“July 2013 Stay” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Bridgestreet St. Germain

Bridgestreet St. Germain
You added Bridgestreet St. Germain to your Saves list
Bridgestreet St. Germain
5 Rue de Varenne, 75007 Paris, France (Eiffel Tower / Invalides / Palais-Bourbon)   |
Ranked #63 of 127 Specialty Lodging in Paris
Hong Kong, China
“July 2013 Stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

I booked my stay in St Germain earlier in the year. Given I was on a business trip but my husband and son would be travelling with me I believed this would make an ideal compromises it seemed to tick all the boxes for pleasure and basic business needs. Wifi & close proximity to the office etc.
Closer to the date of travel I needed to contact the company and I checked out the reviews at the same time and noticed that they did not all appear positive, so I contacted the company for reassurance and after reading trip advisor reviews insisted that 3 or 4th floor had to be offered to me for our stay. Luckily I did because the company had assigned 5 th floor to us ( note that I have never seen the 5th floor apartment, just read the comments on line). Bridgestreet assured me everything was what it said on the box, and so commenced our stay.
We arrived very early Sunday morning, the instructions were pretty easy to follow to enter the building, it was easy enough for us to carry our bags up 3 floors, but to be honest. If your not so able bodied and fit this is definitely not the place to bring big suitcases. The stairways are old ( which is a lovely characteristic) and definitely hard to navigate with big bags. You need to be pretty strong to carry them up beyond the first floor.
The apartment upon entering was a disappointment... Someone had clearly forgotten to give it a good clean before our arrival. The sofa was covered in the last guests dirty hand prints, the tables looked liked they hadn't had a cloth on them in days and the dressing room had a pile of dirt that someone had made an attempt to sweep the floor and just left the pile of dirt in one corner. The sink hadn't been emptied from the last guest.. I could go on with the details. I called the helpline only to be told that its Sunday and they can't help. So basically the helpline is useless which infuriated us further. In the end I went out and purchased cleaning products and cleaned the place myself before settling in.
I wrote a strong email to the company, including images of all the issues ( broken shelves in closet, curtain rail hanging on with gaffer tape) and surprisingly I didn't receive a reply until Tuesday;which questioned the sincerity of my complaints ( which was even more surprising given that I had provided images !). No one ever apologized, though they did send someone to clean the apartment on Wednesday.
We stayed in St. Germain Bridgestreet for 7 nights. The location is good, the area is lovely and very safe. Close to a number of sights , Louvre and Notre Dame, with plenty of restaurants on the doorstep, including a couple of good supermarkets to make use of the self catering facilities ( note the restaurants tend to be quite pricey in this area especially on the main streets, 10 euros for a beer, 9.00 euros for a Sml wine) . IF you receive a clean apartment on arrival, I would say that the overall apartment is compact ( 4 persons would be a max) authentic Parisian style, comfortable decor and overall quite a pretty apartment. Bare in mind that the apartment has no air conditioning or fan - we arrived in the height of summer, it made it unbearable to sleep without the windows wide open or in the bedroom at all. The first night was a shock for us, and I barely slept at all due to fear of being broken into having the windows wide open and the noise from the street. But it seems, all the Parisians sleep like this.. We slowly adjusted.
The kitchen is upto standard, with a good size fridge. Though the bar stools were wobbly and one was broken so we never used the breakfast bar. The sofa bed was super easy to use and very comfortable. Remember to bring or buy basics like toilet rolls, bin liners, and cleaning products if you planning to eat and cook inside. Bridgestreet do not provide these basics.
The wifi never worked - and my suggestion would be to sort out a second key at the time of booking.
This apartment is a lower cost alternative to a hotel with no frills.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed on the fourth floor. The light in the stairway was not working so it was a bit difficult to navigate up the stairs but this was fixed while we were there. Make sure you bring luggage which you can carry upstairs as there is no lift.

The apartment itself was very clean with all the facilities you would require including free wifi. It was also a good size for Paris standards. The shower was a bit tempremental but nothing too bad. We were warned that if the hot water ran out that we would have to wait until the next day for more hot water. However we never experienced this and there were 4 adults staying there.

The bathroom is only accessible through the main bedroom which is slightly inconvenient, however it was very reasonable for St Germain so we were happy to overlook this. 2 of us slept on the sleeper couch which was very comfortable.

The apartment is located very close to a metro which means it's very easy to get to. I can definitely recommend the apartment if you are looking for reasonable, clean, comfortable accommodation in St Germain (a difficult thing to find).

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2011

My partner and I stayed in room 301 during September 2011. We really liked the place. I was concerned by some poor reviews I had read but it looks like we got really lucky. Seems that people have trouble with room 501. There is only one room per level so 501 really just means the apartment on the fifth level. There is no lift but that made no difference to us. Location is fantastic with metros near by. Initially had some trouble getting in because were given the wrong access code but rang them and got is sorted immediately. The room was clean and the bed comfortable. There was a little welcome pack of snacks and tea/coffee bags that was much appreciated. I loved not having a reception and that it was self-serviced. Next time I am in Paris I will certainly stay there again and recommend it to friends but it seems I need to encourage them to specify wanting level 2 or 3 or something like that.

Room Tip: Avoid room 501, ask for 201 or 301. There is only one room per level.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Leeds, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2009

We stayed in apartment 401 with 2 older children and found it well equipped, clean and tidy. The sofa bed was already made up on arrival which was greatly appreciated and although the apartment was quite small, we had enough room to all sit at the breakfast bar & eat together. The kitchen was modern and well equipped - the dishwasher particularly appreciated! We had a little trouble with using the TV but then couldn't find any English speaking channels anyway so didn't really use it.

The bathroom could only be accessed from the bedroom & as the children were sleeping on the sofa bed in the lounge this was a little inconvenient at times in the night but not a problem for a short stay.

Instructions received from Bridgestreet for accessing the apartment were easy to follow and the nearest Metro station is only 2 mins walk (station is Sevres-Babylone on line 12 & 10) so a great location with plenty of shops & bars nearby. There's a little Aladdin's cave of a grocery store approx 1 min walk away just off Boulavard Rasphail which was really useful for stocking up on milk, bread etc.

Steps up to the apartment were a slog as there's no lift but not a major problem if you only have small suitcases. As the apartment had to be vacated by 11:00am & our flight wasn't until late at night, I emailed Bridgestreet and was kindly informed that we could leave our luggage at their offices at 10 Ave de Franklin Roosevelt (just off Champs Elysees) until 6:00pm which was a great help. BEWARE: Ave de Franklin Roosevelt crosses over the Champs Elysees and we ended up walking for ages in the wrong direction. Looking up the Champs Elysees towards the Arc De Triompe, 10 Ave de Franklin Roosevelt is on the road extending to the right. The staff in the office (Olivier in particular) were extremely kind and helpful.

I would definately recommend staying at this apartment.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2009

Like the previous writer we were appointed apartment 501. The web site does not mention that there is no lift and the apartment was an arduous climb after a hot day of sightseeing. Photos showed a modern bathroom with toilet not the small hand held shower and toilet in a cupboard ten stairs down that was tricky at night. The basin and tap in the toilet downstairs looked like something from early last century and you could not wash your hands without spraying water all over the toilet. Our bedroom was also very basic not as nice as the photo suggested. The kitchen was so small that I had trouble opening the detergent holder for the washing machine as it bumped the cupboard. I ended up putting soap powder directly into the machine. The air conditioning would stop putting out cool air after twenty minutes. As there was temps over 30 degrees C every day we felt a little cool air would have been nice. On arrival we were very disappointed as we had decidied to pay extra for a "luxury" apartment. I wish I had complained like the previous writer but as we had booked and preapid though an Australian agent did not think that anything could be done.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Atlanta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2009

My spouse has used Bridgestreet in Europe for business trips with great success, but it was with great trepidation that we booked this location after reading the other post. We were lucky to get an apartment as scheduled. Initially, they gave us the top floor (5). The building has a difficult, circular staircase with no elevator, so request a lower floor if needed. It appeared that all 5 units were Bridgestreet. We started in 501, which you open to see a toilet in a tiny closet (totally claustrophobic), and then even more stairs into the apartment. There was too much furniture for the small space, and the bedroom was not as pictured on the website (very barren). The bathroom was up a large step up and only had a handheld shower (not as pictured on website). We complained and moved to 401 the next day, which was much nicer and closer to the photos on the website.
The apartments are quite small, but still better than a hotel room. 401 had a great shower with the multiple shower heads. We had a discounted rate, so I was very happy with it. The location is fantastic, in a great neighborhood. Le Bon Marche's great food hall came in very handy, and Lux Gardens are an easy walk. I was the 17th last time I visited Paris, and much preferred this location.
The internet access went down often, which was a huge pain, but we think it was provider (just shut off the box and restart it). The washer/dryer is all in one and ventless, which leaves clothes very wrinkled. The air conditioning is this wierd, large box you drag along the floor, and you have to stick the vent out the window. Very odd.
So while the apartment is smaller than expected, not as luxurious as the photos show, has many difficult stairs to climb, I considered it a good value. The mattress was the equivalent of a queen and very comfortable. Bridgestreet did leave us a goody bag with a bottle of champagne upon checkin, which I thought was a great touch. I think I would stay there again--would just not take 501. And fyi--when we moved to 401, the staff was moving out a pack and play and a high chair from the previous guests. I guess they offer those items to guests, which is nice.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Boston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2009

Beware. Others had warned us on Trip Advisor but we did not pay attention. We booked one month before for two rooms. Three days before departure we were informed by email that the 'cold weather had blocked the water to our rooms' and that we had been transferred from the St. Germain to their property across town. Had this not happened to others we might have been believers. Their St. Honore property was not recommended by TripAdvisor. We asked for an alternative close to the St. Germain and they cancelled our two rooms. In the U.S. this is called 'bait and switch' and is of interest to the States Attorneys General. I am not certain what it is called in France. Beware.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Bridgestreet St. Germain? Share your experiences!