“Memorable dinner from start to finish” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 54 Restaurants in Chinon
Cuisines: French
Good for: Doing business, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Cuisine de poisson de mers et riviere, suivant le cours des saisons....plats à emporter,
Versailles, Kentucky
“Memorable dinner from start to finish”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

We enjoyed a fabulous dinner at this beautiful restaurant during our visit to Chinon. My husband and friends love seafood, but I am allergic to it. I was a bit nervous about eating there until the owner assured me that there was a filet of beef they could cook for me. It was spectacular. I believe my husband and friends enjoyed their lobster dishes even more. The decor is beautiful, the food presentation is as elegant as the food itself, the staff is observant and professional. Our evening there was a sheer delight.

Visited September 2013

Ashland, Oregon
“Marvelous!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

My husband and I were traveling in the Loire with a business group (but for pleasure) and a group of 8 of us made reservations at this location on the recommendation of one of the travel staff along on our journey. The ambiance is sleek, the table settings are beautiful and the menu is exceptional, but be advised, as the name would suggest - this establishment is about fresh fish. The menu is not as pricey as I would have expected, given the location and the atmosphere. Some of our group required assistance with translation of the menu and the staff was accommodating. I required a gluten free menu and provided a blurb in French about celiac/gf food to Madame. She was very helpful about making sure I chose appropriate options. The artwork on the plate - the presentation - was beautiful. I have never enjoyed such rich and flavorful bouillabisse and never had a lobster so tender and so perfectly seasoned. The others around the table had similar "oh la la" raves about their choices. We enjoyed several varietals of local wine that were delightful and well priced. The staff was crisply efficient in moving in and out to deliver and remove plates in a full dining room but they were not obtrusive. The desserts were magnificient - my husband's grand marnier souffle was perfection and my choice of two iced macaroons (gf of course) with innovative filling was just the right way to end this lovely meal. The chef, M. Descoubes, was very gracious in receiving our collective raves. A delightful way to spend three hours in Chinon!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Swindon, UK
“I agree with others - don't miss”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

I'd passed this restaurant on previous visits and thought it looked interesting; it always seemed busy too, compared to competitors. Lunching there on impulse during a September visit to the Loire confirmed all the positive feelings. From the setting - on a (covered) terrace on the street, through good service, great local fish and two very fine wines from the region, we felt we had passed a very pleasing couple of hours - and the size of the bill was a very pleasant surprise. They don't do pomp; this is relaxed eating of very good food. It's somewhere I would very readily go back to. Madame (the patronne) is delightful.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
british columbia
“Impressive”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

Nice decor, beautiful presentation of food and nice chinon wine. The menu was french only but this made for an interesting part of the evening since we translated it with our dictionary. If you want to make an evening out of eating fantastic food, this is the place. If you want to eat in 1 hour then don't travel to France. A good meal should take at least 2 hours and we overdid it and ate and drank for 3 hours . For starters we had foie gras, avocat and crab, lobster salad and WOW. Patrick really knows what he is doing in the kitchen! For mains, the skate with camembert was out of this world, the tuna was runner up and the fresh river fish came in third. Next was the selection of cheese--try the black one. And who knew what the French could do with cotton candy? Amazing night. Amazing food. Menu starts at 24-36 euro +. We probably spent just as much on spermatic,wine, more wine, digestif and coffee which for the 4 of us cost the same as 1 night stay at our 4 star hotel in Paris. If you're on a budget, splurge a little here. It is worth it!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Sydney, Australia
“Don't miss this fine dining establishment”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Our Friday lunch excursion was one of the finest dining experiences we have ever had. The beautiful table settings enticed us into the restaurant. From then on we realised we were in for a treat. We stumbled our way through the menu with our limited French assisted by our wait staff who patiently explained each item on the menu. Three of us chose the trilogy for our entree and our fourth member chose the foie gras. Superb. The mains of lobster, sea bass and sandre (a local fresh water fish) were presented beautifully and with flavours to match. The cheese trolley had an extensive range to choose from and the raspberry sorbet/ice-cream was a delight to the eye as well as the tastebuds. The service was great and prices were definitely good value for the experience. If you are in Chinon or regions close by put this restaurant on your "must do" list.

Visited September 2013