“Good value, location, helpful staff - would recommend, I'm going back !” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Atalaye

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Biarritz
Hotel Atalaye
6 rue des Goelands | Plateau de l'Atalaye, 64200 Biarritz, France   |
Ranked #60 of 69 Hotels in Biarritz
Dublin
“Good value, location, helpful staff - would recommend, I'm going back !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2007

I was very satisfied with the Hotel Atalaye from my stay in July 07. Description from the website and subsequent details obtained from the hotel were 'spot-on' in terms of accuracy, no unwanted surprises !.
The room we had was very bright with a great view of the Atlantic, and the staff were very pleasant and helpful at all times. I'm returning to Biarritz next month for a few days and was delighted to get accommodation at the Hotel Atalaye, that's my vote of confidence!.

• Liked — No nasty surprises, it did what it said on the tin! It was also very bright (but can't speak for all rooms!)
  • Disliked — The steep climb from nearby streets up to the Hotel, but this is minor, the climb is very short !
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2007

Well, I reserved a room back in Feb and had to cancel it due to travel changes a couple of weeks ago. I am still waiting for them to refund my deposit!!! Looks like it's not gonna happen as no one is getting back to me!!!

So, dear people, please think before you book this hotel!

Stayed May 2007
PARIS
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2006

On our way back from Segovia, my colleague insisted for staying in Biarritz, I was in favour of stopping in San Sebastian/Donostia
We arrived in Biarritz therefore without a reservation and went around, we stopped at the Atalye due to its location. How wrong ... first of all we were "greeted" by the manager/owner, who asked for advance payment in a very abrupt way ... an extremely rare occurence, in my many years of travelling in France it was the first time, it is common in anglo-saxon countries but not in France, it is considered extremely rude, I was about to leave but I was not alone and it was getting late, so we stayed and took possession of our rooms, they both appeared extremely messy with an orrendous smell, the bathrrom was dirty and uncomfortable. The decoration - flowery - was an excellent example of what you should not do ... On top of that it was extremely noisy, busy street with a lot of motorbike traffic ...

The breakfast was extremely basic even by French standards.

POSSIBLY THE WORST HOTEL I HAVE BEEN, A PLACE TO FORGET, TOO BAD FOR BIARRITZ

Stayed October 2004
Sussex, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2006

My wife and I stayed at the Hotel Atalaye in Biarritz for a week in October 2006. We are mature travellers who look for a combination of value and interest and often visit France from our home in the south of England. We knew in advance that this is a two star rated small hotel of the 'belle epoque' style, with only 30 or so rooms. We prefer the friendliness of small hotels to the larger corporate style hotels and we had no expectations of air conditioning and all the other add ons which make for higher room rates.

The staff at the hotel are predominantly young and we found them cheery, friendly and helpful. When I decided after a few days of walking our legs off that we would like to hire a car to enable us to go down into Spain and up into the Basque country the young man on reception arranged everything and faxed our details through to the car hire company. An hour later we were equiped with a three month old Kia Picanto. When the hire company failed to collect the car as arranged Valerie took over the keys and dealt with it for us.

The location of the hotel is so central that all the places of interest are easily walkable and the coast, in particular, is very picturesque. Our room was on the top floor with plenty or space and a double aspect, one of which looked across the bay (I'll attempt to attach a photo of the view from the room).

I think this is a great little hotel for travellers who don't want stuffiness, pretensions or high costs.

Brian Eley

Eastbourne, East Sussex
England

• Liked — Plenty of space
  • Disliked — Modern bathroom would improve experience but facilities are adequate
  • Tips/Secrets — Eat out but explore for cheaper restaurants off main street eg towards old port
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2006

Whoever wrote that this place is one step above a youth hostel was being generous. I would not recommend staying here unless you are college student travelling on a very tight budget (or, alternatively, a surfer living out of your EuroVan). Our room was tiny and dark. However, my main complaint is simply that the place was not clean.I was up all nights sneezing with water eyes and an itchy nose, which only stopped when i left the room. Upon examination in the morning, i found that the pillows were literally stuffed with something that looked like 100 handfuls of balled up laundry lint. Yuck.

In addition, perhaps in an effort to save energy or money, the hotel keeps all hallway lights OFF. Which means that coming up the stairs to our room we were forced to feel around the dark walls to find the light switch in order to find our way to our room. This was not only annoying, but also, just plain dangerous.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — not clean
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2006

We arrived at this hotel at around 1600 to find that they had sold our room to other tourists. When questioned about this they suggested that we had given them a wrong credit card number. August is the busiest season in Biarritz and to be stuck without a room after a day's journey from Bilbao with a pregnant wife was disgraceful! We were not offered a taxi to the tourist office/alternative hotel and when we finally found somewhere else to stay it was way over budget due to the last minute nature of our reservation. We had booked and confirmed the Atalye weeks in advance.

PS - on arrival it looked a dump!

• Liked — Nada
  • Disliked — The rudness of staff
  • Tips/Secrets — Do not stay here for all the tea in china (and India)
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Denver, CO
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2005

Stayed 3 nights at the Hotel Atalaye in May 2004. This is a very basic, budget lodging -- one notch up from a hostel because it has private baths. Good location in town, close to Place St. Eugenie. Friendly staff. The clientele is generally quite young -- college students or recent college grads. No common areas other than the small lobby.

All the rooms have been renovated in the last few years and have been decorated with charm. However, there's wide variation in room size (priced accordingly). I saw a couple of rooms before making my choice. The cheapest room was claustrophobia-inducing; no room for anything other than the bed. For about $10 more, I was able to get a much more spacious, airy room (windows on 2 sides) -- comfortable for me as a solo traveler. My room was reasonably clean and made up daily.

The bathroom was tiled and renovated -- adequate but not really comfortable. The tub had a shower head attached to a hose (European-style) but no curtain, so I had to crouch low while showering to avoid spraying water all over the place (and also had to hold the hose with one hand, since the shower head wasn't attached to the wall). Despite the renovation, the sink had a large crack in it, which contributed to the ambiance of slight disrepair.

The lighting was inadequate and the desk lamp didn't work properly.

The Hotel Atalaye is a decent place for those comfortable staying in basic lodgings and on a small budget. Others will be disappointed.

• Stayed May 2004

Been to Hotel Atalaye? Share your experiences!