“Angelina Hotel Rennes-France” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #54 of 67 Hotels in Rennes
Rennes, France
“Angelina Hotel Rennes-France”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

The hotel was very, very central to the city center...actually smack dab in the middle. My room #306, had a nice view of the city with a window that opened to face the city center. It was clean and comfortable. The carpets are a little worn and so was the sitting chair. But the bathroom was clean, and looked as though it might have been newly renovated with a very nice size shower. The hair dryer was tricky to maneuver as it was just a long hose that wouldn't stay locked in place and on, and it wasn't very strong. Wish I had brought my own.The hotel has a lift and you have to go to the 3rd floor to check in. Tricky finding the entrance. It is next to the burger place. There is a keypad that you have to press the arrow up until it says Angelina, then press the button that looks like a bell then get buzzed in. I did not have any problem getting back into the building late, someone is always at the desk to buzz you in even at 1 a.m. The staff was very friendly and helpful.

The hotel has a breakfast area behind the front desk. I was at a conference so I didn't eat there, but it's 7.50 euros if you want to, but I suggest running across the street to the Lafayette Grocery and Dept Store to grab the same breakfast at their bakery (croissant and juice) for much less. The Internet has a passcode and is not very strong in the evening. If you use up too many minutes, your "hours" and access info will expire and you will need to go to the front desk to ask for another login passcode. Tip: Be sure to log off internet when not there or overnight, that will save you from having to do that.

The hotel rates are very, very reasonable. I would definitely stay again if I returned.

THINGS TO DO AND GETTING AROUND
Metro is very easy, I was traveling to/from Renne 2 university. So much nicer and easier than Paris. If you are coming from Paris, airfares are the same as train and more reliable. There was a strike going on when I was in Paris and they canceled my train ticket.

From Rennes Airport: I took the bus to get there, which drops off right across the street from hotel. However, I was leaving back to airport on a Sunday, and the bus only runs every hour. It is not at the main bus stop (across from hotel entrance), the stop is one street down from the burger place, and across the street on a side street. I ended up taking a cab that cost me 20 euro because I missed the bus.

Where to Eat in Rennes: Cafe's are everywhere, even next to hotel. Walk 2 or 3 streets past the bus station (past Lafayette) and to the left there is a small open surrounded by cafes. Warning: If you get there late, not one cafe sells menu food until after 7 or even 8 p.m. However, I had the absolutely best pizza at le Cinque, which is 2 doors down from the hotel. You can get a Demi pizza (half pizza) for 8.50 euros. For some very, very French food and a truly French eating experience try Le tire Bouchon, it's near the medieval section of town.

Music: Le Cave is a must visit. Live bands (jazz, blues, even open mic). It is right next to the carousel in the city hall square. It is literally bar in a cellar or "cave." They also have food I think, but we just went for the wine and entertainment. We went on open mic night and there was a jazz band hosting, and another night was swing with a rock feel (think Stray Cats meets Elvis), really fun.

Historical Sites and Great Walks:
1. Visit the Parc du Thabor. I missed this, walked up to entrance but was late for a dinner, but many of my colleagues said the park is breakthtaking. It's about a 5-10 min walk from hotel. Even the entrance was pretty.
2. Medieval section near old drawbridge is very historical. There is a Saturday fresh market every Saturday nearby that has been going on there for hundreds of years.
3. Great vintage shops if you like that
4. Lafayette Dept. Store, 20, 40, and 50% discounts on designer clothes. There are also a lot of other designer shops around.

Room Tip: I was in room 306. If you like a view, ask for that room or similar facing city center. Don't if...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Drayton Parslow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

The absolute positive is that it's in Rennes centre and is ideally placed for the TGV station (via a little underground which is opposite the hotel), for the old part of the town centre, and for restaurants/bars. Another positive is the plentiful breakfast in a bright and modern room, that the check-in/out was the simplest and swiftest ever, and that when the lift broke with my friend in it, and I had to wrench the doors open to get her out, they had an engineer in within twenty minutes who was fixing it. It is, however, the smallest lift in the world, the three of us had to go up separately, well I made the third floor unscathed, one friend got stuck and the other had to walk up three flights of stairs with luggage because one was stuck in the lift. Anyway, the rooms are very tired, need a coat of paint, don't need dark green office carpet tiles on the floor and halfway up the walls (my room, didn't see any others), probably need to update the bathroom furniture as well, I'm not sure toilet roll holders fashioned as ash trays are quite the thing for this decade (or even the previous two decades). The bedding was clean though and the bed comfortable. The outside of the hotel looks smart but investment is needed inside in all areas that I saw. The final point is that the hotel is on the third floor, there are other businesses/apartments beneath it and you enter the building via a phone/interlock thing (that threw us completely after a long day of travel) and into a dingy entrance hall and the smallest lift in the world.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Guernsey, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

The location is great, walking distance to the city centre. Parking (public) outside. The rooms are cheap and a good size. It's fairly typical of a French city centre hotel - creaky floors and thin walls.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
South Wales
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Is this really a hotel?
From the street, you can't see inside. There's a heavy wooden door with electric locks. A fading notice tells you to press number keys on an intercom and, after a while, the thing buzzes and you can get in. There is no-one inside the gloomy entrance hall. There is, however, another miserable-looking notice. This one is above a narrow door which opens to reveal one of the smallest lifts intended to carry people. You step inside, the metal door grinds shut and you feel like a character in Franz Kafka's 'The Trial'. What next?

The lift stops on the third floor and you're in a corridor. It looks grey and institutional - like a boarding school for young offenders. There is one member of staff - a tired-looking young man behind a desk with a grimy computer from the 1980s. Some Moroccan students are arguing with him about their bill. From time to time, you hear voices of other young people, different languages. No-one seems happy.

The bedroom is furnished with junk - cheap stuff that is scratched, chipped and worn out. There is a notice on the wall telling you what must not be flushed down the toilet - with pictures!

My wife and I stayed in this place because our car had broken down and this is what the motoring organisation had found for us. We had no choice. I have no idea how much it cost to stay the night. It should be very cheap.

In its favour, there was no time-wasting formality or bureaucracy in this hotel. The man at the desk, though seriously stressed, is in control and easy-going. He has my sympathy and more than a little admiration.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington, DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2011

I spent one night in a double for single use at the Angelina Hotel. Very well located for visiting Rennes (roughly at the center of a walkable triangle formed by the old town, museums, and Parc Thabor), the Angelina is a quirky place. After being buzzed into a dark and rather uninviting lobby, one can take a tiny elevator (no complaints – it held me and my suitcase!) to the hotel, where a cordial greeting awaits. I was a bit surprised to be asked if I wanted to pay even before being given a chance to see my room, but when I said I would prefer to see the room first, I encountered no objections.

My room held the double bed I expected to see and (to my surprise) another smaller bed and a love seat that could convert to a mattress for 2 more people. Add in a desk and chair, and the otherwise large room did not feel spacious. On the other hand, I didn’t feel cramped - there was more than enough room for me. The décor struck me as an odd mix of outdated country and college dorm styles with a few more recent updates, but it was clean and had some welcoming touches, like an electric kettle with supplies for making tea or coffee. The beds were dressed with bolsters; regular pillows were in a closet. The bath/shower area was tiny and had very little counter space, but the towels were good-sized. The shower provided nicely hot water at a pressure that was satisfactory, if just barely.

The room also had a pleasant, if tiny (step out only), balcony overlooking an interesting central avenue. It was surprisingly quiet, although it did let in some sound. i woke up several times during the night, but was always able to get right back to sleep.

Breakfast was served in a bright, simply, pleasantly decorated room. The buffet selection wasn’t extensive, but it included a satisfying and tasty array of options.

If you drive to Rennes, be forewarned that the parking lot just outside the hotel was quite expensive. And note that many of the streets near the hotel are one-way only or are reserved for busses, taxis, and emergency vehicles.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2010

As a family of three adults, we were looking for a hotel near the Rennes shopping district, that was fairly inexpensive and easy to get to. We found that in Angelina Hotel: right next to the buses, close to the subway, near to public parking, and just a short walk from the stores.

The hotel is easy to find, although the entrance (a rather shabby door on the ground floor of a commerical building) is easy to overlook. The hallway was also shabby and run down, as was the inside of the elevator to the hotel office. I was starting to wonder what we'd gotten ourselves into, when the elevator opened to reveal a clean, light and nicely decorated registration area.

The courteous desk clerk assigned us to a family sized room upstairs. It proved to be a really lovely, spacious room, charmingly decorated, with a good sized bathroom, and lined with big windows that offered a panoramic sunset view of downtown Rennes. Delightful!

The only fly in the ointment----and it's a significant one----was the late night noise outside. Rennes is a university town, and it truly sounded as if there was a huge late-night wild party going on just outside----for hours. I don't know if that sort of noise goes on out there every night (this was a November weeknight), but we got little sleep, even with all the windows tightly closed. I loved the hotel itself, but I don't think I'd go back there without a really good set of ear plugs!

• Stayed November 2009

Been to Angelina Hotel? Share your experiences!