“a gifted chef” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Sydney, Australia
“a gifted chef”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

Our taxi driver said this was the best restaurant in Vezelay, so we gave it a try. If there is a better restaurant in Vezelay, I would be amazed. A la carte is a bit pricey, but the 30 euro prix fixe menu was very good value. The dishes on the menu were good options, not just cheap alternatives to the a la carte. We went back a second night, and ordered from both the menu and a la carte. The magret du canard (from the a la carte) was so beautifully presented that I hated to start cutting into it. Normally, I think of presentation as a secondary quality, but the chef has a real talent for presentation. The service was not great, In fact, the first night was slapstick. The waitress sneezed going by our ice bucket, crashed into it, and sent the bucket and bottle tumbling to the floor. She disappeared while I picked up the bucket and wine bottle, and we never heard a word of apology. Still, we went back the next night. What can you do when the food is so good?

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

London, United Kingdom
“Unpleasant experience due to bad service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011

Food was good, if not excellent. Service was very inconsistent and turned my experience into an unpleasant one. One of the three waitresses had quite a long face and to my luck, she served me or did not. I had to wait for everything from cutlery to clearing up my plates for ages. After my second dish she never visited the table again neither to clear up the plate nor to ask if there is anything else I want. After waiting half an hour completely ignored by the sour face, I went to the cashier to pay my bill without taking desert or cheese. I don't recommend this place, I will never go back there again.

• Visited August 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Sussex
“Hit and miss”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2011

Contrary to other reviews here, we found the service to be poor. Our waitress was not very helpful, and snatched away our menus before taking our orders for dessert.

My food was excellent - no starter but excellent ris de veau with morilles and langoustine for main and an apple and rhubarb crumble for dessert. However, the others were less than impressed. My son in law ordered giant prawns with Thai flavoured rice. Although plural on the menu, it was just one prawn. Not much for 18 euros. The fillet steak and lamb chops were fair, but two had banana filled nems for dessert and neither really enjoyed them.

All in all, as I said, hit and miss. A beautiful location however, and a perfect sunny evening.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
South Wales
“All you can realistically hope for”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2011

We were in a party of four and were warmly welcomed. We chose a variety of dishes from the same set menu and found all very acceptable. A good wine list (we chose a red & white Vezelay). As we were staying in the delightful Compostelle, literally next door, it could not have been more convenient. We have dined in another restaurant in Vezelay, and this is the best so far. I would like to try the Bougainville but have never been here when that is open.
Highly commended.