“A highlight of a sojourn from Paris” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: French
Good for: Doing business, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Sydney Australia
“A highlight of a sojourn from Paris”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

Having read about Bresse chicken and the "happy chook' I savoured the dish at "Le Restaurant L"Hotel" in 2008 with dear friends from Paris. However, that was not enough for me, I wanted to go to Bourg en Bresse. So in October 2011 we caught the TGV from Paris to Bourg en Bresse and went to the market (in the rain and without umbrellas) and wandered around and then found Le Francais. Beautiful building and very art deco. We enjoyed a wonderful lunch with delicious food and great service. WE were lucky enough to meet one of the present owners who was several generations down from the original owners. The ambience of the restaurant is superb and the whole experience a highlight of our four week trip. Thanks Le Francais. PottyaboutParis.

• Visited October 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Never thought I would have bad Poulet de Bresse, until I came across this place.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2011

Wow.   What a disappointment!  I've been traveling to this part of France  on a regular basis for 10 years.  So I know the regions cuisine.   Love Poulet de Bresse.  If it's on the menu, it  usually ends up on my plate.   I can honestly say this was the worse I've ever had.

I came here after reading the Trip Advisor reviews.  Top rated in Bourg, must be great.  It was served in the typical fashion with cream sauce and rice.  Showed up on my table way to soon after the appetizer.  Wasn't hot.  It was obviously not prepared to order but strangely overcooked and slightly dry.  The cream sauce was flavorless as was the rice.  Oh and the waitstaff is snooty even though I spoke to them in French.

Strangely, the place was crowded on the Wednesday in December I was there.  They are definitely resting on a reputation earned long ago.  Next time I am in the area I will go back to Le Bressan just a few blocks away. Their Poulet de Bresse is awesome and served with a smile.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Chiang Mai, Thailand
“ALWAYS GOOD There”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

I used to go there since i was young . the Food is always very good and fresh , This is a very traditional Restaurant with traditional Food From Bresse . ? Very large WIne list . The service is very professional .

• Visited July 2011
“Great food, nice place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

We have had such a good meal in this discreet restaurant when we stop by Bourg for a business meeting. In this area famous for good food, we took the delicious "poulet a la creme" and blueberry pies for dessert, and a sauvigny wine bottle: just perfect for not much than 30€ per person! We strongly recommend this place.

Monteverde
“Best chicken in the world in a relaxing festival atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2011

Strongly recommend dining for lunch in the open air portion of this old favorite. Chicken (poulet de bresse) lives up to its fame. Pris fixe choices seemed the best value (we had the excellent frog legs and creme caramel)

• Visited May 2011