“The highlight of our trip was Loire Valley Time Travel” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 3 Food & Drink in Tours
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: The owners of Loire Valley Time Travel are originally from Australia, and toured the world before settling in France and deciding to share their love of the Loire Valley with visitors. On all of our tours Simon drives the classic cars, while Susan shares her wealth of knowledge about the Loire's history, way of life and natural environment. We provide custom private tours of the Loire Valley, traveling in our classic French 1953 Citroen Traction Avant, and we try to make a day with us like having a day out with friends. We visit the grand chateau you have always dreamed of seeing, stopping along the way at small overlooked sites that can range from WW2 memorials to ancient ruins and troglodyte caves.
california
“The highlight of our trip was Loire Valley Time Travel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

My husband and I followed my daughter and her husband on a two day tour of Loire Valley.
I can't think of a better way to go to this region without Susan & Simon. We had trouble with our passports and they adjusted the tour that was to include 4 of us together on 2 separate tours.
Celestine is incredibly comfortable and fun to drive in. Simon got along well with my husband talking about old cars while driving. My husband just said today that he could not imagine going without using this team. I had previously gone to one of the Castles in Villandry which I wanted to share with him. I have to say that the last time I was there I did not get the same treatment with another tour group.This time- I did.
I happened to like a tree and turned to Susan who immediately told me the name.
I would say that Susan and Simon have found their niche in this business!
Susan knew all the history of each individual that was involved in the chateau.Interesting stuff about each king and queen.
Don't bother looking for another tour, this is the "only one" to consider.
We have traveled all over France before and never remembered what we viewed because there wasn't someone that was so knowledgeable as Loire Valley Time Travel.

Visited July 2014

San Mateo, California
“Wonderful Memories with Time Travel Tours”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

My husband and I just traveled to France a couple weeks ago and took a 2 day tour with Susan and Simon in their beautiful antique car Celestine. For two days we traveled the Loire Valley countryside and toured beautiful chateaus, ate delicious lunch's (picked and planned by them) and had wonderful company with Susan and Simon. Susan is extremely knowledgeable and didn't miss a beat while on our tour. She will not leave out any detail and really brings you back to the times the chateaus were occupied by the Kings and Queens who lived there. I would never dream of doing Loire Valley another way. My only recommendation is that if its a hot day bring an umbrella and a lot of water to keep hydrated during the tour.

Visited July 2014
Niwot, CO
“Perfect stress free way to see the Loire Valley”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

We spent two days with Simon, Susan, and the beautiful Celestine at the end of April. We really appreciated the fact that we could just relax and not have to navigate the roads ourselves. Susan is a wealth of information and made our tours of the Chateaux educational and easy. Both Simon and Susan are a pleasure to be with and we enjoyed great conversation and lunches as well!

Visited April 2014
Erie, Colorado
3 attraction reviews
“Greatest Vacation of our lives..do it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

We recently took a week's trip to France - 4 days in Paris, then were looking for the perfect 3 day excursion to follow-on. We found their link, and they were able to respond immediately with helpful suggestions on how to navigate the train system and provided great suggestions on where to stay and eat. Susan and Simon picked us up right on time the first morning at our B&B - and our family of 4 piled into "Celestine" - a 1953 Citroen Traction Avant...a simply beautiful car that took us back in time. Our 2 day trip through the countryside was bliss - Simon takes country roads through small villages, and has an encyclopedic knowledge of the area. Upon stopping at the chateaus, his wife Susan (who follows in a car behind) takes over tour guide duties, and gave us incredible access and knowledge about the local chateaus - some of which were actually closed to all other visitors that day! We had lunch in small local restaurants, with no other tourists in sight, and truly felt like we were in our own world. We've tried all manner of tour guides before - but nothing comes close to the knowledge, experience, and ambience of Simon and Susan. This trip was worth far more than the price we were charged - and they took care of everything, including lunch, tickets, etc. We have never done so much (and still been so relaxed) in two days of vacation. Thanks for a wonderful family trip that we will treasure forever!

Cambridge, Canada
4 attraction reviews
“Fantastic Day in the Loire Valley”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

If you're looking for a wonderful 'Out of the Way' experience, do not hesitate to book a day trip (or 2!!) with Simon and Susan of Loire Valley Time Travel!!!....You will not be disappointed!!! It's an easy train ride out of Paris to Tours, and Simon with 'Celestine', will pick you up at the train station and whisk you away into the beautiful countryside of the Loire Valley. They will share with you all of the back roads and well known landmarks as you glide along. Both are proud of the area in which they live and love to share the history, as well as the flora and fauna with their new found friends. Everything is included - Admissions, lunch and admiring looks and smiles of the people you pass as you drive along. If you have any special requests, they will try to accommodate them. We went to the quaint and historical town of 'Loches', had lunch there and after touring some Troglodyte cave/dwellings enjoyed a pleasant drive through the countryside (...with a stop in the sunflower fields) to 'Chenonceau', a beautiful chateau steeped in history. We ended the day at a delightful winery, complete with tastings and were dropped back at the train station for our return trip to Paris. It was a truly magical day and a fantastic way to celebrate the 40th wedding anniversary of our friends, who travelled with us. Thank you, Simon and Susan......Until we meet again!!!

Visited August 2013