“Do not be conned! This place purports to offer heaps but is the absolute pitsts!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Residence Pelican

You added Residence Pelican to your Saves list
Residence Pelican
7 rue du Pelican, 75001 Paris, France (Louvre / Palais-Royal)   |
Ranked #37 of 128 Specialty Lodging in Paris
Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011

In my opinion this place charges 4-5 star rates but delivers 2.5 star service. The on-line video and previous good reviews must be fake!!

This place ruined my trip of a lifetime to Paris...I cried myself to sleep on more than one occasion! It was soo bad!! We stayed in both the Romantic and the Cosy suites. If i hadn't pre-paid I would have found somewhere else after only one night.

If you are considering staying at Pelican Residencs read the following first.

1. Television - the lure of a flat screen tv both in the pictures and the specs is 'sad'. The television worked only 30 % of the time. (pretty significant if you stay more than a week) When we reported it, there were promises of getting a technician in to fix it but it never happened. When it did work it was a bit 'suss'. It would work for about an hour and then freeze. You could sometimes switch off and turn it back on...but most times it remained stuck.

2. Shower - you would assume that in most apartments you could have a leisurely shower with a medium pressure. Not here as we found out when we flooded the entire bathroom floor as the gradient of run off to the drain was almost flat.

3. Safe - this was close to useless. It wasn't bolted down. It was fully removable and was positioned to help prop up the kitchen table leg which was too short to reach the floor.

4. Tea Towel - when you rent a self catering apartment you would expect a tea towel so you could dry the dishes. Not so.

5. Hair drying and shaving in the bathroom - most people like to style their hair or shave in front of the mirror in the bathroom. Not here! = the power point didn't work.

6. Microwave - there is a micowave but the only dish youcan use in it is a small glass bowl.

7.Clothes drying - there is a washing machine but no place to hang out a load of washing.No clothes airer. the only option is to hang everything on coat hangers near the window

8. Non - smokers - the whole room stunk of stale smoke. The curtains were yellow at the bottom from smoke and even when you opened the windows right up it was hard to avoid getting a headache.

9. stairs - there are 20 stairs between each floor. They are spiral winding all the way up and very uneven surfaces...a combination of stone and wood. i wouldn't suggest negotiating without the light on. The pictures of the staircase are deceiving.

10. Bed - the mattress in the Romantic suite is worn out. It dips about 4 inches in the middle to create a V shape. It felt like sleeping on the side of a gully. The springs stuck out so much that on two occasions I woke with the spring imprint in my arm.

11. no Service - you have to ask for every thing. When the shower flooded and we used the towels and a bucket to mop it all up...housekeeping took the towels but didn't replace them. When the toilet paper ran out..and housekeeping had been that day..we had to ask for more.

12. Cleanliness - if you want to walk around barefoot...think again. the floor was so filthy I ended up with black feet from wandering around the unit.

13. Don't try to change the credit card you want to pay on. When i booked I gave one card number but when we arrived I mentioned I wanted to pay on another one. The Manager said he'd check. Next I saw there was a debit against my first card.

14. Quiet - if you want to sleep well and relax...think again this is a really noisy location especially at 3am and without air conditioning you have to leave the windows open at night.

15. Broken promises - when we swapped rooms...they shifted our luggage but threw out our fridge contents. When we mentioned this we were promised some milk but it never arrived.

On day of our departure the Manager offered help with our suitcases and that he would book a taxi. When the time came...there was no help and no taxi. A very awful broken promise for people in their 50's at 6am!!

in summary this place is like asking 4 star prices for a 2 star facility and accommodation.

Room Tip: Don't be lured by this location. This area is now full of gypsies pickpockets and con men ...we...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

We travelled to Paris and stayed at the Residence Pelican in the Penthouse Suite for 12 nights - September 2011. I was travelling with my parents (in their 70s and my girlfriend).
I can't say enough about how much we enjoyed staying in the Penthouse. As there are no elevators getting to the Penthouse was a bit of a hike - up 5 flights. At first my parents were a bit winded but after the second day they were climbing the stairs with no problem. They are very well lit and have good railings ... they just took it slow!!!
I was very surprised to see some of the negative comments about the Pelican. All I can say is that if you want 5 star perfection then I suggest going to a 5 star hotel and paying the price! The Pelican feels like you are visiting a friend's place. Lovely hardwood floors were very clean.
The location is fabulous - a five minute walk to the Louvre, Jardin du Tuileries and the Rue de Rivoli. About a 25 minute walk up the Champs-Elysees to arrive at the Arc de Triumph. The metro is only a couple blocks away and it's very easy to use. There is a grocery store around the corner, two fabulous bakeries and a lovely wine store at the end of the street. You really feel like you are living in Paris and not just a tourist. We visited Paris 4 years ago and stayed in the same district, paid a fortune for the hotel, and didn't have the same cozy experience as we did at the Pelican.
Fred was there to meet us as promised. His English is very good. We arrived in Paris very early in the morning and he was there to meet us at 10:00 am to gather up all our bags and keep them for us. The room was ready early (at 2:00 pm). Fred had taken all our suitcases up to the Penthouse and deposited them for us. As he lives on the first floor he was there at all times answering all our questions and making any sort of arrangements with a smile on his face. What would we have done without him? He was our "go-to" guy.
There was a problem with the washing machine so Fred had the maid collect all our laundry and have it washed and back to us in hours. We had a problem with a slow running bathroom sink and by the time we got back from our day it was fixed. The kitchen was lovely -stocked with coffee, filters and lots of soap. I had taken a roll of toilet paper in my suitcase in case there wasn’t toilet paper there when we arrived but there happened to be a good supply. The bathrooms consisted of one room for the toilet, one room held the shower (which by the way was fabulous with tons of hot water) and then the main bathroom with the sink and bathtub with shower. All the applicances worked perfectly except for the washing machine. What was really special was the fact that we could have our meals out on the deck! Even though there were quite a few restaurants on the street level we found at night we didn't hear a thing.
The Wi-Fi worked perfectly and the telephone was free to call North America. There was 2 big flat screen TVs and a DVD player (who has time to watch TV in Paris?). There was even a couple of electrical adaptor plugs in the drawers in case you had forgotten to bring them from home. The Penthouse was a good size with the four of us having lots of privacy.
The Pelican is located down a very small street - almost like an alley. Don't get put off when the taxi driver lets you off and you wonder where you are! There is a small hotel right across the alley that really looks like it's a 2 star hotel but the young proprietor was around a lot and we found that his English was very good and he was very helpful with directions and helped us make a few phone calls our first day!
Upon our departure Fred was there again taking care of us – the night before he ordered us two cabs to arrive the next morning and was there first thing at our door to take all our luggage back downstairs to the waiting cab!! Voila.
Looking forward to our next trip to Paris next summer -- we will definitely be staying at the Residence Pelican. Hope Fred is still there!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Saint Petersburg, Saint Petersburg City, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2011

We liked our stay very much. Everything was very comfortable, the staff were friendly, helpful and spoke English well. The apartement was cosy and well-equipped. Wi-fi, some books&travel guides, good TV-set made our stay even more satisfying. But there were 2 problems: the sofas were not comfortable and the shower did not work, but we solved the last one. The location is excellent - city centre, calm at night. The foodstore was handy, as well as shops, cafes and museums. <3

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

We rented the penthouse for three nights in July 2011. The area was very spacious. I found the apartment clean, anticipated some wear and tear on furniture, but not significant as previous comments. Fred was there when we arrived, helped bring suitcases up. The staircase is narrow and steep, I would caution people with physical limitations to avoid this rental. The stairs are challenging.
The washing machine was broken, told it was going to be fixed, but it never was. Light bulbs in bathroom were replaced promptly though.
All in all it is an excellent spot with lots of space. 2 bakeries a block away, many restaurants and bistros nearby. Decent sized grocery store a block away. Close proximity to metro and the Louvre and Jardins de Tuileries.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Christchurch, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2011

I am a bit surprised to see some of the negative reviews on this property. We stayed for seven nights and although it wasn't 5-star perfection it was lovely. A few things to mention--
A) It is down a small street that one could mistake for an alley; however we came to find that this "alleyway" had a number of shops, small businesses and another hotel in it. It's incredibly well lit at night and a great shortcut to get to another street with an amazing bakery on it. And a number of posh clothing stores including a Louboutin shoe shop!
B) The "bars" right below the hotel are actually restaurants and had some of the best food and service we experienced the entire trip. Bistro dining people!
C) This is an apartment, not a hotel. When you stay at an apartment you provide yourself with toilet paper, cleaning supplies, etc. I was pleasantly surprised to see that Fred had actually provided SOME of these things for us as that is not the norm. We did have to top up during the stay. (From the supermarket that was about ten feet away from the apt.)
D) The rooms were clean; again if you are expecting five-star-hotel-clean, stay at a hotel.
E) Our washing machine did not work so Fred gave us some money to use the laundry downstairs. A bit inconvenient but a nice gesture from him.
F) It does get a bit noisy from people down at the restaurants and my husband did have trouble sleeping. I did not. It depends on how light a sleeper you are and if those sorts of things bother you.
G) No elevator so if you don't like walking don't stay here. We love walking, it was good exercise. Fred helped us with our bags which was awesome.

All in all the apartment was great, the location incredible (two minutes to the Louvre) and the experience wonderful. Having two supermarkets, three incredible bistros, two bakeries (yum!) and a Velib bike station within 30 seconds of the apartment made us feel like we were living the Paris lifestyle. I would recommend anyone stay at Residence Pelican as long as they can accept imperfection.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2011

My friend and I stayed in the penthouse at Résidence Pélican for the entire month of April, and we are very satisfied with our stay. Some negative reviews are puzzling, but I suppose it depends on one's expectations and the length of your stay. We thought of it as staying at a friend's apartment for a month; when you stay in someone's home, you don't expect it to be totally spotless - this isn't the Hôtel de Crillon. We wanted a two-bedroom apartment with a kitchen in the heart of Paris at a reasonable price, and we absolutely needed a reliable and fast wireless Internet connection and a washer-dryer, and we got all that. This two-floor apartment is modern, has a very private patio, a well-equipped kitchen with many accessories, a large couch, sufficient storage space, lots of windows, comfortable beds, a convenient washroom setup (one toilet, one small room with a shower stall, and a larger bathroom with sink and bathtub) and, for those who like that sort of thing, televisions with many channels. The building is located in a narrow street very close to the Louvre and the Palais Royal, various food and wine shops and restaurants and the subway - an excellent location. As for cleanliness, which several people have mentioned, I would say that the apartment felt "lived in" - not unlike someone's home, nothing that I would find disgusting in any way: a couple of stains on the couch, and such. The kitchen and bathrooms were very clean upon our arrival, and since this was a long-term stay, we didn't mind vacuuming and cleaning ourselves - you can do it the way you like, and you have more privacy than in a hotel room.
Also, it is important to note that the apartment is on the 6th floor (or 5th floor as the French count them) with no elevator - a reasonable level of physical fitness is required. Frédéric was kind enough to take our luggage upstairs upon our arrival.
All in all, we really enjoyed our experience in Frédéric's property.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Peebles Scottish Borders
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2011

We picked this because of the good reviews on trip advisor and we didn't want to stay at a big anonymous hotel. Unfortunately we didn't see the poor reviews until our return.
I should start with the positive- it is in an excellent location and Fred was polite and helpful. Unfortunately that in my opinion does not make up for the negatives. On arrival we were greeted by Fred in a dark and smoke ridden stairwell, he told us the apartment was not ready (which was fine as we were a little early). we were taken up to the apartment where the cleaner was mid clean which led us to believe it would be cleaner on our return. I should note the kitchen area was reasonably clean but it was the floor and upholstery that was disgusting. I had to buy a pair of slippers which I threw away when I left because I would not consider putting my feet on the floor. The sofa bed was broken as were all the so called high tec equipment (coffee maker, Ipod dock etc.), a number of lamps didn't work either because of broken light bulbs or very dodgy looking wiring. The duvet for the sofa bed was disgusting although Fred bought a new duvet , sheets and cover. I was travelling with my mum and it was her first visit to Paris unfortunately it cast a dark shadow on what is otherwise a wonderful city.

• Stayed March 2011

Been to Residence Pelican? Share your experiences!