“Just lucky” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Aigle Noir Hotel

You added Aigle Noir Hotel to your Saves list
Aigle Noir Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   27 Place Napoleon Bonaparte | BP 100, 77300 Fontainebleau, France   |
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Fontainebleau
Geneva
“Just lucky”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Visiting the region for professional reasons, we, originally, were looking for hotels in Bois-Le-Rois (about 10 km from Fontainbleau), however, since all the hotels there were fully booked we opted for the Aigle Noir, which, by pure luck, had a couple of rooms still available for the weekend. While booking a standard double, I've asked for an additional bed for our 5 yo. Much to our surprise we were actually freely upgraded to a suite, where there was a master bedroom, plus an extra bed in the living area. As we've arrived by car, the parking was important to us, and we were quite satisfied with the underground parking right in front of the hotel, at €12/day it seemed expensive at first, however, since the hotel is in the very center of tourist zone in Fontainebleau, where it's impossible to park, the price seems reasonable. Our room was spacious, with a great AC, which we appreciated, since it was boiling hot outside. Our room didn't have a bath, although we didn't mind - a modern shower quite fulfilled our needs. It's a shame that the hotel doesn't have a restaurant, and the room service snacks are a disaster, however, the restaurants next door are more than willing to offer take away to Aigle Noir's clients. They deliver any dish on the menu to the hotel for you, we were delighted. The hotel staff was very collaborative and eager to help. All in all, a great hotel, even though we were supposed to book 10 km away. After 2 days of being a good boy and walking around castles and the huge gardens, my 5 yo rebelled, so I took him to the TY'BAMBOO, which is a little amusement park about 20 minutes away from Fontainebleau.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Cairo, Egypt
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Very nice traditional and classic hotel in a great location. Friendly staff and a nice breakfast. Management very present and approachable but one week with no nternet access is unacceptable when there for business. Every evening was spent on the terrace of the IBIS hotel using their Internet! Highly recommended for tourists but not for business.

• Stayed June 2013
Washington, DC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

This is not a four star hotel thought they charge at that level. Based on condition of the property, staff attitude, services and cost, it has no claim on that designation. It isn’t even clear that it is aspiring to that status only that it might once have been at that level and wants to pretend that it is still there.

First: the good. In spite of my criticism of this hotel, our room was charming, clean and lovely. We hired a suite on the first floor with views into the courtyard and of the Chateau Fontainebleau. We had two large rooms – a bedroom and a sitting room – the walls were covered in cotton toile on batting, the furniture was nice and the bed was reasonably comfortable. The bathroom was huge with both a tub and a separate shower.

Given some of the other issues, the quaint charm and good condition of the bedroom was something of a shock – almost made the stay acceptable. In addition, the building from the street is very attractive. The lobby is neat and clean with a nice sitting area. There is a nice courtyard with tables where guests could enjoy a nice afternoon cup of coffee or glass of wine weather permitting.

However, there are problems – and they begin with arrival. After driving all day from Burgundy, I arrived at the hotel to find there was no way (that I understood) to get my car close enough to the hotel to conveniently unload bags. The space in front of the hotel is a pedestrian walkway and the day I arrived there was some sort of fair art exhibit going on. Hotel parking is in the municipal lot where I went after letting my wife out to seek help from the clerks.

There was one clerk on duty and her advice – as she couldn’t leave the desk and didn’t seem to have any help – was to unload and haul our luggage ourselves from the municipal parking lot. We did. But this is not acceptable for a four star hotel charging nearly $400 a night for a room. I later found out that people do indeed drive on the sidewalk to get close to the hotel (though this doesn’t solve the issue of lack of bell-staff to help) and it would have been nice to include those instructions in our confirmation. When my displeasure at having to haul my own luggage was made known to the clerk, she seemed baffled at best but mostly indifferent.

Next, the common spaces – halls and stairways – were dark and seemed unkempt and the hall outside our room in particular smelled funny. Moldings were cracked or missing – but not in that “it’s under repair now” sort of way, rather in “we’ll get to it someday” sort of way.

As said, we liked our room, however there were some problems. First, air conditioning that the hotel says it has. Maybe. It certainly didn’t seem to work for us. Now, I realize that the French don’t do air conditioning well but without it the room could become very problematic. For one, it fronted the street plaza/fair I mentioned. So, if you want to limit noise and keep the air cool and it is a warm day, you’re going to have to keep your window open. The room would have been particularly stifling in a hot month – like June, July or August. Otherwise as the night was cool enough to eventually close the window, we slept alright.

To try and limit light from the street and keep the window open, my wife tried shutting some metal shutters. They were rusted and not very functional and my wife hurt herself in the effort – tetanus is something you generally don’t want to get while visiting France.

Next, the beautiful bathroom had some issues. It has a lot of polished marble which is like a skating-rink when wet. The only bathmats were two smallish cotton mats. When my wife got out of a bath, she slipped and fell and could have severely hurt herself (getting out of the shower was just as precarious). They need bigger mats that will not slide on a wet floor to use with both the bath ans shower. When we raised the fact that my wife had fallen and that more or bigger mats were needed with the staff we were again met with stares of indifference or incomprehension.

On a smaller scale, the temperature control nob in the shower came off and there was a plastic drain cover over the drain that kept getting knocked out of place (if it had ever been fastened down). Finally, the towels were threadbare and had holes. Not four star amenities, potentially quite dangerous and it begs the question: if you’re going to make the room so lovely and charming, why not do it right? Did they run out of money?

The breakfast, while adequate but nothing special and hardly merited the price. The business center would have been marginally functional in 1999. The printer did not work and it took us a long time to print out boarding passes, ultimately relying on the printer in the manager’s office.

This could be a lovely place and it has much going for it if they could only get their act together and also take some steps to correct serious dangers in the bathrooms.

Room Tip: Look at the room before you check-in, it isn't clear to me that they are all updated or in good...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
british columbia, canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Reasonably sized room and a good quality breakfast.
Staff very helpful for all things - even went out of their way to help print online tickets.
Price quoted included breakfast and entry to Vaux de Vicomte which is well worth seeing.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

This hotel more than lived up to our expectations - especially for the price. Staff really went out of their way to look after us and suggest where to go/where to eat etc. Buffet breakfast was a treat (especially as staff didn't clear it away until well past 11am & didn't make us feel rushed, even then), with a lot more variety than most (the Haribos were a bonus, we had to resist temptation not to fill our pockets). The Hediard deli is a bonus.

Room Tip: Try to get one at the front, so you can try to glimpse chateau through the trees
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Houston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

This hotel is very conveniently located, directly next to Chateau de Fontainebnleau. There is underground parking, just across the street and a decent breakfast buffet. Our room was a nice size and the rate was reasonable.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Huntington, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

If Fontainebleu was a "Chateau," I will eat my hat! Whatever...I needed a rest after merely scratching the surface of this royal residence, and remembered what I had seen on the way into town - the Hotel Aigle Noir. So, I wandered back there and took in what I considered to be a charmingly furnished lobby and terrace. Furnished in Empire style, I toyed with the idea of staying for a night, but I decided Parisian accomodations had the meter running and would head back...
Not before, however, checking out the attached Hediard outpost in the hotel. This was just what the doctor - or King!- ordered: Delicacies and wine up to Hediard's sniffy standards and a charming patio on which to cool my tripped-out feet. Charming sales gal/waitress let me sample wines from a cruivinet (never sure what to call this thing that preserves wine) before I ordered a white blanc de blancs, crisp and rejuvenating. She treated me as if I were royalty, accomodating my requests for water, etc., with a smile.
Though the "Chateau" offered much to stimulate my sense of history, and I will return to see it again, perhaps armed with a better idea of the background of this wonderful "pile," it is this respite that I welcomed before boarding the bus back to Paris that I also remember. I would stay at this little hotel and use it as a jumping-off point for future forays into the French countryside.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Been to Aigle Noir Hotel? Share your experiences!