“Large and busy restaurant, average food and service. Overpriced.” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #228 of 395 Restaurants in Clermont-Ferrand
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Deal, United Kingdom
“Large and busy restaurant, average food and service. Overpriced.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

My wife and I had an evening meal here and were attracted by the signs saying traditional food of the Auvergne and there seemed to be a buzz about the place (it was a nice evening so veryone was dining outside).
The staff were slightly over zealous in trying to be friendly but were stretched by the number of diners so there was no personal touch.
I ordered the regional hotpot which was pieces of boiled ham and vegetables, which although nice (the ham was fatty otherwise it would have been good), I feel was over priced at 21 euro's.
My wife ordered an entrecote steak which took ages to come and I suspect they forgot us as it was overdone and once again not what you would expect for 22 euro's.
The food was not bad enough to complain, although the staff did not ask either and left an empty beer glass on the table throught our meal, when we had switched to wine. !
For a meal here I would suggest taking the set menu and do not waste your money on the specialities of the restaurant.
I would not visit this restaurant again, there are too many others to choose from.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Cardiff
“Great Local Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I found this place by chance whilst walking near the cathedral. It had a quiet but busy buzz about it, and the staff appeared friendly. I find in retrospect that this place has some quite negative reviews, but I found the service fast, the food great and the staff friendly and very happy to indulge me in my French language rather than drop into English, as some waiters do.

I had a lovely main course of aligot (a cheesy, garlicky potato dish) with a selection of dried regional meats. A lovely dish with a few glasses of the local vin de pays. I'm always a sucker for regional specialities, and this was no disappointment.

For dessert a crème brulee, very nice and not too heavy.

Based on my experience I would recommend this restaurant. Everyone else I saw here seemed to be enjoying their evening and I noticed the waiters changing the dishes to suit the customer's requests.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Duncan, South Carolina
“Good food, good times”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

My group ate here on a recent business trip to Clermont Ferrand. We all ordered some form of steak, truffade, or both. None of us were disappointed! The food was delicious and we enjoyed it with some of the local wines. I will definitely return to L'Oustagou on my next trip to Clermont!

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Dublin, Ireland
“Good Food & Wine near the Cathedral.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

A group of about 6 of us ate in this restaurant. The food was very nice, mainly steaks done rare & medium. We drank a local Pinot Noir wine which was very nice indeed. We finished with a very nice cheese plate. Service was very friendly and efficient. Price was reasonable. One of our party left their reading glasses behind and when they arrived next day they were sitting waiting for him.

• Visited December 2012