“very pleasant Stay” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #32 of 66 hotels in Tours
Perth
“very pleasant Stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

We stayed here for one night in Feb on our way back to Paris by car. We were pleasantly surprised for the price we paid. The room was charming, recently renovated and very comfortable (especially if you're into memory foam matresses). The downside was that it was at the top of three flights of VERY steep and rickety stairs, passing renovations as you climbed. The hostess was friendly enough but didn't seem impressed that we couldn't speak French and was not very keen to help us with restaurant reservations or local advice. Breakfast was simple, tea/coffee/ bread and jam, maybe give that a miss. Good for an overnighter-very comfortable rooms, good wifi.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

82 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Sheffield
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

We were pleasantly surprised with this hotel. It on a terraced street about a 5 minute walk from the train station, which is also where all the shops, bars and restaurants are.

The rooms are a reasonable size, though ours had a very small shower cubicle, with a sink and a w/c and when sat on the w/c my knees were touching the opposite wall!
The décor is rustic, yellows orange and reds, original floor boards, tapestry rugs, and all the bedding and upholstery matching. In doing this the owners have given the rooms a charming feel.
The bed was small but very clean and comfy. There’s some storage space but not much.
It’s definitely a guesthouse, even if technically it has hotel status, clearly the owners own house converted into a hotel.
The room doesn’t have any mod cons but we weren’t expecting that, so no air con, tea/coffee making facilities, etc.
The towels could do with renewing, and a tumble dryer would help…the towels were hard and ‘crusty’.
The floor in our room was original floor boards and they are very creaky/noisy, had to tread carefully for fear of waking the other guests up!
Our room had a small balcony onto the street (see photo).
When we pulled up there was free parking along one side of the street, but no spaces, and the old gentleman owner said we could park on the other side, no problem! (He said this all in French as he spoke not a word of English). I was a little wary of doing this as it looked like double yellows! I went back to the car later and a younger chap outside questioned my parking….turns out to be the old mans son, who said I would have been clamped or the car removed! He pointed out that the hotel did have a garage beneath it, the entrance to which was around the block.

The mans wife was around when we went back in, and she spoke good English, I think she probably ‘holds the fort’ at the hotel and not the old man. Either way, they were friendly and helpful, and helped us take our luggage up to the room up the small narrow staircase.

A good clean, basic charming hotel, located on a quiet street, yet close to the centre of tours. Would use this one again.

Room Tip: Get one with a larger bathroom....you might want to ask prior to arrival
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Warsaw
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

On arriving, we realized that what we had booked was a one star hotel! Somewhat horrified, we entered the small lobby and climbed up the narrow stairs. What, however, turned out to be our double room (on the 2nd floor) was a classy, beautifully decorated, comfortable room with two big separate beds and a small (but fully equipped) bathroom. The central location (some 5-10 minutes walk from the railway station) made all Tours' attractions easily accessible for us. All in all, a very good one star hotel, offering a much higher standard than most of the two star establishments in France. Not very cheap, but recommendable.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

The owners were very friendly, nice and helpful. The breakfast was good. I stayed in Junior Suite. It's clean & comfortable. I like that little french style apartment .

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

I stayed here last summer (late writing the review!) and loved it. I was traveling solo, and my room was small but perfect for me. Very close to the train station, which made it easy to do castle hopping during the day. I think all the rooms have themes, mine was African-themed.

The couple who owns the place were very nice - I arrived early and they held my bag for me downstairs, and when I came back in the evening they had carried it up the stairs for me already. Not an insignificant climb! Hotel Vendome felt more like a B&B, although breakfast isn't included. I'd highly recommend this place to anyone looking for a quaint, friendly, budget stay in Tours.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Exeter, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

Tours is a beautiful city and this hotel is right in the centre; we stayed for one night but it was great to be able to stumble back a short way from Place Plumereau! We had a double en-suite room which cost just 46 Euros, which seemed like excellent value for a city hotel. However, I would not have wanted to stay for more than one night. The bed was very small, so it was a good job we'd drunk enough to get to sleep otherwise I would not have slept at all. Also, the bathroom was very tiny, there was barely enough space to sit on the toilet without banging your knees on the wall opposite (and I'm only 5ft 2in). The shower didn't have a riser, it had to be held by hand and again there was not really enough space. I didn't say anything to the staff as we were only staying one night and the service was welcoming and friendly, but it's probably not somewhere I would stay again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Tallinn, Estonia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

The hotel is located near to the railway station and the main sights of the city that is convenient for travellers. Also nearby there is a lot of cafe and restaurants.
We stayed at the hotel for 4 nights. We had Delux room with balcony. The room was issued in old style, with a fireplace. On the TV there were only French channels. The wardrobe in a room was very small, so we couldn't place in it our luggage. The bathroom was such narrow, that I couldn't sit down normally to a toilet bowl and to wash, I should open a door.
Despite that windows went to the street, a room was silent, but all moving of neighbours are audible, especially, when they took a shower.
Be careful: in a room it is strictly forbidden to eat, it is good, that it is not forbidden to drink.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Vendome? Share your experiences!