“Great Hotel, Fantastic Location” 4 of 5 stars

Alfa Hotel Nation
12 Rue Guenot, 75011 Paris, France (République)   |
Ranked #761 of 1,793 Hotels in Paris
Darlington, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel, Fantastic Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2011

Me and my boyfriend stayed in this hotel just before christmas and had a lovely stay. After reading a variety of reviews we were worried about what to expect but it turned out that we needn't have worried.

The first thing that we noted about the hotel was its fantastic location. The hotel is about a 5 minute work from Nation metro station which has a few main metro lines running through it and also some RER lines. This made it really easy to get to wherever we wanted in Paris with ease, it's definately worth while getting a Paris Visite card as we definately got our moneys worth.

On arrival at the hotel the staff were really friendly and helpful and we were given our room key and told to go and settle in before paying.

The rooms are basic and the decor dated but they are spotless and cleaned every day. The shower room was tiny but this wasn't a problem as it contained everything we needed for a short break. There is no mirror in the bedroom so if you need one to do hair etc. then I would recommend talking one as the one in the bathroom stays steamed up for a while. The bed was really comfy, which was something we didn't expect for such a cheap price and it was a queen size which was a nice bonus.

The hotel is on a side street and our room was facing the road but as it is only a small street there was no road noise. The walls in the rooms are quite thin but this wasn't an issue on a night time as everybody around us was quiet.

We paid for breakfast for everyday when we arrived which cost us €5 each per day which we thought was good value for money. However it was simply a basket of French bread and a hot drinks machine. I would recommend going to one of the patisseries or supermarkets nearby as you could get the same for less.

The hotel offers excellent value for money in an excellent location and I would definately stay there again next time I visit Paris.

Room Tip: Not ideal for those with mobility problems.
  • Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
PL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2011

Alfa Nation has about the cheapest doubles with bathroom you can find in Paris and is a perfect place for budget travellers.

The rooms are not very comfortable - quite small, with extremely small bathrooms - and you can hear noise from the corridors and neighbouring rooms. However, the rooms are impeccably clean, daily cleaned and provided with fresh towels, soap and shampoo. The guys staffing the reception were really nice and helpful. Free internet is available on 2 computers at the lobby. Wi-fi in theory only in the lobby, but I could catch it easily in the room as well.
The location is very good - within short walking distance to Place Nation (very good access by public transport to anywhere in Paris, including airports) and to lively parts of the 11 arrondissement, one of the most colourful places in Paris.

Tip for ultra-budget travellers - Place Nation has a direct bus connection with Charles de Gaulle airport by bus no. 351. It costs only 3 standard metro tickets, substantially cheaper than by RER.

There was no problem with booking by simple e-mail, without the whole credit card and advance payment circus.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Pescara, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2011

I spent 3 nights in this hotel which is situated 5 minutes far from Nation metro station. I chose it first of all for the price (45 € per room per night) and then for the location and the positive opinions of the travellers who had already been here. But I could not imagine how these opinions were real!

The room was not very big but it had anyway space to move properly; the bath was little but clean and with hot water and big pressure in the shower; towels were changed every day and the room resettled every morning.

We did not have breakfast (5 euro for milk, coffee, orange juice, baguette and jam) but there is a very goods patisserie on the main street towards the metro.

Location is great; it is 5 minutes far from Nation station, which has 4 different lines (also line 1, so that from Port Maillot you are directly linked).

I will definetly suggest this hotel to all travellers going to paris who need only a bed to sleep and a bath to have a shower at the end of the day.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2010

Definitely would NOT RECOMMEND anyone to stay here! Before our trip to Paris, we were considering staying here. So I emailed the Alfa with just a few questions such as where they suggested I park my car and if rooms were no smoking. They only answered 1 of my 5 questions. So I emailed them again about my other questions. Again, they would only answer one question at a time and then told me I am not welcome to stay at the Alfa! So I guess when it comes to their service, they just don’t want to help their customers. They also told me.... Quote “write what you want” on the Trip Advisor website. So they obviously don’t care whether they upset their customers and how unhelpful they really are.

I don’t care how budget the accommodation is, Paris is a wonderful city (been there before), and service, or lack thereof, at The Hotel Alfa Nation Paris is not worth ruining my experience in Paris. I love going to Paris and recommend staying anywhere else but NOT the Hotel Alfa Nation Paris.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2010

It is good if you don't want to spend a lot and use the hotel just to sleep and take a shower. It is just 5 minutes from the metro station "Nation", not central but easy reachable with many different lines.
The room was pretty normal, the bathroom definitley SMALL but we didn't care too much. The staff is very friendly. Free internet at the reception.
I would recommend it.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Leicester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2010

the hotel alfa was a good base for our stay. its location close to the Nation area of Paris was ideal, with good links for the metro lines 1,2,6 and 9 linking all the major attractions, and bus 351 from the CDG airport. the room was clean, and checked daily by the staff, who were friendly, well-mannered and helpful. The facilities were not the best and the decor dark. The breakfast was the biggest let down as there was no hot food and no cereals, only sliced baguettes with jams and butter. there was a hot drinks vending machine and the only other option was orange juice in a carton. for the youth hostelling type this is ideal but for those that want some home comforts give this hotel a miss

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2010

I spent a lot of time researching where to stay in Paris on a tight budget and there really wasn't much to choose from. At €45 a night this place was an absolute steal and significantly cheaper than most of the other cheap options. We were in room 16. It was painted quite a dark blue colour which made it a bit dark, but there was a nice large window. The room itself was a reasonable size. Big enough for a desk. It was basic but clean. The bathroom was very small but the shower was warm. The room was cleaned and towels changed daily and the people who ran the place were friendly. There was even free wifi! It's not right in the centre of town but there are few attractions within walking distance like the Pere Lachaise Cemetary, the elevated gardens and the Bastille market. Other than that, everything was just a short hop on the metro. I would highly recommend this place. It's no 5* luxury but you certainly get far more than you pay for.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Alfa Hotel Nation? Share your experiences!