“Fawlty Towers hits St Malo!” 1 of 5 stars

Add it.
No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Saint-Malo
Hotel Ferry Emeraude
2, rue Le Pomellec, 35400 Saint-Malo, France   |
Ranked #74 of 80 hotels in Saint-Malo
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Fawlty Towers hits St Malo!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Yes, it's true. There is a French equivalent of the classic 1970s sitcom and it's just by the ferry terminal in St Malo. Awful doesn't begin to describe it. It's almost a theme park of 1970s hotel horror, the kind of place you thought had long been consigned to history.
Where to begin? Perhaps with the hang-dog owners, who look like they wouldn't turn down any reasonable offer to buy the place lock, stock and barrel should you have a few spare Euros to discard. Their thin smiles and demands to pay on arrival should've warned me, but by then it was almost too late. Insanely - or perhaps out of twisted curiosity - I ordered the breakfast. More of that later.
The bedroom was a carnival of filth, from the unidentifiable insects crawling over the beds to the aggressive mould hanging out in the shower. The shower itself was a black plastic pipe and the towel is better described as a dishcloth. Outside was noisy, but I wasn't too bothered about that. In fact, I was relieved to hear human voices on the wind, reassuring me that I'd not actually died and been transported to hell in a flea-ridden pit of a bed. Bad dreams - featuring a tall, manic hotel owner battering a poor Spanish waiter with a frying pan - punctuated my sleep.
In the morning and after the shower, which was more of a spit, I took my leisure in the hotel lounge and awaited breakfast. This consisted of a loaf of bread, a knife and a eclectic selection of dusty condiments. I made my excuses, sawed off a slice of my tongue and ate that instead. Boy, it was good!
In short, not a place I'll be frequenting regularly, though it was a memorable experience. Strange how the 70s weren't as good as I'd remembered them...

Room Tip: There is a park bench on the grass outside - highly recommended
Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

24 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Bristol, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

We chose this hotel last minute to avoid a six-hour drive through the night back to catch ferry at 10am. Should have checked with Trip Advisor but just booked last minute. Our little girl walked in and said: "We aren't staying here, it's dirty." And I'm not super cleaning woman. She was right. The bones of the building are beautiful, 1930's lovely stairs and size of rooms but the sheer neglect destroy any trying to look beneath the surface. The place has not been touched since about early 1970. There are event posters curling on the wall from decades back. The walls are tacky, like the carpets. Our room at the top had clean sheets. I did notice something crawl in daughter's bed. Not sure what it was. Decided to brush them off without saying anything to her. Bathroom had very old shower - the hose was a piece of black plastic. We had breakfast, I didn't, nor did daughter but did have cup of tea from pot dusted with fingerprints. The owners look totally as if they have had enough. They hardly spoke. If this place was gutted and new energy brought in, it's a convenient hotel minutes from port and walking distance from beautiful St Malo. There is the traffic to contend with but that's a hotel near a port and city. One final nail in the coffin was we left in such haste I forgot our daughter's favourite small teddy and her special silk piece of blanket she still likes to sleep with. I sent the owner an email offering 10 Eurio to pay for its return. She did not reply. I wrote another more formal letter with the help of a fluent French friend. This time she replied asking for 20 Euro. While we though this was a rip off, it was our daughter's beloved teddy, so agreed. Asked for her name and proper address. She never replied, to this or two other emails. We've given up. Don't got there.

Room Tip: Avoid at all costs until it's completely gutted and new owners.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

what a mistake booking here was - 70 euros and the room stank. There were seven flies buzzing around the most disgusting, broken light that hung dismally from the ceiling. The carpet stuck to your shoes. The bathroom was filthy - good job I had my anti bacterial wipes from a camping trip with me. There was no parking. The shower curtain was black at the bottom and I felt like I was breathing in typhoid when I used the shower. I wouldn't let my son sleep inside the sheets and after I did found three flea bites on me next day. The 'landlady' shrugged when I told her it was dirty. The evening continued to get better and better when the people in the next room returned and kept me awake due to the loudness of there conversation and the thinness of the walls. Spend an extra 5 euros and stay in a gorgeous hotel within the city walls!

Room Tip: don't book here - it stinks
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

Not a good place to stay, the bins were not emptied from the last occupants of the room, the plastic shower hose leaked, the carpets were minging and there was so much dust on the glass table you could draw a picture in it and the sink was cracked. Overpriced and yuck, there was no parking nearby either. It was handy for the ferry terminal but that is the only plus point, thank goodness we didn't book breakfast....

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

We travelled by train from Saintes to catch the ferry to Guernsey. We stayed at this hotel by recommendation from the taxi driver who picked us up from the train station. We are off to St Malo again in 2013 and will be booking a hotel ahead this time. The only plus side to this hotel was that it was within walking distance to the Ferry terminal. The landlady was not pleasant or helpful at all, and she spoke English well, so language was not an issue. Rooms were dirty and bedding was questionable. Date of travel was June 2009 not 2012 but couldn't change it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Dorset, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

We needed to spend a night in Saint Malo before getting an early ferry. This hotel is very basic and I wouldn’t go again. The walls were very thin and we heard people noisily coming in late. It’s only advantage was that it was a few minutes from the ferry terminal. It cost 70€ for the night excluding city tax.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Keith
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for one night recently, and as I was travelling with my elderly father, I was a bit alarmed by the reviews. Ok, the hotel was shabby, and the room was tiny - but it was ok. The breakfast was ok too.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Ferry Emeraude? Share your experiences!