“Exceptional - reasonably priced and fantastic flavour” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Le Gaulois

Le Gaulois
2 Place Drouet d'Erlon, 51100 Reims, France (Centre Erlon-Est)
03 26 47 35 76‎
Improve this listing
Ranked #119 of 299 Restaurants in Reims
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Centre Erlon-Est
Description: French cafe/restaurant
Sao Paulo, SP
“Exceptional - reasonably priced and fantastic flavour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

My wife and I enjoyed our first lunch of what is a 3-week trip around Western Europe for our anniversary in this establishment. The restaurant is located on a square on a street called Place Drouet d'Erlon with many other restaurants, brasseries and bars. We decided on this place as we saw many locals heading in there and it was busy whereas other neighbouring properties were quiet on the Sunday we were enjoying the sights of this beautiful little town.

We decided on the plat du jour, with myself having the starter and my wife having the dessert of the day, in addition to us both having mains. My starter was pate with pickles and was absolutely amazing. I love pate and know a good one when I taste it so I likely became a little annoying for our waiter as I took my time to savour it. As soon as I cleared the plate, it was only another couple minutes for the mains to come, and was akin to beef wellington. The jous was richly flavoured, and again was simply sensational. My wife and I both cleared our dishes completely but I have to say the portions were also very generous for a 'plat du jour' in France where portion sizes are often on the small side. My wife finished with a chocolate mousse which was deep in flavour after having a spoonful (or two) of it.

Our bill came to €45 which is mighty impressive for 2 beers, 2 glasses of wine, 1 starter, 2 mains and 1 dessert (albeit all dishes of the day). Although we will want to try other establishments in Reims, I would like to take this opportunity to advise people how fantastic this little restaurant is.

• Visited May 2013

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Outstanding Lunch Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Le Gaulois is a busy restaurant on the lower end of a square (Place d'Erlon, I think) which is replete with food and drink establishments. For one reason or another, this receives uneven reviews, perhaps, negative reviews unfairly. We visited Le Gaulois on a weekday in March and found it full of locals enjoying their lunches. Perhaps, a very few tourists, like us, as well. On arriving, we had some concerns about the busy staff locating a table for four adults and a sleeping infant in a stroller. The restaurant was full and weather did not permit outdoor seating. Not a problem. The staff was welcoming and so very helpful, especially our server. Three us opted for the plat du jour, pork fillets finished with a mustard pan sauce and served with Dauphinoise potatoes and dressed greens. One of our party chose a main dish salad. All of the offerings were outstanding. With a large beer, a couple of soft drinks and a bottled water, our lunch check was €55. Frankly, this is the kind of place I enjoy visiting when I travel. Ignore the negative reviews, and, if you're in Reims, give this delightful restaurant a shot. You will not regret it.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Hertfordshire
“Great atmosphere, great food.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

On a weekend away with friends we chose to eat here as it was buzzing with people and staff..... always a good sign if locals are in. The food was excellent - huge plates of salad at good prices. Service was excellent, all the staff were friendly and efficient - nothing was too much trouble.
In fact we enjoyed it so much that on our second evening in Reims we looked at several other places to eat but went back to the Gaulois and enjoyed a ourselves just as much again.

• Visited April 2013
Schenectady, New York
“The worst meal in my thirty years in France”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Le Gaulois stands out as the single worst meal of a lifetime in France, and that includes years of visits and thousands of meals.

The country pate was just fine, then came the awful chicken over a tired puff pastry and flabby tasteless sauce. My friend had an equally lousy mussels. In fact they were tasteless and her introduction to France.

A very poor one.

Probably any other restaurant would have been better.

DON'T eat here is my recommendation.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Great lunch!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

This place was great! It was located in a prime tourist location but the food and service were great. There were also several French people that appeared to be dining there which was a good sign. We had the Croque Monsieur sandwich; it was a huge portion and so delicious. All of the food around us looked great. I hope to be back someday!

• Visited December 2012