“A truly lovely hotel with a fantastically helpful owner.” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Elizabeth
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 rue des Cordiers, 35400 Saint-Malo, France   |
Ranked #48 of 85 Hotels in Saint-Malo
Shropshire
“A truly lovely hotel with a fantastically helpful owner.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2009

We stayed at this hotel as part of our honeymoon and were so glad that we did. I was a little dubious at first as coming from a 4* + hotel in Jersey but this quirky 3* French hotel did not disappoint. Its location inside the city walls was ideal and the reception was clean, bright and welcoming. They had no parking availiable but this was not a problem as there are plenty of car parks just outside the walls and the hotel sold parking tickets at a redcued daily rate. The room was very clean with lovely decor, simple yet tasteful. As it was our honeymoon, when we arrived in our room we were greeted with a complimetary bottle of champagne which was a lovely gesture. However what made our stay most special was the wonderful owner of the hotel. He speaks excellent English and happily shared with us the best things to do to make the most of our short stay in St Malo. He also offered to advise us on the best places to eat depending on what we were after and even booked us a table at one of his favourite restaurants. I would recommend this small hotel to any couple wanting a lovely place to stay in St Malo.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2009

We arrived in St Malo on the ferry from Jersey with my husband's parents, and we had a rough start as we got lost trying to walk to the hotel. When we finally got there in a taxi, we were a bit bedraggled. Jean, the owner, made us feel so welcome. Somehow our reservation had not made it into the system, but Jean fixed us up with very nice rooms. He then gave us advice on where to go for dinner, which was an excellent recommendation. Jean also spent time with us to give an overview of where to go in St Malo, giving us great directions.

This was my in-laws first trip to Europe, and they were nervous--Jean was so welcoming and generous with his time, it was a fantastic introduction to the people of France. We will definitely stay there again. The hotel is charming!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
Winchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2009

A friend and I stayed five nights in this delightful small hotel where the owner, John Nicolas and his friendly team spared no effort to ensure we had a most enjoyable holiday. The location is good, away from the main noisy tourist area but convenient for specialist shops and restaurants. The rooms are comfortable and immaculate with little touches such as quality toiletries in the bathroom and tea and coffee making facilities. Interesting furniture, modern art and small sculptures enhance the general environment. The breakfast room is charming and provides freshly made fruit salad, cheese, ham, yoghurt, really fresh boiled eggs and the most delicious tiny buttery croissants. We were given much useful information about places to visit, how to get there and which restaurants were recommended. Consequently we had a full and interesting programme and some real "gourmet" experiences. I would thoroughly recommend the hotel to anyone wanting a special break-away.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
Buckingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2009

We stayed at the Hotel Elizabeth before catching the ferry on the next day. When we arrived after driving up from the Loire we were very pleased with the welcome and hospitality displayed by the lady who checked us in and helped us with a dinner reservation (the Bouche en Folie is excellent). The reception of the hotel looked clean and welcoming and we had high expectations of the hotel after reading some positive reveiws on trip advisor. We had even managed to get a car parking space right outside the hotel (2euros an hour).

We stayed on the ground floor in Chambre #1 in the Skipper which is an annexe to the hotel around the corner. The very helpful receptionist showed us to our room and offered any further assistance that we required. We cannot praise her highly enough. Unfortunately this is where the positive nature of our stay ended.

Chambre #1, and I can only assume the rest of the rooms in the Skipper are the same, was small with some some extremely dodgy looking polystyrene ceiling tiles that looked as though they had stepped right out of the 1970s. Some attempt had been made to update the room with a newish TV and padded head board and what my wife in formed me was some 'nice' toiletries in the bathroom. The bathroom was small and there appeared to be no real ventilation which explained the mould which covered the wooden frame and slats of the window and the edge of the mirror.

My wife and I had a very pleasant evening in St Malo, which is a beautiful town/city, but when we returned the troubles continued. I had probably my most uncomfortable night's sleep in a hotel anywhere. As with many hotels, there was a padded valance/sheet under the top sheet. However, this appeared to made entirely of plastic and 'crackled' every time either of us moved. It also made you sweat profusely as there was nowhere for the heat to esacpe. Eventually we had to remove the sheet and was able to snatch some sleep, despite the street light outside the room which also illuminated things nicely and my feet hanging off the end of what felt like a very short bed (I am 6' 2").

We awoke after very little sleep to get ready for the day's ferry. I won't tell you what I found on my towel as I dried, but it was short and curly! As we checked out I explained my concerns to the gentlemen behind reception who was, I assume, the owner. He was very apologetic at first when I explained about the uncomfortable bed and suggested that the sheet may have been placed on upside down. He became very defensive ,however, when I explained about the mould in the bathroom and said that he had never had any complaints about that room before and that all the trip advisor postings were very positive.

When I suggested that I was not willing to pay the full room rate for what had been a very unsatisfactory stay, his whole attitude and tone changed and he intimated that we were making these things up so that we could pay less. The conversstion ended with him cancelling our bill and shouting at me as I walked out of the hotel! A sorry end to what had been a very good holiday.

In summary, if you want to stay at the Hotel Elizabeth, ensure you stay in the main section of the Hotel, which by all accounts is very nice and comfortable, or make sure that you lower your expectations about the standards of comfort and service that you should receive if you stay in the Skipper.

I am please to say that during the ferry crossing we were able to catch up on some more comfortable sleep and received some excellent service throughout the ship - how it should be.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Hawaii
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2009

The location of this hotel is great. It is located within the walls of Saint-Malo. Although they advertise parking, do not count on it. When we arrived, we were informed that the manager had to park our rental car but he was not around so we were told to park outside the walled city. Easier said than done. Parking outside the city can be tricky as they fill up quickly. Also, please note that if you need to leave prior to 10 a.m. there is no parking attendant and you need to use the ticket machine to exit. In our case, we had to leave at 6a.m. to return to Rennes but ran into a problem with our ticket. Basically, the ticket machine could not read our ticket and there was no attendant there. After about a half hour, we were able to talk to someone through the intercom at the gate using my broken French to explain that the ticket was not working. In the end, he just buzzed us out for free. Yipee!

As for the room ... it did not have a/c so we opened the one window in it and suffered through a night full of squawking birds and loud mopeds.

• Stayed July 2009
PARIS
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2009

it is a beautiful hotel and very comfortable. breakfast was good. most of the staff were excellent.

the bathroom had missed out on several overhauls. there was no window & ventilation was inadequate. sleeping with an open window was impossible thanks to a nearby bar, who's punters were very noisy when they left.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Southern California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2009

My husband and I just returned from 6 nights in St. Malo. He was attending a solar wind confernce and I was on vacation. Our stay at the Hotel Elizabeth within the walled city of St. Malo was wonderful. The hotel is in a great location. The hotel owner is extremely friendly and helpful, providng wonderful suggestions for restaurants. His breakfast is great too! Our room #407 had a nice view of the harbor and the side streets of the city. The only down side is the noise from the seagulls during the night.
I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Elizabeth? Share your experiences!