“A great experience” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Passage 53

Passage 53
53 Passage des Panoramas, 75002 Paris, France (Opera / Bourse)
+33 1 42 33 04 35
Neighborhood: Opera / Bourse
Australia
“A great experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

We had the degustation lunch at Passage 53. Give yourself a few extra minutes to locate it, as it is out of the way down an interesting set of passages off rue Vivienne. The meal was original, with some remarkable dishes, some a bit less so. Service was great, friendly and unpretentious. They were accommodating of a couple of our food restrictions. It is worth going up the tiny spiral staircase to the bathrooms, just to also see the quite small kitchen that produces such an amazing set of dishes. Expensive but worth it for a special Paris treat.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Paris, France
“Perfect in every way”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

We went as a party of four and because of trouble on the Metro I arrived an hour late. This did not phase the team in the restaurant who were charming, welcoming and did everything to ease the stress I was feeling. After an aperitif, the menu was explained to us as a surprise menu based on fresh daily ingredients and a suggestion of an additional dish with Caviar de Sologne which we declined. At no stage were we pushed to having something extra or more pricey. The different dishes arrived at a pace which allowed us to savour each dish and not feel rushed but also not to have to wait 30 minutes between each course. We hardly were aware of the time passing! Each dish was announced and described without any pretension and all were perfectly cooked and pleasing to the eye. I did not count the number of courses but there were at least 5 + 2 dessert courses. The only one that did not convince me was the first - oysters with shavings of foie gras. But the rest were outstanding, with very original combinations of flavours and textures. My test of a good chef is their ability to cook fish and I was not disappointed - the turbot was succulent and flaked apart on the fork, as it should. Our guests were in heaven and we were very pleased with the evening. We will definitely go there again.

Just a point, unless you are very lucky on the day, you need to book weeks in advance for this tiny restaurant. It only seats about 20 people, so it is full all the time. Also it is in a fairly nondescript shopping passage and you could walk past and not notice it at all. I congratulate the wait staff who very deftly carry 4 plates at a time down the extremely narrow winding staircase, a real skill.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Wow!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

You walk through the Passage des Panoramas and find #53, an unpretentious doorway with windows on either side covered by white shades. When you go in, you find yourself in a plain, shoebox-shaped room with rows of tables running down either side, seating only 20 people. The atmosphere consists of a curious combination of hush and pleasure, for everyone there has come for some serious eating of the highest quality. And that's what we got, a symphony of tiny plates flowing smoothly and graciously from a light opening chilled yellow carrot emulsion/soup bursting with natural sweetness to vegetables, fish, guinea fowl, lamb of unimaginable delicacy and lightness and a final cannonade of tiny desserts that was impossible to refuse. The service is impeccable, after the initial urging to try the caviar, which we declined firmly. The dishes come in a stream, each serving (there were 8 servings of a total of 14 plates) brought to the four of us simultaneously by a pair of excellent waiters closely followed by the excellent and knowledgeable sommelier who kept our glasses from ever emptying, but never over-filled them. The food was French in ingredients but with a Japanese aesthetic, meaning pure and clear and understated, with the ingredients shining in each dish. We are not fond of huge meals, and while 14 tiny plates add up to a lot of food most of it was very light so we did not waddle when we left. The two Michelin stars are well deserved.

Frederiksberg, Denmark
“Go there for the dessert! Not the rest”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Hmm.. well it is a little difficult for me to write what I actually feel about this restaurant

I loved the location and also the very very Scandinavian decoration = no decoration at all. It leaves you room to enjoy the food and the company your are with. The room is totally white and there is NO view t anything at all.

But when it comes to the food i find it to be safe. I mean it all taste nice but it is so safe. Nothing will spring to your attention. Nothing new. No surprises. It almost feel as white as the room. So very boring...
(And I could not eat the Spanish meat as there was a vain in it ;o(

This goes for the starters and for the main courses. No surprises and nothing new

BUT BUT then came the desserts! Now we are talking! I have never in my life had that good desserts. And I'm NOT a dessert lover. Normally I pass it for being to sweet etc etc.. but this was perfect. In came one dessert after the other and they just became better and better!

I will not visit this restaurant again for the starters nor the main course. But I will LOVE to comeback just for the desserts!

Ohhh about the service. they do not change your knife between meals. Which I find quite repulsive. It is just bad manner in my world. And even after telling it to the servant he just put it back ;o(

PS I don't expect to be back

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Most probably the best experience for a long time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Located in this historical arcade of the Passage des Panoramas (behind the old stock exchange), among average eateries for tourists and tiny shops , this fantastic 2 Michelin stars restaurant offers one of the most exquisite and perfect dining experience you can get in Paris on these days. We went for the tasting menu , a superb 7 courses, where french standards combinations only rivals with the japanese perfection of execution and presentation. Impressive wine list and suggestions made by the sommelier were extremely helpful . Service was discrete and effective. French cuisine at its best , with the sense of perfection and meticulosity of the Japanese chef Sato Schinichi. Not cheap but as we say what you pay is what you get and quality here has a price. An excellent adress , a serious pretender to those french chefs who have become quite blasé with their own cuisine in the past years. A serious tribute to the french cuisine made by a japanese cook. And finally a simple answer to those who wonder why there are so many highly rated restaurants in japan.

• Visited November 2012