“Cozy place, nice food and good service” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Geneva, Switzerland
“Cozy place, nice food and good service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

This place was recommended to us by the Hotel Du Palais staff, which had kindly booked a table for us. The restaurant was full. The service was nice and fast. One waiter was serving to all: very polite, with a sense of humor. The food was excellent. We liked the place in general, but were disturbed by a big dog sitting on the ground next to our table, which belonged to a woman sitting next to us.

I love dogs, but when I eat, plus with a kid, I don't like a dog touching me with its tale and licking my hands. I think that restaurant should have s policy not allowing pets in the restaurant, which may disturb other clients. Luckily, non of us were allergic to dogs.

The place was a bit narrow to escape from the kind attention of that doggy.

• Visited September 2013

Monroe, North Carolina, United States
“Great restaurant......the locals eat here!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Just had a wonderful meal at Le Theatre des Sens. The restaurant is small and we were one of the only tourists there tonight. My husband had escargot and I had a salad with goat cheese and ham wrapped in a puff pastry......tres bon! The waiter spoke some English so we were able to understand what it was we were ordering......try this restaurant but make reservations as it is very small.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Sydney, Australia
“Regional food at it's best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

We were lucky to get a table at this restaurant full of locals. Lovely host who explained the local dishes to us. Oeufs en Meurette were a new experience, (poached eggs in a red wine sauce) followed by other Burgundian specialities which were so well cooked and presented. All well priced and a thoroughly good experience. Don't miss if you are in Dijon but wise to book.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Dublin, Ireland
“Classic Burgundian food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

I am not sure how people can leave poor reviews when their disappointment is because the restaurant is closed or full. Pretty unreasonable I think, particularly as this little place is one of the few bastions of genuine French cooking we have found in the last decade.

The young patron (apparently he and the chef are joint owners) was amiable and efficient. The restaurant is small, with tables close together, but has charm. The cooking is absolutely sound. We were given warm little gougeres to go with our glasses of champagne. Delicious. I continued with a large choux pastry stuffed with escargots, mushrooms (trompette de la mort) and a cream sauce. It was perhaps over generous in size but full of flavour. My wife had a perfect oeufs en meurette, the poached eggs molten inside and the red wine flavoured sauce larded with bits of bacon. We continued with a ridiculously rich but accurate crayfish gratin (my fault for choosing it, after the choux starter) and perfectly pink rognons de veau. We finished with a superb moelleux de chocolat, the inside oozing melted bitter chocolate, and a faultless creme caramel.
I cannot think how long it has been since we have found decent, honest, good French food in France - eating here was such a pleasure. The bill for the two of us, including two glasses of champagne, 500cl of a decent Macon Blanc, 500cl of a less marvellous Cote de Beaune, Badoit, and three courses was a very modest 105 euros. We thoroughly recommend this restaurant to anyone who enjoys traditional French cooking.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Melbourne, Australia
“This is where to sample traditional Burgundy classics”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

Small bistro style eatery with traditional decor and Burgundian classics well cooked at appropriate prices. 25 euro for 3 course dinner menu each course having 3 choices. Excellent escargot, oeuf meurette, boeuf bourguignon, creme brulee de cassis, sorbets sampled. 20-30 euro bottles of excellent burgundy white and red wines. V friendly English speaking owner/maitre'd. Close to eastern end of Palace of Dukes.

• Visited July 2013