“Pretty good” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Chabris, France
“Pretty good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

In the very pretty port of Saint Jean de Luz we were pleased to find this restaurant in a delightful ancient stone building between the beach and the town.
Another reviewer talks about staff attitude and at first we were considering moving on after a wait for service. We hung on and enjoyed a great sea food lunch of lobster and a crab gratin, washed down with a bottle of Entre Deux Mers.
The atmosphere was good, the food well done but the staff just a little too casual - I heard a few clients gently point out errors.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Lonodn
“Disastrous”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

We were so enthusiastic on arriving in St Jean de Luz and pleased also to find a table at what appeared to be a charming restaurant. In the event, my wife ordered crab and I the menu do jour. An eternity passed with other diners clearly having had to wait even longer. A waitress milled about aimlessly occasionally stopping to rudely rebuff the growing complaints at lack of food. No apology was ever forthcoming, simply limp excuses and references to an oblique kitchen mishap. My wife's crab arrived and, as it was a very warm day I persuaded her to start whilst I awaited my lunch. Needless to say, the crab was long finished before my Basque stew arrived, such that it was. All food was edible, crab even delicious. The stew was unspectacular. The service remained surly and impolite. We were so disappointed and disillusioned with St Jean we almost decided to travel back to Bordeaux from where we had travelled that morning. We did, however, find a charming lady in the tourist office who suggested we try Gauthary where we spent a delightful few days confirming that our experience in Saint-Jean did not typify Basque hospitality. There are a great many other charming places to see in the region and I truly hope this restaurant suffers the demise it deserves such that it no longer serves as a blight on them.

• Visited September 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
somerset
“A Tale of Two Visits!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

On our first visit to this restaurant , only a couple of tables were occupied on our arrival and we were warmly welcomed by "madame". An excellent 27 Euro menu provided a delicious plate of mixed seafood followed by an equally good hot lobster dish and ended with good desserts.
We were so enthusiastic about the restaurant that we decided on a return visit. We reserved a table on our way past the restaurant for a little bit later and went to have an 'aperitif' in the square.
On our return,we discovered that "our" table had been given to someone else and had to fight tooth and nail to get one we liked! On selecting the menu again we were very brusquely told that there was no more menu - funnily enough the chap next to us was still having it! The meal was fine but madame's attitude left a great deal to be desired on this occasion.. Admittedly it was Sunday evening and they had had a busy lunchtime session but it certainly didn't enthuse one for another evening.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
uk
“Good but not great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

We both liked the atmosphere and the waiters were efficient and courteous.It also has outside seating which is a must. As a couple visiting the restaurant our thoughts then differ. I had the fruits de mer followed by the lobster. I thought that both the starter and main course were excellent. The seafood was extremely fresh and appetising (they have a fish counter outside). My husband said his meal was OK!! He had the sardines followed by the tuna - the sardines were fine, but he has had better and the tuna was overdone. Would we go back? - I would, he would give it another go but without high expectations!!

• Visited June 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
France
“Unfriendly service and avoid the fruits de mer”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2009

We spent the night in St Jean de Luz and after having listened to a wonderful Basque choir found this restaurant for our evening meal.It looks really nice from the outside and as it was a warm evening we would have liked to sit outside. We instead had a small table inside but kept an eye on the tables in the front. When one became free, we asked a waiter if we could sit outside and he said yes, but was immediately contradicted by the senior waiter, who said the tables outside were all booked. We watched as a single man walked off the street and took the table, then 2 other couples left and no one filled the tables. We again asked and were again told no, they were all already booked. People left and the tables were never filled - we were very polite and are fluent french speakers so I don't know what the problem was. The wine was passable and my husband had the menu at 12 euros, which was fine. I ordered fruits de mer, which was awful ! I had to ask for bread, and we both we had to ask for water. The fruits de mer consisted of 2 oysters, full of grit, some dried up shrimp, 2 bulots ( quite old I think ) , a couple of clams and a dozen small black shellfish,which were completely empty - I dug around as well as I could inside the shells but came up with nothing. The bill was slapped down on our table and no thankyou was given. I don't know quite what we did wrong - perhaps we were just english !

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere