand new, lighting you could personally adjust throughout the room as well as bathroom, a desk, cupboard space and the bathroom which had a hot-tub / bath large enough for two people. It also had a shower.

We found the staff to be excellent, as they were friendly, approachable, knowledgeable and always seemed willing to go that extra step to ensure our stay was a pleasant one, for example offering me the use of an umbrella when it unexpectedly started raining just as we were going out or remembering where my husband and I had said we were going to tour and asking us about it when we returned.
An occasion arose during our tour of Paris, when I desperately needed the assistance of a translator, and a lady at the reception desk was brilliant in carrying this out - so I would like to say a huge thank you to her. It can be quite daunting to be in a country where the main language is not your own, but if you are as fortunate as we were to be staying at the Secret de Paris this was not an issue and we were supported and felt completely in good hands.
In our line of work, we know a huge amount of people that travel between London and Paris and would now only recommend this hotel to them.
Neither my husband nor I had an issue with any of the staff's English, and particularly as we do not speak a word of French we all communicated perfectly well and all the directions they gave us, as well as suggestions and hints about where to find hidden 'treasures' in Paris was greatly appreciated.
This was our first trip to Paris as a couple, and we fully believe we will not come across another hotel of this standard, and therefore will continue to come back to this same hotel.
Excellent!

Dear Aleisha,

I am extremely grateful that you took the time to write such a lovely review, with a great amount of details about our rooms and service. Be assured that I printed out your comment and hanged it in our back office for everyone to see!! You brought a big smile on each team member's face and for that I only have two words: THANK YOU.

This was your first trip, and I hope there will be many more to come!

Caroline & the SDP team
manchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

Nice little hotel. Service is good. Rooms quite small with a tiny desk so not great for the business traveller. Decor and design is amazing, really very cool, loved it. I stayed in The Eiffel Tower room. Staff are friendly but could do with speaking better English, especially in Paris the tourist centre! I'm only staying one night, it's great for a stopover but if i was staying longer i would look for a hotel with a bigger room and bathroom. Great big TV and music system. All in all it's a lovely hotel, I would not say amazing but very good.

Room Tip: Eiffel Tower 14 room is pretty small. It's cosy and only has a shower with glass rooms into the...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
26609991, Directeur général at Secret de Paris, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Dear tk7575,

I am very grateful for your feedback and also that you took the time to give me some more details about the English skills of one of our team member. Be assured that some training will be provided to have the entire team speaking excellent english!
For your next visit, I would recommend one of our Atelier d'Artiste room, which is larger in size and equiped with a big desk for you to work on, along with our Free high-speed wifi access.

With kind regards

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

Firstly I looked on tripadvisor for the reviews and everyone leaves brilliant reviews. As we have just got home now I thought I would leave my opinion! We got a taxi from Paris oryl which was €15 per person if you find the information desk exiting the airport it is a set prices as others are in the taxi together but it is a set price. When arriving to the hotel it looked amazing! We checked in later in the day as as we arrived early and the room was not available so they kept out luggage safe!. We returned about 7pm to check in and our case was all ready in our room! The staff are so friendly and go out of their way to help! A lovely lady showed us to our room musee room! And explained everything about the hotel and the rooms! It was amazing! Every single bit! We were given complimentary drinks water and orange in the room! We then went to see the moulin rouge which is walking distance of about 5 minutes or less! So this hotel is a great location for that! We then went to Disney land on Saturday morning and the man on reception showed us which routes to take and even when we walked out down the road he came running out to tell us where to eat! The staff are brilliant and go out of their way! Even when we returned later from the moulin rouge we ordered champagne to the room and they brung it! They are amazing! I cannot fault this hotel one bit! The breakfasts is a good choice to they will ask do you want scrambled egg and bacon and it was lovely! Didn't try the pancakes but looked amazing! We asked for a booked taxi for our flight home on the Sunday it was a private taxi costing €65 but it was so much easier than the metro/underground as we only used it for Disney and it's just like London! I would rate this hotel very high! The best part after all the walking was to come back to a jet tub! Amazing! Loved it! Thank you. Wish to come back soon!

• Stayed November 2013
Dear Marshy,

What an amazing review!! There isn't much left for me to say except THANK YOU. I will gladly share your satisfaction with each team member + the Jacuzzi from your room for making your stay special:):)

Feel free to join our Facebook page and contact us directly for your next visit, which I hope will be soon!

Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

We really loved our stay at Secret de Paris. We struggled a little bit finding the hotel the first time(asking for directions in Paris will quite often send you the wrong way), but after the initial visit, you feel right at home here. Its a 3 minute walk to the nearest Metro, and a 10 minute walk to Galeries Lafayette. You have some nice places to eat within walking distance, but not any 5 star restaurants(not that we could find anyhoo). The room was so amazing, with fantastic themes and a great Jacuzzi/spa tub. The staff is incredible, and spoke an impressive amount of languages(even my Chinese wife had someone to talk to). I recommend this hotel to any couple looking for a great place to stay. (Just a little tip, we actually found the best rates by buying directly from Secret de Paris´ website)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Stefan,

I am verry happy that you finally managed to find our hotel despite all the wrong directions that were given to you! It has happened to me several times so I can only imagine in English.
Thank you very much for your lovely review and kind words about the design of our rooms and the ability of the team members.
Regarding restaurants, there are quite a few hidden gems around our hotel, but they are hard to find on your own and always full! We are more than happy to recommend and book them for you.
Last but not least, thank you also for highlighting the offers from our official website, we do guarantee best rates!

I look forward welcoming you again.

Caroline and the SDP team
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Secret de Paris for 3 nights (Oct 30 - Nov 2) during the latter stages of our honeymoon, after experiencing a lot of Europe on a river cruise. We arrived in Paris to traffic bedlam outside Gare du Nord, but it was replaced with smiles and serenity once we checked in at SdP. Viorica welcomed us with a glass of Sangria and spent lots of time giving us help with maps, places we could walk to and info on Hop-On/Hop-Off buses and river cruises. We walked to Sacre Coeur the first evening and enjoyed a local restaurant.

We wondered what the buffet breakfast would be like as the dining area is not large and buffet area quite small. We needn't have worried at all. Our breakfast was included in the arranged price (ensure you do this in advance), but the selection available was wonderful. Fantastic patisserie goods (we waited until Paris to have any croissants on our trip), great selection of cheeses, meats and salmon, cereals, freshly squeezed juices and to our delight, eggs cooked whatever way we wished. My wife had omelette with ham and mushrooms each day, and I tried lots of variety. We needed very little (if any) lunch each day after the morning feast. The multiple double espressos that we ordered were made perfectly and gave us the kick start to each day that we desired.

But this was only one reason this stay was perfect. Caroline went out of her way to ensure we had everything we needed and arranged our river cruise and transfer from the hotel. The following day she followed up to ensure we had a great night. After commenting that the cab driver messed up a little in our dropoff to the cruise location, causing us to make a 5-10 minute walk in the light rain, she immediately made contact with the cab company and arranged a complimentary transfer on our departure. This was not requested, nor necessary, but very much appreciated.

The rooms, while not large, are exactly what I expected. Stylish, funky and a perfect setting for a romantic stay. Variable Mood lighting in the rooms was easy to use and did its job. We had planned to use the Steam Room and Fitness centre but we spent ALL our time exploring Paris so that part of SdP was neglected by us, but on our inspection it looked perfectly suitable should we have chosen to exhaust or relax ourselves.

A wealth of TV channels covered all tastes and most language requirements,and other media/radio entertainment options we didn't have to time explore. Internet access was speedy and easy to use.

On our last night, a public holiday, we hadn't pre-arranged a dinner booking. We asked about one of the nearby restaurants reviewed by another SdP visitor but Caroline advised they were closed due to the holiday. She then got us a last minute table at Chez Grenouille and we couldn't have been happier. It is very close to the hotel (we had sore feet from 3 days of solid walking) and the food was 9.5/10 and a worthy replacement to the other option.

The only downside was we had to leave, and it is a long way from Australia, so regular visits to this wonderful hotel are at this time a dream for us. I promise to master some French before I visit next, but our stay was made real easy by the multi-lingual talents of you and your staff.

Merci beaucoup Caroline, and to Viorica "V" and all of your support staff, for making our first visit to Paris so wonderful.

Room Tip: Had the Eiffel Tower room on Level 4. No noise at all, but was too tired to use anything but the el...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
26609991, Directeur général at Secret de Paris, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Dear Mike, Dear Sharyn,

What a wonderful surprise it was for me to discover your review on Tripadvisor today!! I am sincerely touched by all your kind words, thank you very much for taking the time to write such a detailed review of your experience at Secret de Paris. Be assured that I will share your satisfaction with each team member, including Miss V of course!

Do not worry, even if you come back 3 years from now, you will not be forgotten!

With kind regards

Caroline & SDP team
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

Stayed at Secret De Paris from 5.nov-8.nov in a Musé D'Orsay room.

This hotel is not a very big hotel but keeps to its very stylish parisian personality.

It's a small room but the design makes up for its lack of size. Very beautifully decorated in the Musé D'orsay room to replicate being on lvl 5 of the museum cafe by the clock. Designer toiletries provided on every room turn down.

The customer service is incredibly personal and they do take their time to get to know who you are so they don't have to repeat the scripted-like questions. Great room service.

Steam room and sauna we're adequate and the fitness room is dark and intimate. You're better off going for a walk in their beautiful city rather then using the fitness room.

I noted only 2 negative things about the hotel, one of which is really out of the hotel's control.

Breakfast: although i didn't have the breakfast buffet, the buffet itself really lacked luster for a buffet. Very small selection of cold meats, fruits, cereals, breads and juices. This is probably a good thing considering the brassieres and patisseries very close by. I had a normal set breakfast and was provided with half a slice of bread. I thought that was very odd,

Location: For such a nice hotel, its in an unusual area. Walking distance from Printemps and Galeries LaFayette [literally down the road], and in the other direction was Moulin Rogue and Sacre Cuoer. Walking distance from 2-3 metro stops, closest i found was Liege. I found the location to have a ghetto appeal being so close to moulin rogue, so i didn't feel as safe. 2 weeks earlier i stayed in Le Marais which was a complete contrast to the location of Secret De Paris.

Coffee: Not complimentary and we're charged for all our orders. BE CAREFUL OF THIS. you will not be informed.

If the hotel was in anotehr location similar to Le Marais, id stay again if i didn't find a better hotel that was reasonably priced.

Room Tip: Great hotel for price and service. Research area first!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
26609991, Directeur général at Secret de Paris, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Dear kdash22,

I am very grateful that you took the time to share such valuable feedback with the Tripadvisor community. Also, BRAVO for noticing the exact location of the clock from our Musée d'Orsay room within the museum itself!! I think it's the first time I read it on Tripadvisor :). Be assured that I will share your appreciation of the service with the team, thank you for your kind words about them!
Regarding the negatives, it looked as if you had only seen part of our buffet as we have quite a large selection including cold cuts, cheese platter, fresh fruits, cereals & dry fruits, croissants, pains au chocolat, cereal baguette, plain baguette, yogurts, pancakes, muffins and Brioche! On top of the buffet, we also cook eggs the way you like them and can add Bacon to that (no extra charges). Freshly squeezed orange juice is also unlimited, as well as hot drinks.
Regarding our location, kindly note that since our hotel opened (early 2010), none of our guest ever reported an incident in the area! The only time a few guests got their wallet stolen was in very touristic zones, where Pickpockets are very actives. Luckily, they aren’t around our hotel. They are lots of bars next to the Moulin Rouge and the crowd can be a bit “tipsy” at times, but they are harmless!

I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again.

Caroline Canny

Been to Secret de Paris? Share your experiences!