“horribly overpriced” 1 of 5 stars
Review of El sol

El sol
147, Rue St Dominique, 75007 Paris, France (Tour Eiffel / Invalides)
01 45 55 84 09
Neighborhood: Tour Eiffel / Invalides
London, United Kingdom
“horribly overpriced”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

I ate there while I was on a business trip and was severely disappointed. I expected a variety of hot and cold Spanish tapas, but everything was cold and out of a jar. It was expensive and the food was really poor - disintegrated bland artichokes. If you are expecting dinner, you will be disappointed.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Paris, France
“excellent spanish experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

in fact I wento the same restaurant rue Ponthieu in paris. absolutely fabulous menu. the boss suggested us to decided what we should eat and drink. dangerous decision but we were in a good mood and followed his recommandation. we had plenty of different dishes from the Bellota ham, various sausages, boudin, beef tail....asparagus. we drink white and red spanish wine and finally a bottle of champagne. very nice waiters explaning the food, the spanish region and their wine and foods....
restaurant is small, table as well and a bit noisy. however a very nice evening.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
New Jersey
“¡Maravilloso!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We stumbled across El Sol one evening on our way back to the hotel. We had already had dinner but were ready for a little snack. So we stopped into El Sol. They recommended a delightful crianza (aged red) wine and a little plate of jamón iberico (spanish ham) with some fresh bread and a kind of tomato-gazpacho dip. ¡Excelente!

We enjoyed it so much that we returned a couple of evenings later and had tapas: roasted red peppers, asparagus, etc, along with some dessert. ¡Increíble!

So, while I cannot comment on having dinner, I recommend a visit for some lovely spanish wine and tapas. You won´t regret it.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Orcutt, California
“I swear there isn't a kitchen in this place”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stumbled upon this spanish place after seeing the Eiffel Tower. We were originally planning to eat somewhere else but when we saw the pata negra hams hanging it caught our attention. The place (purposely avoiding the word restaurant) was just opening up. 2 small tables outside and 3-4 tables inside. Most of the place was filled up by the bar/hostess station area. The girl who sat us down, took our order and "made" our food was nice. But from the last table with a view into the "kitchen" I could see through the saloon doors to see a fridge/storage closet area and what had to be a small kitchenette. Ding! The microwave went off and we knew we were in trouble. We each ordered our own dish but the waitress told me they were out of my dish. I just assumed an ingredient was missing. But it must have been gone from the freezer selection they had to choose from. Mind you this is summer, Friday night, and the place first opened so I wasn't sure how they would be out of something. So I shared some of my husband's paella. It tasted the same quality as a boxed Zataran's jambalya rice- with a frozen mix of seafood added on top. The flavor was poor considering the meal was 19E!! Seriously?? And of course the water we ordered were 5E per bottle. I guess it all goes to rent because they are not investing anything into this place other than the ham hanging on the wall. A huge disappointment.

• Visited September 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
San Francisco, California
“Go for the ambience, friendly service but not the food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

A very cute eatery off the Ave Franklin D. Roosevelt, with a welcoming and warm atmosphere. A small, bright space with only a few tables with stools. We originally went in for only a drink, but the server, who was very nice, recommended an array of options and ordered an entire meal for us. The suggested wine was pretty good. We were, however, disappointed with the quality of food. Order of the asparagus, sardines and anchovies were from a jar and can (and in fact we noticed later those items were available as merchandise for sale on a shelf). The iberico ham and manchego were fine but not overwhelming. This would be an ideal place for pre-dinner drinks or a quick stop if in the area.

• Visited June 2012