“Low price = poor quality” 2 of 5 stars

Hotel Ar Terra Nova
and 1 more site!
You added Hotel Ar Terra Nova to your Saves list
Hotel Ar Terra Nova
8 Rue Godard | St Servan, 35400 Saint-Malo, France (Formerly Hotel de la Poste)   |
Ranked #19 of 46 Saint-Malo B&B and Inns
Wimborne Minster, United Kingdom
“Low price = poor quality”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

Underwhelming is how you can best describe this cheap hotel. Booking in Feb we were Just too late to book a hotel in the old town & ended up here on the last night of a cycle tour. The secure area ( as confirmed in advance by the manager) for our expensive cycles, turned out to be a tiny non secure courtyard with no cover & it rained. Our room on the top floor was tiny & although clean the decor was poor & in great need of a refurb. We ate at the restaurant in the evening - the female waitress was very helpful & polite the manager less so. Food was ok but nothing to write home about. Breakfast was completely disorganised. We ate in a rush as the manager showed up late & scurried about with neither a smile nor an apology. Some guests simply gave up & left as they were worried about missing the ferry. Do yourself a favor if you visit this interesting town, book early and give hotels like this one a miss!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Merthyr Tydfil
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011

My wife and myself stayed here for one night before taking the morning ferry back to Portsmouth. The Hotel is very tired and could do with some serious upgrades!!

On the plus side the Receptionist was very helpful and our third floor, ensuite room was very small but clean. We also had an evening meal at the Hotel and that was very good.

However, it was not until after we had gone to bed that the problems started - as the Hotel was on a public road, there was quite a lot of traffic and pedestrian noise, because the rooms were very warm we had to have the windows open and the noise from a nearbye party, from 1000pm 'til 0500am, was a real nuisance.

The real problem occured at 0600am, when I was awaken by my wifes screams, to find a strange woman standing at the bottom of our bed!!! Had she not had put her hands up as I rushed at her I dread to think what I would have done, as I thought my wife was being attacked!! She fled from our room immediately screaming, in broken English, that she was "sorry, wrong room!!"

Apparently not all rooms at the Hotel were ensuite and as the WC was next to our room in the corridor I can only presume that she had wandered into our room by mistake. My wife assured me that she had locked our room door but when I tried to lock it after the "visitor" had left it was very difficult to lock and took several attempts to lock.

Definitely will not be using this Hotel again, despite its close proximity to the Ferry Port.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Weymouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2010

I booked this hotel on a Sunday when travelling on the Wednesday, so pretty late really, after searching through loads of hotels (many full up), I stumbled across the 'Hotel de la Poste' and booked after seeing the price really. Our Condor ferry got us in four hours late (diverted via Jersey) so we reached the hotel one hour after the 9pm booking in time. With the prospect of sleeping on the streets, I pressed the intercom and explained the situation, the manager simply gave us the door code, told us our room number and where to find the key, perfect!
I would advise purchasing ear plugs wherever you go, but in this case because there's a church nearby which chimes every quarter, half and on the hour. The walls are very thin so doors slamming and toilets flushing can still be heard. The décor needs addressing but you have to remember you're only paying a very small amount per night. The bed was very comfortable and we were supplied with extra bedding in case the nights got too cold. We had a basic en-suite shower which did the job, and there was a shared toilet in the corridor outside (other rooms have an en-suite toilet if available).
The Wi-Fi was present throughout the hotel and although you could access it, you couldn't browse the net so it was pretty useless really. There was an LCD TV on the wall but every channel was in French which seemed a little pointless.
The hotel is situated 20 minutes walk away from the Citadel and 25 minutes away from the train station. There's also a high street really close by that has a café, supermarket, delicatessen, butchers etc.
All in all, the Hotel de la Poste offers a no frill, cheap and convenient option. We used the hotel just to sleep in as we were out all day so it was perfect for our requirements.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Ar Terra Nova? Share your experiences!