“Nice dinner with friends” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with
Save up to 20% when you reserve online *
L'Orangerie du Chateau is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 136 Restaurants in Blois
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Entertaining clients, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Doing business
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The restaurant l'Orangerie du Ch��teau is opposite the fairy tale Ch��teau de Blois overlooking the beautiful facade of the castle. The orangery was built at the end of the 15th century during the reign of Louis XVII and Anne of Brittany and was surrounded by beautiful gardens. The orangery has become a fine dining restaurant offering a variety of menus priced from 38 to 83 euros per person as well as some of the finest French wines available. For tea and coffee lovers the restaurant also prides itself on the wide selection available. The menus are made up of traditional French dishes cooked and served to the very highest of standards and that change with the seasons.
Zurich, Switzerland
“Nice dinner with friends”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Came here with a relatively large group of friends (about ten) and were given a separate room upstairs.
Started with a nice amuse bouche and their recommended aperitif (10+ EUR - I think this is where they make a lot of their money). Then we had a nice mix of the two different set meals that were both outstanding (foie gras, lobster, frog, lamb etc) and not too aggressively priced (60-80 EUR). Also had some very nice local wine. Overall excellent quality for around 100 EUR pp.
Service started out quite disappointing (it took us a good 45-60 minutes to order wine, we had to ask for water about 5 times and the food arrived veeeery slowly). Things did get better once the more experience waiter freed up a little from serving downstairs and in the end they offered us coffee and a digestif on the house.

Can definitely recommend the place but would try to be seated downstairs to avoid the slow service.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
blois11, Gérant at L'Orangerie du Chateau, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear cutomer,

It was a pleasure to receive you at our restaurant.
We are sorry to hear that you were dissatisfied with the waiting time. However, it is very simple to explain. Taking orders individually for a group of ten persons can be very long, considering that it may take up to two minutes per person. Moreover, the dishes required about thirty minutes to prepare, which is the usual time.
Besides, the price of the aperitif includes both the drink and 4 amuse bouche.
If you should visit again with a group, we suggest you make your choice from our menu (which is available online) and let us know about it before you visit : you would thus be served very quickly.
Best regards,

Lincs
“The place to eat in Blois”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

If your travelling with your dearest or just like me with three friends on a bike ride, if in Blois don't miss it. From the moment you walk through the door you just relax and let all your cares slip away. The staff are attentive without being on top of you, the food is first class. All in all a classic evening out. My only dissapointment was the staff were better dressed than most of the clients !

• Visited May 2013
Pebble Beach, California
“Pricey, but wonderful evening”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

It has been a few months since we dined here, so I can no longer recall the specifics of the evening. What I can say is that the lingering impression after al this time was a wonderful, romantic setting, excellent service, outstanding cuisine, and of course, as one would expect, a pricey tab.

If you don't care about price or if you have a special occasion and don't mind spending a bit extra, you can't miss. I highly recommend.

• Visited September 2012
Mölndal
“Star of the Loire”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

After a disappointment the day before we had really high expectations on L'Orangerie. And... everything was right: The place next to the chateau was historical, yet refiend, the service inpeccable and the food exquisite. After a champagne aperitif we had two of the pièces de resistance of the menu: Cuisses de grenoulles, which were by far the best of its kind I have had in France; and a perfect ris de veau. We were discreetly guided through a long winelist, and had a 17/20 Sancerre rouge with the meal. All in all a starry experience,

• Visited October 2012
perth
“Felt at home again!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

I am an expatriated Frenchman to the UK for 13 years now. On many of my visits back home in Paris I have often been truly disappointed with what is now on offer in a regular French restaurant. My visit to Blois following a trip to a place belonging to my childhood in this area reminded me how much the Provinces have to offer when it comes to food, wine and service. As a restaurateur myself, I can safely say that in Scotland where I live, we are very lucky with the choice of quality restaurants there are today. In fact I have regular outburst with my people back home when it comes to which beef is the best and so on. But the visit I have had in this restaurant recently, just remind me that France has still the people that make the difference. The service being the most evident of all. 180 euros for two with a bottle of Chinon 2005, veal sweetbreads, venison, 2 magnificent souffle for desserts and a plate of cheese worth a million bucks back in the UK, is to say the least a bargain. I cannot express just how great it was to see a 16 years old boy learning the trade of serving and a Maitre d'Hotel who knows his wine list and can safely recommend the perfect wine to match both our mains, even tough they were a world apart in taste. Anyway, if I don't stop here you'll give up writing, but if I don't tell you you might just miss it! Bon Appetit et Vive la France!!!

• Visited October 2012