“Top norch, best meal” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 315 Restaurants in Saint-Malo
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Come discover an instinctive yet mastered cuisine, which allows Bordier butters to express themselves with seasonal products. The 'Bistro Autour du Beurre' offers you ideas full of freshness. Our Chef Steve Delamaire cooks with local fishing and market products which features Bordier butters. A unique and historic place, mixing raw, design and second-hand materials. You can privatize the 'Bistro' with a menu discussed with the Chef, or organize a lively 'wine-cheese reception' (40 covers seated, 55 standing).
“Top norch, best meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

One of the best eats I had in a while

We started with the little puff pastries coated with different cheese and served with root crisps, which went down fast.
Then a cold melon soup with iberico ham and green asparagus tip. Very good idea. I will steal it
My starter was pan-fried foie gras which was succulent and melted in my mouth. My friend had pan-fried squid which was also very good.
Both of us had the red mullet, which was very yummy and juicy.
My desert was financier with chocolate. Very soft cake.
And the best things were the butters! My god they are amazing. Comes with different flavour and I could’ve have eaten them all if not for the starter and main course.
The butter with smoked salt was my favourite. I also like the spicy one and the olive one. Nonetheless all of them are so good and fresh.

the restaurant itself is not very big but very cozy.

The only criticize I can give was the potato fondant was a bit too crispy for my liking and there was no camembert that night…
C’est tout

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Plymouth, Michigan, United States
“Butter Mecca”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

After a week dining on foie gras and other fatty delights in France, an appetiser plate containing 8 different flavors of the famous house butter with french bread was a very interesting and tasty change and equally as indulgent. Although the butter draws people here, the food was also very well prepared and delicious. Topping off the meal, we were given a sack of sea salt caramels made with the house brand butter. They were the best I've ever tasted!

Visited June 2013
Pleneuf-Val-Andre, France
“A new favourite in Saint Malo !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We were in Saint Malo today and wanted to try something more funky and less touristic than the standard large bistrots (some of which are very nice, but just not what we felt like). And while looking, went to buy butter at Bordier's (La Maison du Beurre - simply the best butter in the world) and discovered they've opened a small (23 covers) bistrot next to the shop. Truly wonderful - standard bistrot fare, well prepared, in a very pleasant setting. Excellent wines. A very welcome change (and certainly not the last time we'll visit). Just one thing to watch out for : you are offered a choice of 8 Bordier butters with your meal. And it's (for us, at least) impossible not to try all eight - and then eat a bit more of the three or four favourites. I underline that the presence of the butter is not in the dishes : simple lack of self control on our part.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Princeton, New Jersey
“A Unique Breton Choice (but bring an angioplasty kit)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

We eat when we travel not only because we have to, but because it gives us opportunity to sample what is unique about the local cuisine - this restaurant gives you the chance to do exactly that and does it very well. I had read that in addition to mussels and oysters, Brittany was known for its butter, but I had no idea that there would be an entire shop, museum and restaurant devoted to Breton butter (and other dairy) in St. Malo, when I stumbled upon this associated museum, shop and restaurant. After touring the museum outlining the thousands of years of butter's history on our tables (it was actually very well done, in excellent English too) and taking in the magnificent cheeses and dairy products of the shop, I walked next door to the Bistro. Here you get to taste many of the unique products the shop is selling. There was a fixed price lunch menu available including (1) delicious bread with a spread of seven(!) different unique Breton butters (see picture attached) any one of which would have been worth talking about, (2) a spreadable pate of sorts the makeup of which i was uncertain but the taste of which was superb, (3) an excellent cheese platter with all manner of local cheeses I had not had before and (4) a tasty desert ice with kiwis in it. The service was excellent - I was quickly and efficiently tended to. I travel a lot and eat out a lot and still I came away from this with a smile and a sense that I did something uniquely local,

• Visited August 2012