“Nice boutique hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #31 of 1,793 Hotels in Paris
West Virginia
“Nice boutique hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

We stayed at Secret de Paris for 4 nights while in Paris. The staff was very nice and most spoke very good English. They were very helpful, giving us directions and booking a taxi for our return trip to the airport. Our room was the Trocadero. It was my last choice but we ended up enjoying it. The room is small but well decorated and clean. The only problem I had with the room was the shower. There was no shower curtain so if you used the handheld shower, water sprayed everywhere into the bathroom. If you used the rainshower (which was nice) there wasn't enough water pressure to rinse the shampoo out of your hair. The jetted tube was very nice, we soaked our sore feet in it several times! The breakfast was lacking, but I am picky and pregnant so I couldn't eat the lunch meats or cheeses they served at breakfast. They also undercook their eggs in Europe, so the scrambled were soupy and the "hard" boiled we asked for were actually soft boiled. The location of the hotel was very good. We were very close to the metro stop Place de Clichy. I was worried about how long it would take us to get to the main attractions in Paris (ex. Lourve, Eiffel Tower, etc.) but it didn't seem to take long at all. The subway system is a little confusing but we would plan our trip before we left and had no problems. Overall we enjoyed the hotel, and I would consider staying here if we ever went back to Paris.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
26609991, Directeur général at Secret de Paris, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear ward103,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share such detailed feedback following your stay with us. I am glad that you ended up enjoying your Trocadero room and it's black and gold colors!

Kindly note that we do not have shower curtains for hygienic reasons. Nevertheless, the glass panel protects about half of the bathtub but I totally understand that some water might sprayed out. If that happens, a quick call at the front desk and we will run upstairs to wipe out the undesired water!

I have noted your remarks about the eggs and I will highlight the importance of well cooking eggs for pregnant women to the breakfast team!

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you and your soon to arrive baby in the future!

Caroline CANNY

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
  • Turkish first
Watford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

A wonderful hidden gem! Small, boutique hotel with lots of charm. Cleanest hotel I have ever stayed in. The room had a great rainfall shower and a jacuzzi bath. The pillows were in the shape of a heart when we returned to the room each day. Many restaurants nearby, and a great bakery. We ignored the metro, and walked all over Paris, with even the Eiffel Tower and Notre Dame within an hours walk. The room came complete with excellent sound proofing, hearing neither your neighbours or the Parisian traffic outside. The best I hotel I have ever stayed in, anywhere, ever.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear FireFingers,

It is a very special feeling for the entire team and myself to be qualified as "the best hotel you have ever stayed". Thank you for making us feel that way :)

I have shared your satisfaction regarding the cleanliness of our hotel with the housekeeping team and they were very touched by your words.

We look forward welcoming you again.

Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

This is a cute hotel in District 9, northern Paris. The staff is very friendly and helpful with any question or a reservation.
The rooms are very comfortable and creatively decorated.
The breakfast was great with eggs any style and pastries from a nearby bakery!
We enjoyed our 3 nights and would go back!
The only negative is the location.

Room Tip: All the rooms have double windows and are quiet. They do not all have tubs in the bathroom.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Julie,

It was our pleasure to assist you during your stay and I am delighted that the team was able to help! I hope your daughter liked the shoes you very carefully selected for her :)
Thank you for your kind words about the staff and the breakfast. We are very fortunate to have one of the best Bakery in Paris next to our hotel and could not have chosen another partner for your breakfasts!

Our hotel is located in the heart of the right bank, walking distance from the Opera Garnier as well as the magical Montmartre area. I understand that having to do some specific shopping on the left bank, it took you a little time to reach there.

We hope to see you in the near future

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

This is a delightful, modern and clean hotel with exceptionally helpful and courteous staff. Need I say more? Although the rooms are a bit small, who cares? When in Paris, I"m not there to stay in my room! Also, upon entering my room, there was an incredibly beautiful and flavorful welcome basket of fruit awaiting me. Too good to be true...

Room Tip: Just know ahead of time that the Moulin Rouge rooms are all very red.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Dear L2T22,

I certainly hope that it will continue to be true for many more years to come!
The entire team felt very fortunate to read your compliments regarding their service, thank you very much for bringing an XL smile on everyone's face here at the hotel!

Should we give you rendez-vous next year?

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed here for two nights in July and had a really great time. We arrived late and were greeted warmly by the night receptionist. He explained all about the hotel and was helpful with all requests.

The room itself was great, really special, we stayed in the opera room. If anything it's slightly on the small side but for a central Paris location this is probably average size. The bathroom was lovely and had a jacuzzi as well and the lighting (when you worked out how to use it!) was great.

The hotel was centrally located and was about 5 mins to the metro stop and about 5-10 mins to gallerie la fayette as a landmark.

I'm not sure it would be appropriate for families but I would recommend this for a couples weekend away very strongly.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Charly,

I am thrilled to read that the team took good care of you during your stay and be assured that I have passed on your kind words to each one of them.
The Opera Garnier room does have a special feel thanks to its wooden floor, red velvet curtains and ballerina shoes. I am glad you enjoyed the special atmosphere.

Finally, I would like to highlight that we also welcome families and they generally find it very fun to sleep inside a monument of Paris.

Thank you very much for your kind words, we hope to see you again soon.

Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

This was my second stay at the Secret de Paris and it did not disappoint!
There are so many reasons I like this hotel. First and foremost because of the staff all of whom speak excellent English. They are also genuinely friendly, knowledgeable, helpful and efficient - a rare combination in Paris. The hotel is well located - there are 2 Metro stops closeby: Place de Clichy and Liege. Also if you happen to be coming from or going to the UK on EuroStar, Gare du Nord is only 10 minutes away by taxi. The hotel itself has a small gym and sauna and a lovely breakfast/bar area. The rooms are modern, well appointed and a good size (by Paris standards). In terms of shopping and entertainment - you are close to the Moulin Rouge, Montmatre and Gallerie Lafayette plus dining out is easy as there are plenty of little restaurants within easy walking distance scattered around the area.
I travel regularly to Paris for work and this is the best boutique hotel I have found. I will be back....again!

Room Tip: I stayed in the Artists Studio this time. It is the biggest room in the hotel - so you can really s...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Dear Sue,

Your wonderful feedback as well as your loyalty are the best reward for the entire team and myself. I haven't got much to add to your very accurate description but just wanted to highlight that comments like yours are a fantastic motivation for all of us and makes us want to always do more for our guests.

Thank you very very much Sue and we will be here waiting for you next year!

Helsinki
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

This hotel is located a bit further from downtown, but well connected through the metro network. Coming from the CDG airport, you can opt to take RER and metro, and get quite close. There are a few restaurants close to the hotel, but for a bigger and better choice you have to jump on the metro somewhere.

We arrived early, and staff was quick to take our luggage and we could grab a lunch while our room was being prepared.

What strikes me at this hotel is the relative silence, as many Paris hotels are noisy to a point of making it hard to sleep. Not here - management has invested in very good sound insulation, and you are almost guaranteed to get a good night's sleep.

This is definitely a hotel for couples - the rooms with different themes allow you plenty of choice, and the front desk was quick to point out that we could choose to swap rooms any morning if we wished so. We chose not to, but if you are spending several nights here, do consider trying out several rooms.

The reception was very warm and welcoming, and the staff was very flexible in arranging a surprise for my wife the first night. Big thanks to Irène for setting that up! The hotel offers a "Romance in Paris" package for the more adventurous couples.

Breakfast was good - a fairly standard buffet breakfast, with eggs of choice made to order in the kitchen as a nice touch. No runny scrambled egg made of powder here - only the real stuff.

The Jacuzzi bath (available in some of the rooms) was a real saver after long walks in the city, and the room lighting requires a special mention. There are three different preset lighting levels available, from full light down to very intimate.

The only thing that was slightly annoying was that the curtains were hooked shut. This goes with the theme of the room, but means it takes some effort if you want to open the (double) windows to get a view outside.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a bath - you won't regret it after a long day of walking. I don't ex...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
26609991, Directeur général at Secret de Paris, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear Ged-fi,

Thank you very much for a very detailed and structured review of our hotel! I am sure that your comment will greatly help the travellers community from Tripadvisor.
Irène wanted to say that "Your are most welcome and she loves helping with surprises:)"

Of course our hotel welcomes quite a few couples and we certainly like that! But we also have many business travellers who appreciate our fast wifi access, our easy printing services, the 24hours access to fitness/Sauna & steam as well as 24h concierge service.

I have well noted your remark about the curtains and I will look into it as it is the first time I hear about difficulties to open them.

I look forward welcoming you again.

Caroline CANNY

Been to Secret de Paris? Share your experiences!