“Great people, great place to stay.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ferme de Tayac

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Les Eyzies-de-Tayac-Sireuil
Ferme de Tayac
You added Ferme de Tayac to your Saves list
14 Rue de Tayac, 24620 Les Eyzies-de-Tayac-Sireuil, France   |
Stuttgart
“Great people, great place to stay.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

A great B&B with a lovely garden and pool area. The rooms are clean and comfortable. A refrigerator is available for guest use and the town has a laundry. The guests eat breakfast together and share stories of their travels. For dinner, downtown is walkable (about 15 minutes) and has parking for those who drive. To find the place, ask for the Les Eysies train station, drive past it to a yellow church and the B&B is just beyond that. The area is wonderful, full of chateaus, caves, rock shelters, charming towns, hiking, canoeing, markets, and places with activities for children. It is the area of foie gras and you will find foie gras on every menu. The owners are full of helpful information about the area. Highly recommend to stay here. The one downside is there is no air conditioning and if it gets above 30 C sleeping is a bit uncomfortable. I listed my sleep quality as low, but that is because of the heat, the room was clean and comfortable. Even so, I would stay here again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Tayacmike, Owner at Ferme de Tayac, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Dear PhotoGirl44
Thank you very much for this very nice review.
For those who were not aware of it, I'd like to point out that we "suffered ?" a prolonged heatwave across this part of France during your stay, and to alleviate the discomfort to some extent, we made electric fans available for the bedrooms. The rest of the house remained cool as ever !
I'm afraid there will never be airconditioning here, the buildings just do not lend themselves to it.
But once again, thank you for your positive review.
Kind regards,
Mike Lamars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Reading, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

We arrived at the B&B and were met by Suzanne and Mike who gave us the grand tour and told us about the history of Ferme De Tayac and how they restored it. They are the most friendly people you could hope to meet and made staying a real joy. The building itself is beautiful and the rooms are very large! We did not know what to expect from the B&B as we did not know anyone who'd been here before, but decided to take a chance on it and it was worth it. At breakfast all the guests sit down together and there is a wonderful friendly atmosphere between people and it is a great way to meet, share stories with and enjoy the company of other guests. Every moment was as enjoyable and relaxing as we'd hoped it would be. It was a true slice of heaven in the dordogne.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Tayacmike, Owner at Ferme de Tayac, responded to this review, August 4, 2013
Hi Ollie H and J
We thank you very much for your kind words, and for taking the trouble to post them.
As you were both really pleasant and open young people, we certainly enjoyed your company as well.
Wishing you both all the best in your future careers.
Kind regards,
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

My husband and I had the pleasure of staying at La Ferme de Tayac for a few days, two years in a row. Our most recent visit was in the context of our wedding, where we had booked the whole B&B for part of our family to stay at. Everyone enjoyed staying there immensely, citing the gorgeous garden, lovely pool and beautifully restored farm/monastery.

Suzanne and Mike were, as always, lovely hosts, making us feel welcome and at ease straight away.

For us, there is no better place to stay in the region if you are looking for calm, gorgeous surroundings while staying in a truly original, beautifully decorated building.

We can't wait to go back!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Tayacmike, Owner at Ferme de Tayac, responded to this review, August 4, 2013
Dear CheetahK
Thank you very much for your very kind words. We were very, very happy, welcoming you back, especially under those very romantic and memorable circumstances.
We felt part of the event, and relished every minute of it.
We wish both of you the happiest future possible.
Affectionately,
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

Heading out to the boonies in Aquitaine for a dose of pre-history, scenic medieval villages, pastoral countryside and chateaux in various states of repair seemed like a good idea and so I booked into the Ferme for 8 nights at the end of May hoping to avoid the summer touristic onslaught. Before I left, I did some research into the area but I found surprisingly little that was helpful out there other than the usual Frommer type summaries, so I had no specific plans once I got there. Getting to Les Eyzies is also an interesting proposition - everyone seemed to have arrived from different places from different directions - I took the TGV from Paris to Libourne, connected with the pokey local train to Sarlat, rented a car in Sarlat and retraced my steps on the road for 25km to the Ferme. Some people took the TGV to Bordeaux and drove from there, but they weren't happy about it. You can fly into Bergerac or Toulouse if you are coming from the right place and have the money. If I were doing it again, I would probably get off the local at Bergerac and rent a car there. Got to have a car.

There are no signs for the Ferme in Les Eyzies, but it is easy to find - just follow the sign for Tayac and the old fortified church at the end of the main road in Les Eyzies past the train station and it is right next door. Mike and Suzanne were there in the kitchen to greet me and I settled into my very pleasant room, comfortable bed, nice small bathroom with free-standing shower, plenty of light - a comfortable B&B type of room without the fussiness but with everything you need. When I checked in, the other guests were Australian and British, but the next week saw some New Zealanders and Americans as well. It is largely, but not exclusively, a middle aged crowd and everyone gets along pretty well. The property is beautiful (particularly in the sun), well landscaped, private and offers a nice pool which, as noted below, was aspirational only.

I don't know how better to put it, but during my 8 days there the weather generally sucked. I enjoyed the cold, but the persistent rain made a mess out of my thoughts of pastoral hikes in the verdant hills. All of this notwithstanding, Mike and Suzanne are excellent tour guides (although they can't agree much about how to get places) and if you pay attention to the places they list in their handout you will see pretty much everything that is interesting, scenic or cool within 75km. Throw away your tour book and listen to them - I wound up driving around little towns and bastides that nobody ever heard of. They know the restaurants too, although it is almost impossible to figure out which restaurant is open and when. They know where the good "markets" are and can point you to the little village populated by some decent artists up the road. They can let you in on local secrets like where to get gas and tell you which caves are good. They are interesting and funny people and I can't imagine having made this trip without their help and company. You can get really comfortable in this place even without being intrusive - toward the end of my stay, one guest actually thought that I had something to do with the running of this place. When it is cold, Mike fires up the wood stove in the living area. Informal cocktails among the guests at 5:30.

I will say that after 8 straight days, I would have enjoyed some variation from the standard breakfast of fresh bread and croissant, coffee, cold cereal selection, something that looked like yogurt, OJ and a hard boiled egg. Suzanne will tell you it is a soft-boiled egg, but I can tell you it isn't. Also, I made no headway at all with my suggestion that it would be nice to have a dedicated washer/dryer on the premises for the guests even at a fee of, say, 10 Euro a load, instead of having to schlep down to the other end of town to the laundry place that opens up at 2:30 pm, has only 2 machines and costs 8 Euro a load. Ah well, so it goes.

The gods of good travel, but not weather, were with me on this one and you won't go wrong at the Ferme. Happy trails.

Room Tip: I think they are all pretty much configured the same - only difference being directional orientation...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Tayacmike, Owner at Ferme de Tayac, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Dear Truth Traveler
Thank you very much for the kind and frank words bestowed upon us.
We thoroughly enjoyed your company !!
It is unfortunate that notwithstanding Suzanne's best efforts, it remains a fact that Ferme de Tayac is consistent in that the consistency of our "soft boiled" eggs remains inconsistent.
Sorry about that !!
We hope you took away some nice memories from the Armagnac area.
Fondly,
Tempe, AZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Arriving at this incredible B&B, we were met by Suzanne and Mike, our most fabulous hosts and their beautiful English bulldog, Lily! My husband and I have been traveling through Europe for the past two months and our four night stay at Ferme De Tayac far exceeded any other B&B or hotel we have stayed in all our travels. Situated in a beautiful part of the valley, it is walking distance from the quaint village and down the street from Font-De-Gaume, a cave that contains paintings and engravings done by the Cro Magnon people from 19,000 years ago.

This former monastery, restored with love and attention to detail by Suzanne and Mike, is spacious and airy, lovely decorated inside with beautifully maintained grounds outside. Suzanne and Mike are incredibly friendly, funny and interesting and will happily engage in a conversation about their life and how they happened upon this jewel in the Dordogne Valley. From the moment we got there, we loved every single thing about our visit, owing much of our joy to the friendliness and helpful suggestions offered from our hosts. Each lazy morning began with a yummy breakfast of cereals, granola with fromage blanc, hard boiled eggs, fresh croissants and bread with jams and butter, orange juice and wonderful coffee or tea. We hated to leave and felt we left a piece of our heart at Ferme De Tayac, but we will most definitely return! Thank you Suzanne and Mike for this memorable time!

Room Tip: All the rooms are beautiful and well appointed.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Tayacmike, Owner at Ferme de Tayac, responded to this review, May 12, 2013
Dear Steve and Ellyn
Thank you very much for your kind words.
Suppose this could be considered a win win situation.
You seem to have liked it here, and we very much enjoyed having you as lovely guests!
Affectionately,
Mesa, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

We stayed for a week At Ferme De Tayac and had the best time ever. Before we even arrived Suzanne and Mike were accommodating us. We had an extra day in our vacation to book and even though their inn was full, they provided a nice room for us. Then the next day we moved to our reserved room which was spacious and very nicely decorated. Breakfast and happy hour times developed into just the most memorable experiences. Everyone felt so relaxed and comfortable. Breakfast generally lasted about an hour and a half with everyone sharing about their lives and travels. We even had a group hug at the end of the visit. And we had the hospitality of Suzanne and Mike to thank for all of it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
oswestry
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

From the moment we arrived to the morning of our stay we were made to feel most welcome by both Mike & Suzanne. Their restoration of the former monastery can only be described as stunning and done to a very high standard. We loved Suzanne`s quirky taste which only added to the atmosphere
Our bedroom was and well fun.rished Huge & V. comfortable The en-suite was fitted to a high standard.
We thoroughly enjoyed the delightful breakfast and our long chats with our fellow guests. The garden was beautiful but alas we were so busy all day exploring the delightful Dordogne that we did not have time to relax in it!
Many congratulations Suzanne & Mike and long may you continue to delight hundreds more guests. We are busy recommending Ferme de Tayac to all and sundry.
Thank you for your welcome. We hope to return !!
We have.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Tayacmike, Owner at Ferme de Tayac, responded to this review, September 22, 2012
Dear Bryan and Bud (wonder how many people, like me, will look this up?)
Thank you very much for all the kind words in your review.
However, it is not just your hosts or the place that make for a nice stay.
You play just as large a part in making it a memorable occasion.
And you did !!
Thanks
Mike

Been to Ferme de Tayac? Share your experiences!