“It says three stars...” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 22 hotels in Bourges
Geoffram
“It says three stars...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2011

.I'm a little confused as to what pushes a hotel from 3-star to 4-star. From the outside, the hotel looks gorgeous, dominated by a huge round tower. I suppose if it was 4-star, someone would have come running out to help us in with our bags and our dog, always a tricky balancing act. But inside, reception was very friendly (so many hotels fall at this first hurdle) and the room, a Superior double, which apart from a weary-looking patterned carpet, looked quite modern. For some reason, they had knocked down the wall between the toilet and the bathroom, but had left both doors in situ. I thought you'd find that interesting.
Now we arrived on a Sunday night, when the restaurant was closed, but, no problem, come out of the hotel and turn right, walk for about 5-minutes and you'll find yourself in a delightful pedestrian square. We had a hilarious meal in an Italian restaurant, where everything that was ordered arived, not just wrong but very wrong. I would review it separately if I could only remember what it was called. I believe it was called O Sole Mio, but I could be wrong. I mean, who's ever heard of an Italian restaurant called O Sole Mio?
We had a great night's sleep, the wifi worked without any trouble and breakfast was to be found in this great Banqueting hall. If I was being really picky, I'd say breakfast was just OK. My request for a capuccino was met with an "I only started yesterday and I don't know how the Froth thing goes" face. And the hot buffet was not being warmed properly. But hey! These are only details. We'll definitely give it a go on the way back home (I couldn't find the right place to tell you we were driving through France on the way to Spain). Might even go back to THAT restaurant!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

311 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Neath
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

Can't understand why this hotel isn't rated more highly, but as another reviewer pointed out its not your typical Mercure, so I'll give my reasons briefly
- 1st class service
- 1st class food- fab fillet steak room service, tasteful breakfast, hot and cold in the vaulted banqueting hall
-Relaxing and romantic without being stuffy.
- great access with plenty of free parking

Faults
nice gardens although roads both sides of the hotel
our room had low cellar like window, fine for our latish and tired arrival, but not so nice if you want a view.

Room Tip: ask for a higher floor to avoid the low arch like windows
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
anne-olivia, Directeur général at Hotel de Bourbon - Mercure de Bourges, responded to this review, October 6, 2011
Dear Guests,

I would like to thank you very much for posting such a nice comment. I am really pleased that you appreciated your stay with us, the quality of our room service and our "Express and Co" breakfast served in our bar.

Many thanks for yous trust and loyalty !!

So, see you soon !!

Best regards,
Port Vendres
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011 via mobile

Ignore this hotel on Monday's as the restaurant is closed (the only reason to justify room price) and the bar was closed on our return at 10pm from the restaurant, where it seems, all the hotel's guest had been directed!!

• Stayed September 2011
Dear Guests,

First of all, I would like to thanks you for taking the time the write us your impressions regarding your stay in our hotel.

I am sorry if you were disappointed at not being able to enjoy a dinner in our gourmet restaurant. That is rights that actually, our restaurant is closed on Monday as it is mentionned in all websites.

I hope that you will give us another chance and that we will have the pleausre to welcome you again and soon.

A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

Not a typical Mercure Hotel in design or restaurant options. Hotel and rooms good. However, one usually uses a Mercure due to its location, price and easy restaurant dining options and prices. the only restaurant option is fine dining. The dinning room is a stunning great hall but does anyone look to a Mercure for a culinary experience? The websie stated when we booked that there were two restaurants andd we decided to use each of them during our two night stay. We arrived to find only the fine dining restaurant and ate there on our first night, fab service but both of us found our main courses and deserts very disappointing and cost a ridiculous amount. Room service menu poor.

Not sure why this hotel is in Mercure chain, if it was an independant hotel I would have reviewed it differently.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
London, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2011

Easily findable from the autoroutes and ideally suited for visiting the centre and medieval tourist attractions this hotel is not expensive and quite comfortable, with enough easy parking and a garden in which to relax over a drink or two.

Room Tip: This is an adapted abbey building and in (? most) first floor rooms the height of the window is abou...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel de Bourbon - Mercure de Bourges? Share your experiences!