“Still my favorite budget hotel in Paris” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Lautrec Opera

You added Hotel Lautrec Opera to your Saves list
Hotel Lautrec Opera
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8-10 rue d'Amboise, 75002 Paris, France (Opera / Bourse)   |
Ranked #896 of 1,794 Hotels in Paris
Colorado Springs
“Still my favorite budget hotel in Paris”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

My daughter and I first stayed in this hotel during the summer of 2002, and while usually I rent an apartment when I am in Paris, over the intervening years I have stayed here every few years when I only needed a night or two. My latest stay since summer 2010 was June 2013. For location, value, cleanliness and basic amenities, this hotel is a very good, basic 2-star hotel. The staff is friendly in a brisk, professional way~ they are not going to treat you as an individual, but will meet your needs as a guest of the hotel. I do not think that the breakfast is a good value~ given the location, you have many much more tasty and less expensive options within a few minutes walk. The free wireless internet is too weak, painfully slow and fluctuating to be good for anything save the simplest internet chores like checking opening times or addresses on basic websites. You can't listen to internet radio or watch video or play games~ but you're in Paris! There was a familiar mild smell of mold in the bathroom that was especially pronounced after showering, but I was impressed this time as I always am with how scrupulously clean the bathroom~ indeed, the entire room~ was. Unless you are paying more than 600 euros a night, Parisian hotel rooms are miniscule~ this is a fact that first-time visitors to the city should know before they come and expect. My room had a decent-sized armoire, but suitcases need to be piled in a corner and will be in the way no matter what. Elevators in older buildings will be small and doubtful about carrying up Americans and their luggage. The beds are very comfortable, and when I was there on a Friday night, an extremely noisy club got silent promptly at midnight. Dozens of transportation options~ metro and bus~ are steps away. The Comédie Française, Palais Royale Gardens, the Louvre and the Opéra Garnier are less than 20 minutes walk away, and food options at all price points abound in the neighborhood. I recommend this hotel to all of my friends and family who need an affordable, dependable, comfortable place to stay in Paris for a few days.

Room Tip: I have never been disappointed with rooms I got at the lowest, non-refundable rate on the website. I...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Newcastle, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

After completing a tour around France, my wife & I had a week in Paris in June 2013. Prior to leaving Australia we booked 5 nights accommodation at Hotel Lautrec Opera. We knew this was not a 5 star hotel but liked its location.We could not be happier with our choice.Its central location was terrific being so close to Metro, La Fayette & Printemps shopping, restaurants and major tourist spots. We arrived at the hotel about 10am and although our room was not available at that early hour we felt secure leaving our luggage with the very understanding staff. On our return to the hotel we found our allocated room to be quite spacious with a wardrobe, comfortable bed and modern en suite. The room was very clean and well serviced each day. Breakfast in the former cellar was very good. While the choice was limited,there were no concerns about the quality &, quantity of that on offer.Don't worry about the small lift, it was fine. Staff could speak English and Nadine & Oliver were terrific. They were so helpful, friendly and ready to offer assistance and advice on any request. Would definitely go back to this hotel and recommend it to friends.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

We had stayed at Hotel Lautrec Opera in Paris a few years ago. Since we liked it so much we went back this year (May) for five days. It has a great location, close to the metro, the breakfast is delicious and simple, and the whole staff extremely friendly and helpful. Importantly, the beds are very comfortable. There are tons of cafes and pastry shops very close by. If we go back to Paris again we will definitely stay at the Hotel Lautrec Opera again! Highly recommended!!

Room Tip: We stayed in the same one both times.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

Can't fault it with the hotel's central location: adjacent to L'Opera Comique, opposite a number of nice cozy restaurants (my personal favorite is Les Noces de Jeanette), and literally 1 minute from metro station Richelieu Drouot. The hotel itself, however, is desperately in need of an update. The lobby exudes old world charm, but the rooms are indeed very small and dated as described by other reviewers. Elevator is also tiny given this is an old building. A 'double' room can barely fit single occupancy, not much room left for luggage. Bathroom is of decent size but only comes with a very small shower cubicle. That being said the rooms and the hotel are generally clean and properly maintained. Room booking comes with continental breakfast in a basement room. Breakfast selection has not changed during my 5-day stay, so I suspect they offer the same items everyday.

Good for solo or business travelers on a short trip to Paris. Definitely not for families or travelers with heavy/bulky luggage.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Norwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

This hotel is ideally located for sightseeing in Paris and is very close to a metro station, a wide variety of bars and restaurants are within easy walking distance which is useful because there is limited onsite catering. Rooms were small, basic and linen/towels changed daily, the shower in our room (22) was excellent. We got a good deal on our rooms through booking.com
The staff were all extremely friendly and very, very helpful - making our stay even easier.
Downsides were the room size (very small), bedroom furniture was outdated and tired, towels hard and a bit tatty. We didn't use the air conditioning unit because it was so noisy. Also, whilst this hotel is on a quiet backstreet there are currently major roadworks going on outside which is quite noisy, although the hotel staff were heard to ask the road menders to keep noise to a minimum whilst guests were still asleep.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Plymouth
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

My daughter and I stayed here for 4 nights and 5 days and it was the worst time of all. I paid 200 euro a night for room 664, worst money ever spent and was non refundable.

My single bed ran across the floor every time I moved, I fixed it with a towel under one of the wheels and the bed was most uncomfortable. Oh the wheels don't lock.

The bathroom was damp and smelled. I fixed this by spraying my perfume over it. The bath plug did not fit the hole, we reported it but it was not fixed in the time we were there. The plug for the sink was broken too.

There are no tea or coffee making facilities in the rooms.

Noisy room over the street...we left the window open the first night of our stay, wanting to soak up Paris, a mistake as there are many many smokers in Paris and all the smoke wafted up from the restaurant a couple of doors down and it was very noisy, so for the rest of the week the window was closed and a/c on!

Breakfast was underwhelming too: tinned fruit, croissants, a couple of varieties of cold meats and cheeses, tea, instant coffee satchels but the water is always luke warm? There was also a couple of varieties of cereals as well as scrambled eggs that were dry and small sausages too....the orange juice is foul.

We have only had a little to do with reception, there was one man that couldn't help us enough, the other man and lady treated us like the plague, hence we didn't go near them...

This is our first trip overseas, so disappointed with this hotel.

Room Tip: We were on the top floor, but from what we ascertained in the poorer paying wing....
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

This hotel was a great place to stay. it located in the quiet back street so after a long day you quietly relax in your room. it was close to the metro, there's many resturants, bars nearby, walking distance from the louvre, when i go back to paris this will be place to go :o)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Lautrec Opera? Share your experiences!