“Good location, free parking, free wifi, and a good breakfast” 4 of 5 stars

Le Parc des Marechaux
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6 Avenue Foch, 89000 Auxerre, France   |
Ranked #3 of 23 Hotels in Auxerre
California
“Good location, free parking, free wifi, and a good breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

We arrived in the middle of a torrential downpour--not a good beginning, but the reception was warm and we were offered help with our luggage if we needed it. Our room was on the second floor and overlooked the park in the back. Although it was a tight fit, the room was comfortable. Both the bed and linens were clean and soft. There wasn't much space between the bed and the bathroom door, which made for interesting times, as did the hand-held shower, My favourite part of our room had to be the large old windows that opened onto the picturesque park. They were needed as the room was very dark despite turning on all the lights. When it stopped raining, we managed to sit on the patio with a bottle of wine we bought elsewhere (10 Euros corkage fee). The staff were helpful and courteous, if not well-informed. We were told there were no celebrations for summer solstice when, in fact, La Fete de la Musique was going on all over town that evening. Oops. Best to go to the tourist information center for reliable information. Breakfast each day began with delicious coffee and warmed milk. The breakfast buffet was good-tasting, plentiful, and there was a variety of food from which to choose. We never went hungry! The central location made it very easy to walk into the center of town. I loved that we had to drop off the key each time we left and that the rooms had names, not numbers. We stayed in Mortier, which I recommend. I wouldn't hesitate to stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the park at the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

A 2 night, 2 room stay to visit vineyards in the area. The hotel is in a quiet location on the Northern edge of the old town. Within easy walking distance of the picturesque town and its many restaurants. Rooms furnished in old style, very comfortable, with good bathroom facilities. Weather was very good so were able to enjoy a good breakfast in the peaceful/pretty gardens. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful, and all spoke English. We were given a very warm welcome by Rosemary ( a Brit), who was particularly helpful with the original booking to meet our requirements, as we understand not all the rooms are the same. There are good car parking facilities for a hotel so close to the centre. We had a very enjoyable stay.

Stayed June 2013
Witney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

An excellent hotel near the centre of Auxerre with a high standard of service. Within easy walking distance of lots of restaurants. Managed by a very efficient and friendly multi lingual person who goes out of her way to ensure your stay is comfortable. Rooms are elegant and spotless.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

I fell in love with this hotel and the town of Auxerre from the first time I discovered them many years ago. The hotel is uniquely charming, its garden setting an oasis of charm calm and beauty. The staff is friendly, helpful and fluent in English. The hotel's charm includes free parking, reasonably-priced accommodations, rooms named after marshals of France and a location within walking distance of other points of Auxerre. One of my fondest memories is a visit coinciding with a music festival. One of the performers was lodged at the hotel and played the piano for the guests. If I arrive in Paris, le Parc des Marechaux is my first stop. If I leave from Paris, I always arrange to spend 2 or 3 days there.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

An absolutely charming gem. Situated in a park-like garden on the outskirts of Auxerre. Large (at least I had one) rooms, well-furnished with period pieces. Quiet an airy. Very good breakfast - for France! :-)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

We chose this hotel as we were looking for somewhere to stay with parking whilst close to the town centre. The parking was within the hotel grounds on a side area which was fine, although there wasn't an abundance of spaces which may prove a problem if the hotel was fully booked. The walk into the town centre took 5-10 mins. There are some stairs from the garden to the reception area although this wasn't a problem for us.

The room we had was located at the rear of the building overlooking the gardens and was quiet.
My general feeling would be that although our room was clean it was quite small along with too many pieces of furniture making it quite difficult to open suitcases and manoeuvre. The sofa bed was also very hard.

We opted for the breakfast which was continental style with no hot options and the breakfast room was small and awkward.

Whilst the staff were pleasant I do feel the decor in the hotel is very tired in parts: one particular chandelier was hanging very low from the ceiling by a loose wire which hit my head a couple of times -

I feel the hotel is overpriced and doesn't justify 4 stars!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Solothurn, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

A pebbled path leads from the parking to the hotel door and then up a couple of steps to reception. This was not very convenient for someone arriving in heels with a large laptop bag and a suitcase, after a very long drive.
The staff is very friendly and helpful, also fluent in English.
The hotel is very well located within walking distance to the center of town.
I was given a corner room, facing a bit of parking area and the park. The room was charming in some ways but at the same time very dark.
The bathroom wasn't thouroughly cleaned as I found some strange hair here and there.
The big disappointment was a hand-held shower though.
The walls of the rooms are so thin, that I could hear my neighbour snoring.
Breakfast was good, but basic. Enough for me to eat to satisfy my tummy, but not enough for the price asked.
If I end up in Auxerre again, I might stay there again as it was nice, but I would probably rather be tempted to stay elsewhere instead.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to Le Parc des Marechaux? Share your experiences!