“Hugely overrated” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 76 Hotels in Tours
Izmir, Turkey
“Hugely overrated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2009

After reading all these positive views I booked this hotel for one night while I was visiting the Loire valley with my mother. My stay was well below my expectations. The hotel is located on a busy road. Although most of the rooms are facing the backyard, at night you can clearly hear traffic noise (even with earplugs). The reception is clean and modern, the receptionist was a nice but very laid-back guy. The pillows were very soft, so I asked for an extra pillow, he told me no worries, but he forgot to send them in the room. As I arrived the hotel after the reception was closed (11 pm) I did not have any extra pillows. When I reminded this to the new receptionist in the morning, she did not even feel obliged to say sorry. She did not care. Room was very simple with no air-conditioning (and in August it is very hot, it was 35 degrees when we were there). There was a wifi but I did not use, so cannot comment. Breakfast is served in a nice terrace, but it is also very simple with small variety of choices. It is not included in the rate. It finishes at 10 am, so if you wake up late, be careful. There is free public parking on front of the hotel, so it was nice. The location of the hotel is not great, as it is a walking distance of more than 20 minutes to main attractions (which is a lot in a small city like Tours). Finally, I would not really say it is value-for-money, as you add up breakfast to the rates it is not the cheapest place you could stay for what they offer.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Galway, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2009

Am increasingly impressed with this Citotel chain in France and Criden is no exception. They all strike me as older hotels getting trendy modern overhauls and Criden is a work in progress. Small, personable, family owned and operated seem to characterise this chain and the private parking, central location and helpful staff here in Tours fit the bill. Whioe our room was a little tired, the ensuite was recenty renovated and impressive and the hotel certainly feels like it's on the up - would definately recommend it for a short stay in Tours.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2009

After one hour of searching a good hotel and not too expensive in Tours, we already almost gave up, we luckily found this hotel. Compared to the other hotels in the same category in Tours this hotel is really a treasure. The hotel is renovated, clean and the rooms are spacious with a little balcony. And the price is great too for what you get. I would love to come back.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Toledo, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2008

My husband and I only stayed two nights at the Criden, and wanted to be close to the train station and the tourism office (where Loire Valley chateaux tours meet) - it was a great location! The hotel is on a busy (but lovely tree-lined) road with not much of a view, but for a short trip it was perfect. The walk into the main (touristy) part of the city was only about 10 minutes.
Check-in was easy, there is an elevator in the hotel (thank goodness!),
The room was very well-lit since one entire wall is sliding glass doors (with a small balcony), instead of just one window. The balcony isn't much to look at, but its great to be able to step outside and watch the street below. The bathroom is great! Very modern and cool, I thought.
The Wi-Fi was maddening.... it only came through every so often.
Never had the breakfast, but the breakfast area looked nice. The website is great - do check it out for more information. 'criden-tours.com'

I loved Tours! The cathedral lit up at night is just so beautiful and peaceful. The ice cream shop in the old/picturesque area of town (Place Plum) is probably the BEST ice cream in the world. Make sure to stop there!
Had a great chateaux day tour through Alienor.

• Liked — Convenient location for touring, great (American-style?) hotel conveniences
  • Disliked — Spotty Wi-Fi was maddening.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
leicester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2008

We looked for a Hotel with two rooms to stop over for one night on our way back to the ferry port of Calais from our home near Carcassonne. I was attracted to this Hotel by the positive on-line reviews that I read before booking.
All I can say is that the very positive reviews that I read hardly did justice to our experience at the Criden Hotel. First of all, booking in and checking out was a pleasure, staff were courteous and quite amicable to persevering with my stumbling French ability or switching to English if I prefered. The rooms were excellent, clean, spacious and with a good view over the Boulevard. If as we did you leave your sliding door to the balcony open overnight, then the noise from the traffic will ensure that you get an early start the following day. An excellent shower facility and a modern flat screen TV rounded out an overall good value for money experience. The petit dejeuner was as good as I can remember in an overnight stop and at €7 is a bargain. Lastly location. Across the street you have immediate access to the narrow streets, pavement cafes, the Cathedral and the river which are at the heart of Tours and just around the corner is the Gare with SNCF and TGV. We would definitely go back to the Criden in preference to many of the more popular franchise hotels that we have used in the past and which enjoy 3* ratings rather than the 2* which the Criden enjoys.

• Liked — Location, Value for money
  • Disliked — lack of air conditioning
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Rome
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2008

The management of the Criden is rude and bookings are unreliable.

I was in Tours for an important conference, booked into the Criden. When I arrived around lunchtime a very rude and haughty girl at the desk told me I was 'too late' and she had cancelled my reservation to give the room to another person. The room had been booked through the local tourist office and prepaid.

I asked her to check because this seemed simply unbelievable. I had even emailed the hotel the day before. Holding up a stack of *faxes* she told me my message was not in it. I kept trying to get her to look at the hotel emails, but she did not seem to know the difference between faxes and emails.

When I asked her to call the manager, she would not. When I asked her if she could get in touch with the tourist office to find me another hotel room she would not. Nor would she cancel or refund the charge, pretending she did not understand me. I spoke to her in French and in English.

The fact is that this was an extremely busy period in Tours, and all the hotels were filled to capacity. I suspect she took a bribe from another guest to give away my room.

• Disliked — A desirable stay in France should not become a nightmare.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2008

In all regards this is a very good hotel -- except for the limited air conditioning during what was quite warm weather. Otherwise, everything was fine. The room was quite large; the bathroom was large also. Breakfast was a bit limited since this is a hotel with tour groups (who tend to clear out the breakfast buffet -- which was not replenished.)). The front desk were cheerful and helpful. The hotel is quite close to the Tours (city) railway station (a ten-minute walk); so it's a good place!

• Liked — a good room with excellent facilities
  • Disliked — the room was too warm (during a hotel spell)
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Citotel Criden? Share your experiences!