“Simple and delicious” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Richland, WA
“Simple and delicious”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012 via mobile

Our first night in Chenonceaux, we ate at the resto at Le Bon Laboureur- fabulous food and service. After two weeks in France, we could not do another of those type dinners tonight. Au Gateau Breton was welcoming. Our server was delightful and spoke enough English to communicate with the 4 of us. The menu was varied. We all started with the escargot and really enjoyed it. We wanted simple for dinner. Three of us had roasted chicken and one a grilled chicken salad. Fries and green beans rounded out the meal. All very tasty! Very reasonably priced. Glad we went!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Paris, France
“Nice restaurant..service is bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

We had a warm welcome...but we ordered a menu...paid for a menu..but did not get our cafe or dessert. I guess they just dont know how to handle crowded restaurant.

Visited May 2012
East Meadow, New York
“A wonderful local restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

(I'm reposting this under my current ID so I can keep track of all my posts, but this visit happened a couple of years ago.)

On a visit to Chenonceaux, we decided to wander through town and see what we could find for dinner. Au Gateau Breton's menu looked nice, so we wandered in. We were the only English speakers in the place, but our broken French was enough to get us by. The folks there were understanding of our limited grasp of their language, and they made us feel at home.

I ordered Duck Confit, and my spouse ordered Chicken with Mushroom Stuffing & Cream Sauce. We also had an appetizer of duck liver pate, and with our main meal we ordered haricots verts (green beans) and pomme frites (french fries). Everything was wonderful! We make a point of eating our way through every trip to France, and this time was no different. I can say without hesitation that the duck at Au Gateau Breton was the best I had in France or anywhere else (and I ate a fair amount of duck during this trip!). Desserts were excellent, and, with all of that, the bill was under 50 Euro--not bad for where we were. Certainly cheaper than other places we ate!

Next time we're over, we're definitely going back to Au Gateau Breton!

• Visited June 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Stuttgart
“worst meal I never got to eat”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

Before our visit to Chenonceaux, we planned to have a solid, "deep France" kind of meal. We read the menu at Au Gateau Breton and decided it would give us a pretty fine dining experience. We speak more than enough intelligible French, arrived well within the appointed afternoon dining times, and noted there were plenty of available tables, both inside as well as outside. However, when asking for a table, we were turned away.

The only reason we could surmise would be that we had a 9-month old baby with us, even though he was sleeping soundly in his stroller.

We are highly disappointed with this restaurant for a plethora of reasons.

• Visited March 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
East Meadow, New York
“Wonderful food without pretense”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2010

Next time we're over, we're definitely going back to Au Gateau Breton!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere