“Very good traditional cuisine” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Pretoria
“Very good traditional cuisine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

Again, don't be put off by the exterior - inside is a beautiful 30 seater (must book) little restaurant. You only see the chef behind a curtain in the kitchen however his food is excellent. Try the 3 course menu which has a good choice with excellent portions and the food is really good. His creme brûlée is a must. Service is ok whilst the ablutions are shared with an adjoining establishment. Still worth a visit just for the food.

Visited September 2013

Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Tasty and cosy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Lovely food, although quite pricey. A good range of options on the menu, with some interesting options you won't find elsewhere.

Visited September 2013
“Easy to walk past but certainly worth stopping for!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

If you were in the uk you would walk on by. However, beyond the dated net curtains is a marvellous small restaurant. The fixed price menus are simply superb, excellent quality of food and appropriate French style quantity in each course. Would advise booking although we were lucky with a no show.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Yalding, Maidstone, United Kingdom
“Would have been great but for the end...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

I booked this restaurant by email many weeks before I went on August 24. It was a surprise trip to Epernay for my wife, and friends came on the second day.

I arrived at the restaurant in advance, Firstly, I told the chap at the front that I'd reserved (in French) and was greeted with a very terse, 'we're full'. That didn't bode well. 'No, I've reserved,' I countered, and he checked and yes, found my booking. I was led to a back room to wait for my wife and friends.

The food was excellent, really, and the service at table adequate. The prices weren't bad either, so I was happy with my choice. We had a good evening - till we tried to leave.

The lady at the front looked at my credit card and said, in French, 'Sorry, the machine's not working'. She pointed to a scrawl on the door, barely visible in amongst the Visa and Mastercard signs, that said so, and said, 'you should have checked'. She didn't offer any alternative, just stated the bald facts.

Now I am very placid normally but I was increasingly alarmed. 'I booked this restaurant weeks ago. Nobody told me I couldn't use a credit card. What am I supposed to do?' I think she may not have expected me to speak fluent French. A debate followed, during which I explained we would obviously have to withdraw cash from the till and it would cost us. Could I therefore have a discount? 'I'm not sure about that'. My friends, who were helping to pay, trotted off to the cash point while I continued arguing. We had no choice.

'It's the responsibility of the house, not the customers,' I continued. Now the front of the restaurant is a small area and the whole thing would have been noticeable. The place was packed and I cannot imagine the lady wouldn't be playing out this scenario several times that night. She just shrugged.

Not once did she say sorry, not really, beyond the 'I'm sorry, but...' nuance. She finally gave us a 2% discount for the cash withdrawal. One of my friends said after, 'that left a bad taste in the mouth'. How true. And how unnecessary.

Generally, I'm sure if you go there, you won't have this issue, and you'll have a great meal. But personally, I wouldn't go back there because of the way I, my wife and my friends were treated, all because because their one and only credit card machine didn't work.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Shepparton, Australia
“True French food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Visited last night and were very impressed. 3 people had the salmon and while it is not a huge meal everyone raved about it. It was a good portion size. I had the chicken casserole which was presented completely differently to how I pictured it, but I really liked it. It was a huge meal which I could not finish. We all had crime brûlée and everyone loved it. Service excellent. Well done.

Visited August 2013