“Mmm... s'ok” 3 of 5 stars
Review of St Christopher's Canal Paris

You added St Christopher's Canal Paris to your Saves list
St Christopher's Canal Paris
159 Rue Crimee | 68-74 Quai de la Seine, 75019 Paris, France (Buttes Chaumont / La Villette)   |
Ranked #23 of 127 Specialty Lodging in Paris
edmonton
“Mmm... s'ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

It was okay... the thing that I enjoy about St Christophers hostels are that they are all the same so you know what you're getting into if you have already stayed at a location in a different city. I also like how you get drapes on your bunk with individual lights and plug ins so you have a feeling of privacy... what I didn't like was how horrible the girls washroom smelt. I never wanted to use them because they just stunk... I felt they weren't cleaned enough. The sink in our room was plugged and even though someone came in and started to run the water and said yea its plugged, nothing was done about it and I was there for 4 days... The bar attached is always a good idea but some of the staff were either rude or didn't know much about the menu... the location was also a bit sketchy... Ladies do not walk around after a certain time outside as you are sure to get unwanted male attention.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Bangor, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

I arrived in my dorm to find everybody being searched by the hostel staff. £200 had been stolen. The staff said they have issues with people walking in off the street and following people into the elevator (it only works with your key card but easy to follow others therefore not need one) then gaining access to rooms and stealing. The problem seems to be that the downstairs is a busy bar and open to the public. I had a terrible stay. The staff were rude and the whole place badly run. I'll never stay in a st Christopher's again.

• Stayed September 2012
Oxford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

The hostel isn't in a great location but it is near 4 metro stops so you're fine if you use that.
On the whole the hostel is good - staff are friendly, as our other guests, and stuff was relatively clean - could have been cleaner. However, there were many smal issues which made the experience far from perfect:
- We were on the top floor and therefore got no wifi on our devices as it doesn't reach that far.
- The shower is not adjustable and is about 6ft high only, so unless you are short you have to crouch or sit to wash your hair.
- We received vouchers for 25% off food in Belushis (the meal we had in the evening was great and good value with discount - croque madame for about 6 or 7 euros - but we were only told that the discount didn't apply to cooked breakfast as we were paying (the voucher just said 25& off all food - very misleading).
- The luggage storage downstairs is not free, contrary to what the hostelworld description says.
- The cleaners took half of a cake we had left in our room (it could only have been them as there was no one else in our room (5 of us) and when we complained nothing was done.
- There was never any toilet paper in the downstairs communal toilet.
- Many small things costed money when we expected them to be free. It was all these add ons and extras, in conjunction with small faults mentioned above, that made us feel that our stay wasn't quite worth the money. Decent nonetheless.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
sacramento
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

My sister and I travelled to Paris for Christmas one year and stayed at St. Christophers. The hostel is located in a cute neighborhood and we always feel safe. It is a little further out from the city center than most would care for, but it only took about 10 minutes on the metro to get to the sites. The beds were clean, the water was warm and the service was good. I would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012 via mobile

We stayed in this hostel in a private room for 3 nights, there were both positives and negatives of our experience. The positives are the room was nice with a good view over the canal, the bar was a good place for a drink and to meet people, the room was clean and towels were provided. On the negative side the hostel is quite far from Paris and having to get two jam packed trains isn't very pleasant. The area isn't particularly nice and we were cautioned to look out for gypsies with our bags while leaving the hostel. The restaurant part of the bar is ran very badly, we went up to ask if we could order food and they told us to sit down and they would come over, 10mins later the girl came over and took our order but never asked for money or gave us a bill so then you have to find the girl again to pay because you can't pay at the bar, very frustrating! Other travelers also were complaining of the service. Overall it was an ok stay but next time I will look a bit closer to Paris.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

This hostel was clean, comfortable and safe. The free breakfasts in the morning were great, the bread is sooo good, and the staff are always up for a chat. I stayed in a mixed room and everyone was really friendly, would definately reccommend shared rooms.

Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

So, my husband and I stayed in Paris for 5 nights and wanted somewhere budget for the first few nights and then planned on splurging for the last two to cap off our European tour. Where do I begin? Let's start with the positives - we had a private double and the room was a decent size and the bedding was clean. The hostel was located close to two convenient metro stops and was located on a nice waterfront. Security is good - you have to have a room key to access any floor by elevator and there seemed to always be someone at the front desk.
Now, the not so positives. The hostel stunk. Literally. Like the bathroom. I don't know about any of the other floors but the 5th floor hallway smelled as soon as you left your room or stepped off the elevator. The free breakfast is what you would expect from a hostel - bread with butter/jam/nutella, cornflakes, bad coffee & even worse "juice" - what made it even worser, so worser that I have no other word than worser, is that the plates and cups and mugs were always wet and dirty.
One of the main things a traveller looks for these days is the free wifi and for obvious reasons. Needless to say, the wifi doesn't really reach your room, which is fine. It's a hostel. But when you sit in their internet room with your own computer (they have computers where you can pay to use their internet) and they block the signal so you HAVE to pay?!? That's cheap.
And finally, the electricity in our room didn't work. This happened one day when a busload of girls were checking in so the guy at the front desk said he would look into it after checking them in. Two hours later, when I went down to ask again the guy told his coworker to go fix it and when he thought I wasn't looking, made like I was making a big fuss and mocked me, came back to the desk and didn't look at me so I just waited because he didn't give me any indication that the situation was going to get fixed, and after a minute looked at me like I was an idiot and told me I was supposed to go with the other guy.
Now, this was just one guy. All the other people working at the hostel were very nice. But, man, I wanted to punch this guy in the nose so badly for how absolutely and unnecessarily mean and rude he was.

Room Tip: We had a room over the front entrance/bar area and even with earplugs it was very noisy.