“Value for money - not!” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
New York City, New York
“Value for money - not!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

Expensive and somewhat weird food - for example a very nice piece of local river fish served with beef sauce / gravy and a concoction of potted beef instead of any vegetables or a starch. Does nt at all live up to the hype

Visited May 2012

Paris, France
“Delicious!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012

We had the discovery menu and it was very good! After the first 5 courses we were offered cheese with the 'warning' that there was still a pre-dessert and a dessert to follow!!! We politely refused...
Great fish and seafood dishes - only slight negative was that the chef seemed a bit keen on making sweet touches to many of the dishes. Being a person keen on savoury food and not at all with a sweet tooth I found this a bit annoying.

Visited May 2012
UK
“Great, Great Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

Au Rendez-Vous des Pecheurs is sublime. You will go a long, long way to find a place which combines superb food with an intimate, relaxed, unique environment (almost feels like a run-down roadside cafe but this has been achieved with very close attention to detail and styling which lifts it into a different league).

The extraordinary flavours and textures from the kitchen are just a delight, presentation of the dishes are simply beautiful. The staff are brilliant. The only advice I would give readers is to ensure they are familar with menu descriptions in French - trying to translate will inevitably give rise to interpretations that deceive.

Some of the dishes challenge your conceptions of haute cuisine but every time I have taken a chance on a dish that I may not have fully understood on ordering, I have been amazed at the skills displayed by the kitchen and never disappointed - go out of your way to find this place.

• Visited September 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
English Lake District
“The Big Time ... Your Choice!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

This restaurant has a red spoon-and-fork and a red star in the 2011 Michelin [red] guide to FRANCE. I'm getting a little wary of the write-ups in this formidable guide ... they ain't what they used to be.
Christophe Cosme is the cuisinier ... the place is not that easy to find, nor is parking. Arrive on foot or by taxi.
The restaurant is run on classic "haut cuisine" lines: whispering waiters, not a spec of dust, a carefully orchestrated interior, nothing on the table but the best - this includes the most expensive china to eat off and to serve.
If you want "class", you've got it.
If you want a certain "je ne sais quoi", you've got it. [That discrete, trained politeness of a well groomed, young Restaurant Brigade - young men with agreeable smiles and a quiet skill in serving; napkins and beautiful wine glasses .... no chance of a an adjacent table-full of cackling pals .... do I need to elaborate?]
There is a theatrical "clash, bang, chime, scrape" coming through the kitchen door .... and it is evident that Le Maitre holds an iron grip on the place.
But I could have cooked that meal myself!
I let rip: nothing else for it at Au Rendez-Vous des Pecheurs - and they don't bat an eyelid.
I chose a beautiful wine ... little ramekins of whatever kept appearing .... the place wasn't full by any means. I enjoyed everything.
But I could have cooked that meal myself!
So THINK ABOUT IT, folks. If you want what Chrostophe Cosme is offering, he will not let you down. If you want to fall out of the place clutching a dangeroulsy loaded stomach, he will let you down. If you want a salad or whatever with the main course, the answer is "No!".
A fortune went west: fine! No regrets ... but the next day, in Ambois, lunchtime, at a local restaurant full of ordinary French people plus we hum-drum tourists, I had the Dish of the Day .... veal steaks in a marvellous sauce for ten quid, English money, with a small caraf of local red wine: WONDERFUL!
Decide for yourselves about Michelin top rated venues: but get wise.

• Visited August 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“Superb”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

I would count our meal here as one of the five best I've ever had in Europe (and that includes France, Italy, Spain, and Greece). The staff were freindly but unobtrusive. The food was modern, but neither fussy nor minimal, in terms of portions - we left with full stomachs, after each having the fixed price meal. I had what the waitress translated as a "shepard's pie" - except that it included duck, chesnuts, and foie gras... It was divine.
I wouldn't take my child here (not worth the price, given how lightly children eat), but there was a party with children present, and I noted that the staff was pleasant to them and catered to them in a way you seldom see in "high-end" restaurants - always a sign of good management, when they seek to please every type of guest. A s two single women, we also noted that they didn't shove us in a corner near the kitchen or washroom, as frequently (unfortunately) happens in French restaurants.

• Visited July 2011