“Wonderful” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1,544 of 1,794 Hotels in Paris
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Wonderful”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Just what we were looking for. Very close to Gare de Nord and the metro. Walking distance to the centre. Good price. Room is not massive but it was clean and had everything we needed. It was quiet at night and the staff were polite and helpful.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Polish first
New Delhi, India
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2015

No elevators, Rude staff.

I requested them to put an extra bed to which they politely agreed. In a hotel you expect 24 hour service. They out rightly refused to put the bed in the night and fought with me the next day that I came in late and asked for an extra bed.

I had booked it for two days, but I literally ran away from the hotel after the first day.

The neighborhood feels unsafe too.

It is a value for money if you are on a very tight budget, but spend a little more and stay at a better location and a better place. This is more like a hostel.

Room Tip: Don't book rooms with shared toilets
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2015

We stayed for 3 nights in February 2015 (couple aged 28, 30). Had a great time and would stop again.

Room - Very impressed with the value and quality of the room and reception area on ground floor. We were in a comfort room on 5th floor with private bathroom. Room was fresh, warm, clean and modern. Shower room v.large. is quite a hike up the stairs but bearable! TV, lots of french channels, hairdryer in bathroom, powerful shower. Decent size for paris.

Location- 1min stroll away from barbes - rochechouart metro and about a 5 minute walk to the Sacre couer and montmartre. Excellent access to city and 10min walk from gare du nord.Was really worried about the area before we arrived especially after reading reviews on here but we had no problems whatsoever. As with any area in the city, be aware of pickpockets and people trying to rip off tourists (metro tickets, cigarettes etc) but we did not feel intimidated or unsafe at any point getting to/from hotel.we personally had more hassle at the sacre couer with the string people! If you do want the typically quiet,  romantic parisian location,this probably isn't the best hotel as it is a busy area like a UK high st. there are a few people standing outside one side of the metro entrance but area is nowhere near as bad as you will read on Internet searches!! We walked to from montmartre and metro at night 8-10 pm with no worries.

Staff were very helpful and friendly and we were provided with a map and local restaurant recommendations. They also spoke English. For such an affordable hotel, the hotel is a really good standard. You would be paying double for this hotel in london. I'm not sure you can get much better for the price. Hope this helps!

Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
Newport, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2014

Where to even begin.. Me and my partner (23 and 25) arrived here for a 4 day stay, but I wouldn't have stayed here for 4 minutes had I known what it was going to be like. By far the worst hotel (more like a hostel) I've ever stayed in. the room wasn't big enough to swing a cat in, woken by constant building work every morning with drilling and loud noise, the rooms were so close together you could almost hear other guests breathing, gangs outside every night (very intimidating), this hotel is located in the slums of Paris, the area is so rough a shoplifter almost knocked me to the floor before he was pushed through a shop window by police, no English staff, no English tv, no food (only a vending machine in reception), no soap for shower, dirty staircase, was promised champagne on arrival by the hotel as it was my partners birthday - I don't think they even had it in the hotel - this was disappointing..no lift in the hotel so I had to carry 2 cases up 3 flights of stairs, I cannot even think of one good point apart from the free Wifi in the room but even that stayed on for no longer than 10 minutes at a time (watching a film on my iPhone was eventful) Cannot believe some people are rating this hotel high - I'd hate to see where they normally stay! I don't think me or my partner will be returning here or to even Paris again anytime shortly.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms - I booked the "suite" and I've seen bigger laundry cupboards...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Durham, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2014

They are in the process of remodeling all the rooms in this charming little hotel at the base of Montmartre. Walking distance to the Gare du Nord, Barbes Rochechouart Metro, and Sacre Coeur attractions, not to mention great little neighborhood cafes, used bookstores, and boutiques--you could do worse on a budget in Paris. The neighborhood is indeed lively and populated by a diverse collection of immigrant communities, which I think adds to its charm and offers more than your average choices in terms of dining and shopping. The closer you are to the metro the more likely you are to witness questionable after-hours activities, but there is a police station nearby and I never felt unsafe, as the area seems to be patrolled around the clock by gendarmes. No elevator, so you will get some exercise if you are booked into an upstairs room, but the views are lovely from there.

Room Tip: Select one of the newly remodeled rooms, and if you don't mind climbing a few stairs the rooftop...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

We booked a double room through Travelocity and got a 30% reduction. If you're looking to be close to Barbes Rochechouart Metro/Gare du Nord and walking distance to Sacre Coeur and your budget is mid-range this is ideal. Supermarket, pharmacy, fast food nearby and hotel is undergoing total renovation. Only negative was lack of wardrobe space and shared toilet. No issues with the area and I was with a 13 y.o and felt safe. Would stay again at that price.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 5th floor and there's no elevator so ask for 1st floor if you can.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Johannesburg, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

Its not the best but its not the worst. I went with a song and a prayer when I landed in Paris after only reading the reviews a night before.
I arrived to a not so ideal train station (does Paris really have any cute one's except for the Champs Elysees one), the location was not my ideal but it was central! it was Paris!!
The room was cosy but had white linen unlike the other hotels I saw with higher rating (red carpets, green sheets...etc)
I had free wifi the entire time in my room.
This place did its job.

Room Tip: Make sure your choice has a shower and toilet en-suite.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Nation Montmartre? Share your experiences!