“gorgeous,well located hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Mathis Elysees

You added Hotel Mathis Elysees to your Saves list
Hotel Mathis Elysees
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3, rue de Ponthieu, 75008 Paris, France (Champs-Elysees)   |
Ranked #1,067 of 1,794 Hotels in Paris
wrexham, north wales
“gorgeous,well located hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2008

Me and my husband stayed here for 2 nights for our first anniversary and loved it, it was in a central location ,a stones throw away from the designer shops along the champ d'elysees. There were plenty of cafe bars in the area to have breakfast or just a coffee. The hotel itself was gorgeous, with luxury furnishings in the rooms and a lovely walk-in shower. We were upgraded to a luxury room because when we arrived our room wasn't ready, but they also gave us the choice to wait for our previous room, but after viewing the 2 rooms the luxury one was bigger, even though the decor in each were to a high standard. The staff were lovely, all in all we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would definately go back

• Liked — The decor and the brilliant location
  • Disliked — nothing!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2008

Booked a room last minute on lastminute.com. I'd been trying to steer clear of a hotel after seeing reviews of some of them. But seeing as this place had decent reviews on here I booked it.

The staff were very nice and helpful and me and my sister were really impressed with the decor of the place. We had room 11 which had a bit of a "non-view" - looking out on a mini "courtyard" to let light into the room. But the room was considered a "standard" and was well decorated and was a decent size especially for Paris. And to be fair when in Paris you're not going to spend the time in your hotel room looking out the window.

I had no complaints whatsoever and would definitely book it again.

Also there was the most fabulous bakery ever a few steps away from the hotel which I'd recommend to anyone planning to stay here.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2008

One of the best room in my life --- if you like "neo baroque" style, just go, and you'll find one of the most stylish hotel in Paris.
I got a super fare (120€), which is not always the case.

For this price, what can i say? The hotel is just perfect. Cool and quied reception desk, maginificient room, each detail is perfect. You just feel good and enjoy the room.

Perfect for lovers.

• Liked — Room - style - bed
  • Disliked — Champs Elysees location...
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chelmsford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2008

We stayed here for 3 nights over the bank holiday. We arrived very tired at about 11pm and were impressed by the room (it only had a shower with a bath but the room was big and the decor was lovely).

THE BAD BIT
Then as we got ready to sleep, the music started. The room was located over the bar and they play loud music until 4am. I complained a few times through the night and asked to move but was told we'd been given a special rate, though there was no mention at the time of booking and looking at the rate on this page i'm not sure it was that special. I recorded the noise and played it back to the manager the next morning. she was shocked but couldn't offer us another room until the last night. She eventually refunded some money, had a word with the bar owner about the noise and said we could move the next day.

THE GREAT BIT
We moved to rm 42. It was large, beautiful AND quiet. The shower room was gorgeous. The hotel location is great and the staff / managers very friendly. They didn't even pretend they couldn't speak english when we complained :o) I'd defintitely stay there again if we could be guaranteed not to get rm 15 (I'm not sure if RM 14 has tha same issue).

• Liked — Decor / comfort
  • Disliked — Noise on the first night
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2008

This hotel is a real gem – I loved every minute of my stay there. Though I love Paris, I wished this hotel was in a less stellar city, so I would feel justified hanging out in my room all day! The building itself is a beautiful late 19th century Haussmann- style cut stone 5-story building. I was given room 53, on the crowning floor. This floor originally would have been the maid’s rooms, under a mansard zinc roof – it is now completely renovated, and all the architectural detailing can only add to its charm. It has a floor to ceiling window with shutters, overlooking a quiet little romantic Parisian street. Each of the 24 rooms is uniquely decorated, and very different from all the others. The owner, a very kind, well-spoken young man, told me that most of the decorative elements are hand–crafted by Syrian or Italian craftsmen. The thorough renovation of the interior decoration is now completed, with very impressive results. My room was painted a deep, rich blue-green, with chocolate/yellow dotted carpeting, gold heavy raw silk curtains and silver night-tables. It is not for the traditionally minded or faint of heart, but to those of us who like creativity and originality are in the right place. You’ll find a very eclectic mix of styles, which may include baroque pieces, Philip Stark creations, original Baccarat lamps, cast iron wall decorations – depending on how lucky you are.
The staff was extremely friendly and helpful, and given the small size of the establishment, after a couple of days one really feels like family. I stayed 5 nights, and my parents joined me for 3 of those – they room was next door to mine, and just as charming.
I did not have breakfast at the hotel – there are at least five wonderful boulangeries in the same street. I personally love Paul, at the intersection with FDR Av. – it’s a chain, but it’s very authentic French patisserie at its best. The modern one just across the street is just as good, though.
Note that on the ground floor of the hotel there is a night club, which is somehow connected to the hotel. I gathered that right now it is one of Paris’s most excusive hot spots – you may bump into all kinds of top-models, actors, and their entourages there. A world-famous designer had a private party scheduled there that week. I did not even try to get in – I didn't feel I had brought the right clothes - you had to dress the part. I assume if you come prepared with the right attire, you may be able to get in. I learned that the art on the walls is all original – so much so that it is even on loan to museum from time to time. Just that would make it worth the visit.
It goes without saying that the location could not be better - seconds away from all of the attractions, and to the metro station. I would go back any time, and I'd recommend it to all of my friends.

• Liked — Original, creative, out of the ordinary, cozy, dream-like
  • Disliked — Nothing - it was all fantastic
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
cambrige
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2008

The hotel was fabulous! It's a 1 minute walk from the Champs-Elysees and minutes from the nearest Metro stop (Franklin D. Roosevelt). We booked the room only and given that there's a boulangerie 20m from the hotel this was the right decision. We recommend the freshly baked croissants and pain-au-chocolat for breakfast.

Our room was a good size with a proper double bed, not 2 singles pushed together. The bathroom was small but had a shower over a bath and all was beautifully appointed. The only slight moan was that the view from our room was awful into a light well infested with pigeon poo , but hey, we didn't go to Paris to stay in our room all day.

Our friends both had rooms which overlooked the quiet street outside with full length windows and when we go back we'll ask for one of these. The rates were very reasonable as well.

• Liked — Price and standard of accommodation
  • Disliked — The view!!
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with friends
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2008

We stayed for 2 nights in this art deco-inspired hotel. Good-sized room (Room 31) with a modern, clean bathroom. The daytime receptionist was courteous and friendly. This hotel is in a great location, just off the Champs-Elysees and close to a few metro stops. I would definitely stay here again.

Be advised that the room rate does not include breakfast, but that there is a bakery and cafe across the hotel. Also, the elevator is quite small and could probably accommodate only 1 person and 1 large suitcase at a time.

Overall, we had a very positive experience during our stay and would recommend this hotel to other travelers.

• Liked — Modern, clean bathroom
  • Disliked — Room had absolutely no view
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hotel Mathis Elysees? Share your experiences!