“A modern touch in an ancient town.” 5 of 5 stars

Up To -30% Off Room Rate
Ranked #8 of 23 Hotels in Quimper
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Brisbane, Australia
“A modern touch in an ancient town.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

The friendliness of the reception staff and keenness to oblige was exceptional. When I left some items in my room, it was very pleasing to have them posted to me.....many thanks to the staff for that. I really liked the unusualness of the hotel's modern décor, particularly encountering it in contrast to the very ancient attractiveness of Quimper itself. I was travelling with a group and I was aware of a few comments about the air-conditioning not operating, but fortunately my room (top level overlooking the back of the hotel) was quite comfortable, so no complaint from me about the temperature....our stay was in early June and the weather was mild. Breakfasts were just great.....I would certainly stay here again if I ever revisit Quimper.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

This is a really difficult hotel to rate, thanks to France's unusual way of ranking its hotels. Classed as a 4 star, in most other countries I've visited it would be a 3-star. That's simply because it lacks most of the things you'd expect from a 4-star hotel - a quality restaurant, a classy bar or two and so on.

It the Kregenn had been a 3-star, I would've rated it much better. But judging it against 4-star hotels elsewhere in the world, I can only give it a 3 rating on this site.

That's not to say I didn't enjoy my stay. The hotel has excellent, friendly staff who know how to deliver quality customer service. It's just a minute or two from the old city walls and the medieval heart of old Quimper, so very well located (although in a fairly drab side street). It has good parking, which you have to pay for, and is just around the corner from a great Breton bar (the Ceili) and a fine restaurant (the Erwan).

The hotel has a modern look and feel, our room was a good size with a bathroom that looked very new. Decoration and furnishings were OK. My partner and I slept well at night, this being a pretty quiet area, and cleaning could not be faulted.

Breakfast was a basic continental type, with a few paid for extras. At 13 euros, it was a bit steep.

Quimper itself in June was pretty quiet, especially on Sunday and Monday when you could hear a pin drop and many places were closed. Otherwise, it's a compact and pretty place and well worth a visit for a couple of days.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

We stayed on a warm night in June. The hotel decor etc. was fine if a little corporate - we didn't much like the uber trendy and ubder uncomfortable perspex chairs though. When we arrived at the hotel around 5'ish we mentioned to the concierge (on our way out to dinner) that the room was very hot, even with the windows open, and that the air-con didn't seem to be working - she assured us that someone would look at the controls in our absence.
We arrived back later to find that nothing had been done, and consequently had an uncomfortably hot night with consequent poor sleep - the last thing you want in a hotel. We complained about the room heat to a different concierge in the morning as we checked out - she said that the air-con was not switched on until late June no matter how hot it was. She said that we should have been offered portable air-con units the night before if we complained about the heat (which we did). Sadly we were not offered the service - so all in all we were very disappointed with our stay here and won't be back.

Room Tip: Make sure air-con is working!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Athlone, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Stayed for one night on a recent visit to Brittany. Hotel reception, clean and welcoming. Reception staff friendly. Requested non smoking room on arrival but when we got to room it was obvious previous guests smoked. Were given a different room immediately with apologies. No tea making facilities or safe in room. WiFi connection terrible. Room good size. Area outside hotel a bit ordinary but walking distance to all main attractions.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Columbia, SC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

We stayed here for a few nights on our last visit to France. The hotel rooms are your typical small French rooms with teeny tiny bathrooms. My only complaint is they didn't have body lotion in the bathrooms, and with all the travel I do that is one thing I count on my hotels to provide for me so it's one less thing I must take. The bed was comfortable, the breakfast was fine. It was a good location and easy to work to restaurants as well as the shopping areas. The service and front desk staff were outstanding.

Room Tip: Make sure you don't get a room above the bar at the front of the hotel. At this time of year we...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

We spent four nights in this hotel. The staff were warm, helpful and efficient. Check in/out was quick and painless. The hotel public areas were very clean and comfortable and our room and bathroom were spotless, well furnished and very comfortable. The parking is good although it is not free.
The staff could not do enough for us.
The hotel is in a very good location for exploring Quimper, the old town is about a 10 minute walk away.
I would highly recommend this hotel

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Plymouth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

First and foremost, all staff were professional and friendly. I would agree in general with the last 4 or 5 reviews.
The hotel has a pleasant ambience and is ideally situated for exploring Quimper. At a price, there is secure parking which unlike many French hotels is reasonably accessible (see Holiday Inn, Calais).
Public areas and bedrooms are well maintained and immaculately clean.
With no disrespect to the hotel it is difficult to imagine how it achieved a four stars that it proudly presents at the fron of the hotel. I can only guess that ‘free WiFi’ now warrants an extra star.
I would have no problem in recommending this hotel.

Room Tip: Check that Brittany Ferries is not going to play havoc with your travel arrangements i.e. closing do...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to BEST WESTERN Hotel Kregenn? Share your experiences!