“Great Location but Cramped Room with no Shelving in Bathroom” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #291 of 1,795 hotels in Paris
Orlando, Florida
“Great Location but Cramped Room with no Shelving in Bathroom”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2011

Holiday Inn Notre Dame Paris—Room 205—Dates of Stay 6-8 January 2011
We arrived around 3 pm, 15h, and were promptly greeted as Platinum members. I was upgraded to an executive room with King Sized Bed and Sofa Bed. My booking was with points for a room with two twin beds. There was a large flat screen tv with many channels-mostly French but with news channels in English, French, and Arabic. There was one Spanish channel but no German channels. There was a work desk with outlets and plug in for internet cable, a lamp and chair, and a small round table between bed and desk. There was a minibar with items fairly priced for large city, but we only used it to keep some sandwiches and a soft drink. One had to put key in slot by door for electricity. The heat and a/c were individually controlled and both worked in January. We needed air since we couldn’t open windows, and it was muggy. We didn’t unfold sofa bed so no comments on its comfort. There was a small swiveling chair in corner by window. There were two bedside tables: one with phone and both with stereo speakers. All lights could be controlled from each bedside and from entry, but oddly enough, not from bathroom or desk even for those lights. There was a closet with hangers and decent sized safe. There was an area between bureau and refrigerator with several ledges, two of which had kettle and supplies for tea, coffee, and hot chocolate. Bathroom had toilet, sink, and shower. Shower had rain head plus side sprays and a shower cord. Pressure was low if using more than one. Sink had weird control that made it hard to determine if hot or cold. Water pressure varied with temperature, but the quality was good. Toilet flushed very well and was used often since both of us were sick from too much raw seafood and fish in Marseille-I think one must have to develop the stomach for the many sea creatures. For this reason, we never ate breakfast so can’t comment except to say buffet was 19 euros and continental breakfast in bar was 9 euros. One major issue with bathroom was no shelving and no ledges. We had to use work desk for our toiletries and such. Sofa made room cramped. I guess if it had not been an executive room, then there would have been no sofa bed, no safe, and no minibar, but I think the only difference was those items in the same sized room thus too much furniture in room. Room was quiet for most part-we were on 2nd floor with traffic on Rue Denton outside, but there were double windows-one could be opened by firefighters in case of emergency, but no real view except street. The first morning, they tried to enter room to check mini bar even though sign on door to not enter!
Since my notebook computer had no connection for internet cable, I was told I could purchase wifi for 5 euros/24 hour period but could only use in bar/lobby area. The cable at the lowest speed was the same as the wifi pricewise. Being the curious doubter than I am, I left my computer on and returned to my room after checking my email in the lobby, and it worked perfectly so I used the wifi in my room the rest of the time. I did have to get another password the second day. Hotel has observation deck which offers many great views of taller monuments in Paris such as Sacre Couer, the Eiffel Tower, Montparnasse, Notre Dame, etc. It was cloudy the night we went up but still beautiful.
Staff made up mostly of young, handsome men who provided great service, spoke great English, but who always seemed to be on the phone so you had to wait 10-30 seconds each time. A wake–up call was requested the last morning and personally received on time-no recording. There were plenty of towels including two large ones. Since we were both sick, we slept until noon and didn’t leave the room until 2 pm the first day except I did make a quick jaunt to the post office 100m away from the hotel (right out the door of hotel) on Rue Danton towards Odeon. We left the Do Not Disturb sign on door until we left, but when we returned 2 ½ hours later, the room had not been cleaned. The young man at the front desk said our sign had been on the door until the past hour, but I said that it had been off since just before 2 pm. He said they would still clean our room, and I asked how late that could be done. He didn’t provide specifics so I requested 7 pm since we had a dinner reservation just after then. He said no problem, we stopped by to reconfirm as we were leaving, and the room was cleaned with completely restocked supplies and towels on our return 2 ½ hours later. We received two bar coupons because of my Platinum status but did not use since we were sick most of the time. Check out was smooth and accurate. There was a young lady there then, and we conversed entirely in French. The young men almost always responded in English. The lobby was spacious and clean with the bar, but as I said, we didn’t use our drink coupons.
In summary, the location can’t be beat! I am only giving it a 4 because the room was cramped, the lack of shelving in bathroom, the ignoring of the “We’re sleeping” sign, etc. I found the hotel to be priced higher than it deserved, although I used points and only had to pay 10 euros at checkout for the 2 days of internet usage, which should have been free to Platinum Priority Club member. I probably wouldn’t stay here if I had to pay the rates I saw on line. Points come in handy at times! If I were staying in that area of town and paying, I would stay elsewhere to get more for less.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

847 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
  • Turkish first
Charleston, SC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2011

I thought this was the perfect property for what we wanted. The locations is perfect if you want to be close to the famous sites. The views on the top deck of the property are truely amazing and worth every penny to stay here....5* view.
We stayed in a standard Eiffel Tower view room. The room was small but expected. Loved the little porch. The room was modern and everything you would expect in a 3*. Our bathroom was fine....better than a lot of other 3* properties in Europe....being new and modern helps.
I have stayed at many hotels around Europe and if you want a great 3* in Paris this is it.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Birmingham UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2011

This is the first time we stayed at this Holiday Inn and to be honest it will be the last. I still rate the Holiday Inn as a brand, just not this hotel. The location was great, the staff were good and helpful, but the room looked great but when you came to use the sink in the bathroom you discover it can hold very little water. There was very little space in the bathroom and a definite lack of work-surface to set anything on. There was a nice feature in the wall between the bathroom and the bedroom, it was a panoramic window which had a pull down blind which you could still see through!!
On our second day there the room was spotlessly cleaned. The third day the tea cups had not been changed and there was still rubbish on the floor. I suppose it was New Year's day.
The room was an Executive Room for three adults, myself, my wife, and our daughter. The wardrobe space was 8 hangers which faced forward and a shelf. The rest of the space was taken up with the safe and dressing gowns etc.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
NS Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2011

I thought this hotel was such a great find!!!

We were a group of 3 girls, visiting Paris for 4 days. We had a room with a pull-out couch and queen bed; so it accomodated us well. The room was tight; but it worked. A nice TV, Ipod dock, plenty of outlets, super clean with a modern decor. The bed was very comfortable.

The only weird thing was the shower/bathroom. It had a window to the rest of the room!! Maybe ok for a couple, but a little awkward for a group of conservative friends!!! There was a blind, but a silhouette was still visible!!! Still, the bathroom was well equipped and clean.

I loved how close we were to the St-Michel Subway/Train station. It was one of the stations that had both the Metro and the RER. That means you can take the train to and from the airport, and you only have to wheel your suitcase a few blocks (although the stairs in the subway were a bit challenging - still worth the money saved). You can also take the Metro to the Arc de Triomphe, Eiffel Tower, Sacre-Coeur, etc. and then home again - it was less than 5 minutes back to the hotel from the subway! Lots of restaurants and touristy spots nearby in the neighbourhood as well. Great area for walking around - walking distance to Notre Dame.

Overall - GREAT pick for a hotel in Paris.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2011

It is a good 3 star hotel. Service is minimal but sufficient. Location is perfect, right outside of RER station exit 3/4.
Room is clean but design is not user-friendly. Shower tap is too far to reach if you want to open it from outside of the tub, because of the glass door. Glass door is too narrow, water can splash to bathroom floor. Tap over the basin is almost impossible to open when your hands are wet which is usually the case.
Service is not terrible, but I was astonished when I tried to ask he receptionist to bring network cable to my room politely. The answer I got is "absolutely not!". He could have just said no. It is not a five star hotel anyway. everything else is ok.
Overall not value for money. But if you redeem free nite by points like me, it's good.

• Stayed December 2010
Utrecht
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2010

The location is perfect, in the middle of all restaurants / bars and close to the Seine and centre. Staff is young, at first site a little cranky but there are very friendly.
Standard rooms are a bit small, butt very nice, cosy and modern. You can pay a 35 Euro extra for the Eiffel Tower View, do it! Ask for a room on a high floor (6 or 7), the view over the Paris roofs makes it really special. There is a nice balcony. Room 711 is a nice standard eiffel tower room, its a corner room and has a extra large balcony and you can see the eiffel tower when you are taking a shower. Rooms are very expensive, better booking in front on there internet and pay less (175 euro for standard room incl. breakfast, 35 extra for the view).

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Bangkok, Thailand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2010

The location of this nhotel is very good and that is all it has and you pay for it, badly.

The room I had was dark and small, I didn't feel comfortable there and the reception seems disorganized.

Unless you want to stay in the area you'd better look for another cheaper hotel

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Paris - Notre Dame? Share your experiences!