“Great... for the price” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“Great... for the price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

Hotel Victor Hugo is fine, for the price. The mattress was squishy, the 'water closet' was a literal interpretation and the 'petit dejeuner' erred well toward the 'petit' side of things. But really, it's a great location, very affordable and a friendly place. I'd just not be burning up my time in Burgundy here. Get to the countryside.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

I was headed to Dijon from Italy by train and scoped out hotels on Tripadvisor. This hotel was at the top of the list, and priced right for my quick trip in and out of Dijon. I emailed the hotel and got a favorable response quickly. I was able to arrange the whole reservation by email on my smartphone while on the train--Excellente! I arrived in the evening and the staff was very friendly and I think he spoke perfect English--but his French/English information was perfect. Good clean rooms, breakfast would have been ready if I hadn't had to leave so early. Loved the location--5 minutes from trainstation and 5 minutes to great restaurants--and Les Halles. The hotel had a nice courtyard that the rooms looked out onto--and I heard the hoots of an owl during the night--perfect!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Lakeland, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

AS with other reviewers, I found the room comfortable, nice shower with plentiful hot water. The hotel is on a quiet residential street but our room faced the courtyard and was very quiet. No lift if that's an issue and car parking is available but a bit tight as is true of much of France. Very accommodating staff and between my fractured French and their shaky English we had no trouble communicating. A short walk to the old city but note that as of April '12, much of Place Darcy is under construction making driving and walking that area a bit of a challenge.

Room Tip: Ask for courtyard view.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012 via mobile

Easy to find, free wifi, parked under the hotel, a nice owner and somewhere to eat only five minutes walk away. I'd stay again.

I just knocked off a star because as others have said it is quite noisy. Noisy from the street, the echo up from reception and the paper thin walls.

The noise was the only issue and didn't overly detract from our one nights stay.

Stayed April 2011
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012

I stayed for just one night and was pleasantly surprised with this place. It was clean and pleasant-looking, the lobby/breakfast area was cheerful and old-fashioned (in a nice way), and the room (I just took a standard room since I was by myself) was simple but had some pleasant touches. Overall pretty good value for money, and reasonably close to the train station and center (10-15 min walk). My only complaint was that the wireless internet was not working the entire night I was there and the guy at the desk did not know how to fix it.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Burleigh Heads, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012

Arriving late afternoon my parnter dashed inside to find out the parking situation. Even with the language barrier we got the directions without any trouble (under the hotel, plenty of spaces)
As we checked in we went to pay as had been custom along the way in other places we'd stayed. Manager wanted none of it which was so refreshing, he was more than happy to fix up the bill in the morning.
Once we got to the room we were happy to find a large room with modern bathroom, tv and built in cupboard. The bed was extremely comfortable, the room very quiet and the facilities extremely clean.
When we went out for dinner the night manager looked after our room key for us and we walked into the centre of town, less than 10 mins walk.
As with check in check out was a breeze, we swiped our card and were on our way. Would definitely recommend to friends and family and would stay here again in a heartbeat. Tres bien!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

we stayed here with our two boys enroute to Val Thorens (skiing). We had a double room with an adjoining room for the boys and ensuite. The rooms were quite old fashioned but very comfortable (tv in double bedroom with french channels).
The location was great - a very short walk into the centre of Dijon! Great place for sightseeing, lovely shops and a market on the friday morning!
The staff at the Victor Hugo were lovely and very helpful.
Parking under the hotel was a bonus and enabled us to leave all our stuff in the car.
breakfast was available but we chose to take the short walk into town to have breakfast there.Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Victor Hugo? Share your experiences!