We were very disappointed by Royal Champagne and are unable to recommend it to anyone. We were staying in one of the rooms overlooking the valley which was lovely. It was spacious with a generous sized bed and a large shower and bath. Sadly the room was the only good part of our stay.
We felt that breakfast was very expensive for what it was and be warned to check your bill - we were charged for a champagne breakfast despite not drinking the champagne!
The main disappointment was however dinner. We booked a table for 7.30 and arrived 5 minutes before. The lounge was very busy and we were seated with a glass of champagne and a menu - so far so good. Unfortunately we were then forgotten. Everyone was seated and after 40 minutes we went to find someone to then be seated. We were the last to be seated in the main restaurant and were given the smallest table. We were then ignored again. No-one offered us water, bread, wine or took our order for another 20 minutes. When a waiter finally came over we ordered the tasting menu. It was about 5 courses which seemed about right. Sadly what we were given was approximately 10 courses and all were full size! It was a complete ordeal. The only highlights were the wine that was matched to each course and the pudding - a champagne souffle. We eventually finished our meal at 11.30 which was far too late after a long day sightseeing. All in all a very long, large and expensive meal.
When we next stay in Champagne we will choose a much smaller and friendlier hotel in either Epernay or Reims where we are not a captive audience for a ridiculous chef.
p.s. we reviewed this hotel through the hotel website and they promised the reivew would be placed on tripadvisor - no such luck!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Land of Champagne and of the king of France has given its name to our Hotel, a historical and authentic house, surrounded by some of the most prestigious French vineyards. Your stay among us will be full of a thousand and one daily delights:champagne tasting, dinner in our gastronomic restaurant, visits to local champagne cellars, excursions to Reims and Epernay... ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Sabre Hospitality Solutions, Priceline, Expedia and Travelocity so you can book your Royal Champagne reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Royal Champagne Hotel Epernay
- Royal Champagne Épernay
- Royal Champagne Hotel Épernay
- Royal Champagne Epernay, France - Champagne-Ardenne