“School Trip!” 1 of 5 stars

30 rue Cabanis, 75014 Paris, France (Montparnasse)   |
Ranked #40 of 118 Specialty lodging in Paris
“School Trip!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

THIS HOTEL IS THE WORSE I HAVE EVER STAYED AT! Since the first day I arrived here, I heard kids running, shouting, slamming, and jumping. Second day I was too pissed off because their noise woke me up in the morning (6, 7am ish). I opened the door and told them to quiet down and they just laughed at me after that I called the receptionist and he had the WORSE attitude ever! He kept on talking French to me when it was obviously that I cannot speak French! After I told him that sorry I don't speak French, he was like this is a French hotel! {--------------------} I'm in Frence=..= and I asked if there's any way that he can make the kids quiet down because we are still sleeping he said no good night bye bye and hung up on me.... What kind of service is this?! The food is not that good either... Sighhh if you like to live in the zoo then this is the BEST place to live at =..=

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

114 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Scarborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

As a hostel I was very surprised at the clientele, not your average backpacker. As the hostel facilities include conference rooms there were numerous business groups, church groups, and a variety of middle aged groups also. I was in a recently refurbished room on the 6th floor. Lovely separate wc and shower room. Fresh and crisp linen and towels. Very comfortable bed. (certainly not the same property as that described by johndoe21) Building work across the street has been completed. 5 minutes walk from the RDR station to CDG Airport, 3 mins walk to Glaciere Metro. Plenty of restaurants in the area. I will certainly return.
Only 1 disappointment.....I could hear the very heavy snorer in the next room..........

Room Tip: In October 2013 the sixth floor has been recently refurbished.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Norwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

It may not be luxurious, but if you want to stay a few days in Paris without breaking the bank, FIAP Jean Monet is right up your alley. It's a hostel, but with added perks, such as two really good breakfast cafes with top quality croissants, jams, and other goodies, and really quite passable coffee. There is a bar downstairs, and the cafes also serve other meals, cafeteria style. The place is popular with overseas university students who come with their tutors to immerse themselves in French in the sub-basement language classes. Don't fret, though. Most seem to be well-behaved, as are the savvy French businessfolk who prefer to spend less on accommodation, saving their euros for a tasty meal instead at nearby Mouffetard; there are a lot of business men and women who stay here! There is also an art gallery on the lower floors with a changing exhibition. The quiet courtyard offers a nice spot for coffee or drinks, or even a picnic. There are several good delis nearby, and a couple of Monoprix super markets, so getting food will not be a problem.

The rooms. Well, you may have to grit your teeth and bear it, but they are 'dorm style' with a multiplicity of bunk beds. Some have two, some have six, others may have even more! Sometimes there are two bathrooms per unit, though all are en suite, as we Brits say. The showers are good, but you must be aware that when you press the 'on' switch, it will cut off after about 40 seconds, and you have to keep pressing it to maintain the water flow.

There is no air conditioning. On a hot day or night, you can request an electric fan from the desk downstairs. There are lifts to take you to the upper floors.

The multi-lingual staff are friendly and courteous and efficient. They will make your stay as pleasant as possible.

The area is convenient. You can walk easily to the Luxembourg Gardens. The nearby metro stops include Denfert-Rouchereaux, beside which the catacombs lie.

Room Tip: If possible, ask for a room on the garden side rather than on the street, though the street is quiet...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I don’t know where to even begin with this place. Paris is an absolutely beautiful city with so many great people but this “hotel” made me resent coming each night of our one month visit. I have been to Europe 5 times and I have never experienced living conditions like this place. This hotel takes pride in being an international place but the service proved otherwise. Only the front desk spoke passable English/Spanish. Every other employee could barely communicate without extensive sign language. The cleaning ladies where very rude and would kick you out of bed to clean the room despite trying explain to them that you don’t want service today or that you would be leaving very shortly. These cleaning ladies actually personally broke my sunglasses and tried denying it even after I explained that they were not broken when I left my room. Even the last day a few people on my trip reported money taken from their baggage.
Another major complaint was the food that they forced you to pay for. French cuisine is supposed to be the best in the world but this place actually made people trip literally sick. The service was awful as usual to the extent they wouldn’t give you food that was edible even after asking the manager for a little more fries so you are not hungry 20 minutes later. The FIAP would serve the same food they would at lunch for dinner without even hiding it! The price for lunch is also almost twice that of dinner as a side note. The food was often times raw. I have pictures of completely raw hamburger meat and another students pork sausage raw to the extent that it was cold when it was clearly not supposed to be. Someone even got food poisoning during their last 2 nights in Paris. The food was usually burnt and was just very bland tasting. Another thing about this dining hall, apparently it is highly discouraged to fill a water bottle up with water from the water tap. A life necessity being denied by a worker in sunglasses resembling an African dictator. A person from my group actually got stuck in an elevator for 20 minutes until another guest stumbled upon him because the emergency button was disabled. As a paying guest it was also unpleasant when there were large groups of early teens running around the halls, slamming doors and having the nerve to call security on us when there were more than one person in our rooms. The only main upside of this place would be the facilities; if you ignored the ants that were present in the rooms and the nonstop noise from the construction across the street and in the hotel itself that wakes you up at 6:30 am. I have traveled almost my entire life and never have I experienced a residence this horrid for the price that we paid. I would NEVER recommend this hotel unless you are spending one night. I highly encourage anyone visiting Paris to do their research and avoid this “hotel” as much as possible.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

Travelling solo, this was an ok option in central Paris. It had everything I needed, apart from wifi in the rooms. Rooms very basic, bit schooly and institutional. A well run hostel. Evening meal was excellent. Laundry room very useful but only 2 washing machines so would be a problem if busy. Nice courtyard garden out the back. I paid £55 for a single room, which was ok. I had a bit of a to-do with the receptionist about finding somewhere safe to store my bike. He said that outside on the street would be completely find. I refused and in the end he relented and let me lock it up in the courtyard. Not overly helpful, I think this is because there are so many people staying there. It is the type of place that has a lot of rules, as lots of school groups stay there. Would stay there again but only if passing through, not for a holiday.

Breakfast very basic, stale cereal, bad coffee etc, but included in the price and convenient.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

FIAP Jean Monnet is conveniently located in the city centre and emulates an average hotel. In my stay, I encountered many people from all over the world. Fortunately for me, there was a conference going on during my stay which was organised by the prominent NGO, ICP (Innovations in Civic Participation).

The rooms are quite spacious and the toilets are in great condition. The showers were the best out of all the hostels I stayed in Paris.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Food was awful, thankfully we had food in our cases. Had a room for seven, no curtains on the showers but the two toilets locked and the bathroom locked. Room had two bunk beds and 3 singles small room and has a damp problem. Also the got rash for the sheets. Also the wifi is awful when there is everyone connected

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Been to FIAP Jean Monnet? Share your experiences!